1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone familiar with S&W serial numbers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I just picked up a Smith 4" barrel 22. It looks exactly like the model 34 kit gun my wife once owned but there is no model # on the yoke. just a serial# 28748. Could it be one of the first kit guns? Can anyone help identify it. Thanks, Bulge.

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

How about a picture? If it's j frame size you are probably correct, if it's bigger it could be a K22. I'm getting some popcorn ready for when your buddy 77 sees this.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

It is a J frame that's why I mentioned the model 34. Mike.

4. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Bulge:

One guy in the area who know these things is Nathan over at Bullseye Gun Vault in New Alex. He is on Main Street just off of 22, I think he has a sign out on 22 as to where to turn coming from the 'Burgh. He has some imperssive ones laying in a case in there as well as some killer old Winchesters. The building is an old bank and the Winshesters are displayed in the vault. The boy has a problem with Winchesters but he inherited it from his grandfather so it's not his fault.

Courtney

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

If it is a .22 LR & a J frame 4" bbl,with that # it would have been made in 1956 or early '57. There would be no model # shown. The actual serial # should be on the bottom of the butt,may be covered by the grips. A gun pic would verify all.
    From the Standard Catalog of S&W by Supica,3rd Edition.

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

J frame with small grips.Didn't think to look at the bottom of the frame. Have not been playing with handguns for sometime. Serial # 28748 is on the bottom of the frame also. It is a 22 LR.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pre-model 34 .22 revolver.

does it have a trigger guard screw?

is it a 5 or 4 screw? does it have a sideplate screw high on the side by the hammer..

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Is there a screw on the front of the grip frame towards the bottom edge?

Or... remove the grip and tell us if the hammer spring is coil or leaf.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

No triggerguard screw, 3 screws on the side plate, No screw by the hammer.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

well, my guess is going to be a Model of 1953 .22/32 Kit gun.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Postwar production of the .22/32 models begins again on Sept 6, 1950, starting at s/n 551,123. These were identical to pre-war models.

In 1953 the I-frame (not J-frame) .22/32 Target Model of 1953 (which eventually became the Model 35) and the .22/32 Kit Gun Model of 1953 (which became the Model 34) were introduced with a coil mainspring. The frame size is still an I frame. Serial numbers started at 101.

The target model has a 6" barrel and a square butt. The Kit Gun version had a 4" barrel and generally a round butt, though some square butt models have been made.

Trigger guard screw eliminated in 1953 exact date and serial number unknown.

Large fourth side plate screw ("bug screw") eliminated Dec 13, 1955 at approx. s/n 11,000 of the Model 1953 series. (The corresponding .38 versions were at S/N 75,000. The different s/n range confuses collectors.)

Model type stamped in yoke beginning in 1957.

I frame superseded by the J frame in Oct 1960 at approx. s/n 70,000. J-frame models are 34-1 and 35-1.

Your s/n, 28,748, and the lack of the "bug screw", and the lack of a model number in the yoke, probably dates your gun to somewhere in 1956. That's my best estimate.

Edit: BTW, there is a lightweight version of the Kit Gun, which all of the above applies to, except it went into production in Nov 1954 around s/n 5000. Is your frame steel or aluminum? The latter would be a rare find.

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Coil spring. Notice the thumb release. Not like most i've seen. Anyone know the value?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You can find most references of change by serial number in Jinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.