1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever use 800X for handicap load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I was looking in the loading manual this weekend and it looks like this powder has some pretty low pressures. Has anyone had any luck using this powder for faster handicap loads. How's the recoil?

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Doesn't meter worth a poo. Recoil same as everything. I have some I can't find a use for except handgun loads.

jim brown

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Very fast. Makes a good load for long yardage such as in games. Too much recoil

4. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

everybody says it doesnt meter well? i ran and weighed twenty five of them and found + - .5 grain diff at most. I'm loading a 1250 1 1/8 handicap with them. Pretty nice hits with these. Perry

5. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Kgun

I used to use it a lot years ago for protection. I liked it as the felt recoil seems to be less abrupt compared to 700X. The only trouble I found with it was having such low pressures, there was a lot of unburned powder left in the barrel. I know people will tell you I am all wet on the felt recoil statement but my cheek will agree with me.JMHO

Brian

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

800X is better suited to heavy 1 1/4oz 12 gauge and standard 20 & 28 gauge loads. 800X has a large flake size and does not meter well, press operation must be very consistent to insure consistent powder drops.

Michael

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

I've never tried it for handicap loads, but it is one of my favorite powders for 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 loads for games.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I got a keg of 800x years ago because I thought you really needed high vel to break those clays. Lets call it a learning experience. I doubt my shells would have been ATA legit. Noise and recoil were high. Targets didn't break any better than with 'standard' trap loads. Like other posters have said, 800x is much better in a heavy 1 1/4 Oz hunting load application.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mag 410 is correct. When it first came out we had a couple guys trying it, and it was crap. Nice for ounce and a quarter hunting loads, not good for trap.

HM

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I used it a few times...if you plan to use it in very cold weather its best to use a very hot primer like the Fed209A's for consistant ignition

11. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

I too have used it and all that was said here is true. It will crush targets if they are pointed correctly. My biggest concern with it is the +-.5 grain average spread. Most drops will be close to right on, but some will be -.5 and some will be +.5 grains. That is a potential 1 grain swing between shells. If that does not bother the 6 inches between your ears, use it.

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Ditto Mag410. Fred

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

800X makes dandy one ounce 20 gauge hunting loads.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

For trap loads, I think it's a little slow. Field loads in the 1 1/4 oz range would be a better use as would some 20 ga loads. I've never had real trouble getting it to meter consistently. It might vary a tenth or so more or less than other powders. It's a great handgun powder in certain calibers and loads. Something like Green Dot, Unique, Herco, Universal Clays, PB, and a host of others might be more appropriate for handicap loads running 1200 fps or more. I usually get better consistency with loads developing 8500 PSI or more, especially in colder weather. I usually don't go over 10,000. Primers can make a difference in consistency and pressure, especially in colder weather. My favorite heavy handicap load uses the Downrange Versalite Wad, Unique powder, and a Remington hull. I load them to 1250 fps and have selected a primer that works in all weather and gives good consistency (velocity) from shot to shot. They were consistent in a larger bore barrel in colder weather, where many other loads were not.

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

With 1.125, its plenty boomy. Neighbors may not like shooting with you...

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have used it for my heavy loads 1 1/4 oz +. Use a hot primer for cold weather.
    Clyde

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with Martin. When guys began loading trap loads with 800X when it first appeared on the market for reloaders it was supposed to be the end all for powders. You could tell immediately who was shooting 800X reloads, it was LOUD! Common things they would say is, "that guy is shooting an illegal load!" "I can tell by the sound!" That was when reloaders were led to believe that a 3 dram 1200 FPS load was the velocity limit for trapshooting?

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.