1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Ever Shot A 3 Gun Competition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I am not very familiar with this type of shoting but from what I have heard it sounds fun. Has anyone here shot one of these competition and if so how do you get started? I am in NW Ohio, does anyone know of a club in the area that shoots 3 gun? I know you need a pistol, shotgun, and AR15, all of which I have, now i just need the know how and practice. Any suggestions?

2. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

You know that sounds like fun, but I am out with the AR15, maybe a single barrel, an over/under and a side by side would be a good 3 gun also.

Hey I am in NW Ohio also, if you find one of these let me know, might be just fun to watch! That or hubby will complain cause I want an AR15...just kidding!

Deb

3. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I agree it looks like fun. Blue water sportsmans assoc in marysville michigan has them. icon for combat

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes and it is fun, but like all the shooting games it becomes an equipment race. You can get into it with a stock configuration pistol, a pump action shotgun and a scoped bolt action rifle but it won't be long until you just have to have the zoomiest custom rendering of all three guns.

The basic idea is run and gun. Also, in the shotgun portion slugs and/or buckshot may be required on certain targets so get ready to take a beating. Kind of a young man's game I think.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

For me, shooting a three event competition (singles, handicap and doubles) is the most fun.

Pat Ireland

6. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

It does sound like fun, might have to take a drive on a weekend. I straight east about 3/4 of the state away.

John MI

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I belonged to a club in CA that has a yearly club championship shoot. 50 trap targets, 25 singles, 25 handicap, 50 skeet targets, 20 shots with a rifle and 20 with a handgun with all shot from four positions. It's a very well attended fun shoot and well run too! Good food and nice prizes for the winners and placers in all events. This shoot format is the most fun shoots I've ever attended!! This wasn't the run & gun stuff you see on TV but it was FUN and everyone enjoys it each year!!

Hap

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have never done it. My dad has plaques covering the whole wall from the 3 gun run. That was back when 5.56 was really cheap. I know he had a lot of fun doing it.

9. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I've shot a few. They are a ton of fun. 3 gun is a variation of practical pistol shooting.

The ones I've shot were affiliated with the USPSA. You can check out their website at USPSA.ORG.

There is a great website called brianenos.com that has a shooting forum with lots of info.

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Click on USPSA.org Then click on your state for a list of
    USPSA affifiated gun clubs. Not all hold three gun matches
    however.

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have done it & I love it. Especially in the open class guns where anything goes. Like the guy in FL that had 20 round 1100. My kid used to knock down 6 large steel poppers in under 3 seconds with an 1100 starting with safety on,port arms. He used Gold Medal Extra Lite loads.

12. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I looked at the USPSA website but it does not seem to be specific as to the clubs that hold 3 gun competitions. I suppose I will just have to do some more asking around.

Oh yeah, and I LOVE sports that lead to "equipment races" that satisfys both my urge to shoot and my urge to buy shooting items, best of both worlds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.