1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone from Show Low or Snowflake, AZ

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoobedoo, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

White Mountain Trap & Skeet is the only place I know of in the area.

http://www.wmtrapandskeet.com/

Show Low sits at an elevation of about 6500 feet above sea level and winters there can be quite severe with frigid temps and deep snow. I grew up in the state but haven't lived there for decades, however I can tell you that outside of the two main cities of Phoenix and Tucson, and a few of the larger towns, trap shooting clubs and ranges are few and far between unfortunately.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you want to live in the sticks, you picked the right places.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

No I haven't. But it's a long ride to anyplace from Show Low. Not that it's a bad place, just a long ride to Phoenix.

4. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

My sister has a summer cabin near Show Low, it's a small but modern town that sits in the heart of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest atop Arizona's Mogollon Rim. Arizona is a BIG state, it's 179 miles plus or minus to Phoenix from Show Low, mostly over 2 lane state highways, in clear weather it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive, the drive itself however is through some of the most scenic country to be found anywhere in the nation. It's hard for many people from the East to imagine just how big a state like Arizona really is, to put it in perspective one particular county in the state is larger than the entire state of Maryland, and Arizona has 15 counties!

5. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

By "religious monoculture" I assume you are referring to the Mormon presence in the area. Arizona has the 4th largest Mormon population after Utah, California, and Idaho, but having grown up in the state as a non-Mormon I can tell you without any hesitation that in my experience they are really no different than any other religious group whether it be Catholic, Jewish, or whatever, in their behavior towards people of other faiths, despite being painted as weird, cultlike, and having ten wives etc. by the Liberal media. If this religious monoculture thing is all that's holding you back I think you can rest easy. That being said, you're not likely to find any synagogues in Show Low if you happen to be Jewish, but there are several Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, and other Christian denominational churches in and around the town.

6. DJSims

DJSims Member

The Pleasant Valley Trap Club has four registered events in the Sierra Ancha mountains about an hour+ from Show Low.

The shoots attract 35-40 shooters, and throw 600 targets over the weekend during the summer months.

2013 Schedule -

May 25-26 Pleasant Valley

June 29-30 Pleasant Valley

July 27-28 Pleasant Valley

August 24-25 Pleasant Valley

Program -

Saturday - Singles, Handicap, Doubles

Sunday - Doubles, Singles, Handicap

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Our mountain cabin uses a pellet stove, in part, for heat. Sometimes the pellets come from Show-Low Az., and sometimes from Columbia City Oregon.

The pellets from show-low tend to leave my hands with a rash/itch. I prefer the Columbia City pellets. Wonder what kind of trees are around Show-Low?

8. Firewater

Firewater Member

The pellets from Shoot Low are made from burro dung.They should burn hot,though.Mike

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

From trapshooting to retirement to religion to donkey crap .... now that is a full coverage thread!

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Google it and you will find more information that you could possibly want to know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

The predominate species of tree found in the forests around Show Low is the Ponderosa Pine, a tree that can grow to great heights (200 feet plus) and live for 400 years, the wood has many uses but I wasn't aware that pellet stove fuel was one of them, presumably using the sawdust from lumbering and milling operations. Ponderosa pine is also found in great abundance in parts of California and... you guessed it... Oregon.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

www.city-data.com This site will tell you all you want to know about cities all across the country ...Probably more then you want to know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm liking Yarnell. Best year round climate, and you can be free of heart stopping excitement while you watch the roses grow and the paint dry.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.