1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever solder titanium

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I think I finally have a line on some Titanium barrel stock. If it works out..I'll own 2 blanks to turn to spec and install in a Perazzi mono-block. My question.. Has anyone ever soldered titanium to steel??? All Good.. Mike

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Joining Ti to even other Ti has a lot of issues. Use Dennis' super glue.

<i>Soldering. The successful soldering of titanium has been demonstrated. To obtain a rapid economical joint requiring little strength, soldering is preferable to other methods of joining. Samples should be prepared by depositing of thin films of silver, copper, or tin on titanium from their chloride salts. This is usually accomplished by heating the chloride salt-coated titanium in a helium atmosphere furnace. The resultant film can he wetted with either a 60% tin-40% lead or a 50% tin-50% lend solder employing commercial soldering fluxes.</i>

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I bet it isn't the rib PBB is thinking about, I'm guessing he's wondering about the barrel to the mono block. Super glue won't cut it there I wouldn't think. I used to work for NASA and my suggestion is thread it together. Ok I didn't used to work for NASA but I don't think sliver solder will work because of the difference in heating and cooling rates.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

SBE, nah, Dennis mates the bbl tenon in the mono-block with a glue.

Any heat applied after his Maraging(?) VAR steel bbls are treated screws the very properties he selects that particular steel for, screws things up ... and Ti has greater issues when it is heated in an O2 atmosphere. Lots of issues.

Flodman/Caprinus 'tins' their tenon in molten pure silver, then mates it with the block in a Helium- or Argon-atmosphere furnace.

It's do-able, but not straightforward.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Mike would it not be about as easy to machine a demi-bloc, deep bore the blank and dovetail them? Programming your machine is the big cost, I'd think, then sent the blanks to any one of under-employed several mil-spec boring companies.

vice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Think J-B Weld would do the job? I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!

7. sliverbulletexpress

Well if anyone can do it PBB can didn't he make a Cole out of titanium? I've been around it just a little but I'm wondering about reaming and polishing the bore tapping it for choke tubes. How ya gonna do that PBB? Seems like at least the kind I was around wouldn't ream or polish too easy. I guess somebody has to break the new ground besides Joe.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

On the Cole I threaded the barrel and mono-block..and just screwed them together.. Easy to do on a CNC when you are machining the single barrel mono-block.. On the Perazzi mono-block it's not that easy.. I might need to remove the barrels and install a threaded sleeve in it.. then screw in the barrel.. I also could bore the barrels out a bit..and use the remaining stub to thread or the 3M adhesave.. I spoke to Dennis about on the Cole..just it was easier to thread them.. I'll be using grade 9 CWSR material..because no heat will have been applied to the TI to that point. and stress relieved.. Stu Wright will do the bore polishing,chambering..and choking.. His diamond hone can easily handle the TI..

Wish me luck.. I'll know in a day or two if they have any blanks for sale.. All Good.. Mike

BTW.. This might get me back into shooting..(a new project)..

9. sliverbulletexpress

We will want pics you know that. Good luck.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Goatskin.. I tried with no success to deep hole drill TI a few years back. It would have required money I just don't have today for what might be a useless project..Not alot of people wanted to drill 35" holes in Titanium.. Then.. the blank alone would have been quite expensive.. This is tubestock.. the correct size.. I'll taper it on my lathe using a backrest..and have Nick do the final polish on his centerless grinder..

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I wish you better luck using TI tubes for barrels, than John Force had using them for exhaust headers.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

A lot of gun Mfgrs use an adhesive or epoxy to attach Bbls to mono-blocs and very tight tolerances, it works look at the Mach-one and Infinity by Dennis Devault.

Kreighoffs have problems with Bbls coming loose.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I spoke to the rep on the tubing.. First the maybe bad news.. He thinks the lengths might be shorter than the 36" I asked about.. I'll know in a day.. the good news.. The 3m adhesive he highly reccomends as that is what is currently used in the aero space industry.. Same stuff Dennis used.. So.. that's where I stand now.. BTW.. anyone have any junk MX barrels I can buy for the mono-block??

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You found some Gr 5 Ti-6a 4v tube ? ! ? ... .700 hole (more-or-less?) .125± wall?

dang. you're good.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Grade 9 cold worked stress relieved.. should have about 110,000 psi tensile strength.. should be enough..

16. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

A few months ago I asked my Loctite Rep about an adhesive to bond Titanimum to steel and they had two choices at that time. If you are interested I would call Loctite and ask for a local rep in your area. They have always been more than helpful in solving these issues. The adhesive I use on our guns will not work with the Titanimum to steel bond. Let me know if I can help.

Dennis DeVault

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hi Dennis.. When you helped me a few years ago with the Titanium Cole.. I got the information.. I have to look it up again.. but I'm thinking something like #571 with a primer.. and curing compound.. Don't hold me to that number... While I have your ear.. If it gets that far.. you'll be doing the "short rib".. If i can get you motivated for a pain in the butt project.. Hell.. I probably can't shoot worth a crap anymore.. I might as well have fun.. All Good.. Mike

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Dennis, while you're here talking exotics, might you have any ideas on how to blue MARAGING 300 VIM/VAR? 18% Ni and essentially carbonless (0.03, max)?

Bob

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mike, Keep us up to date on your project. Sounds interesting. Dave

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The wait is killing me.. I just sent a E-mail to him.. awaiting his return from the warehouse.. This is a difficult and expensive alloy to find in this form and size.. I'm not big enough for a "run" of 500 pounds or more.. So.. here's my 1 chance.. Usually anything over .060 is scarce in 1" tubing.. Time will tell.. I'll keep you posted..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.