1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever shoot Ithaca 37 field gun for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Has anyone on TS.com shot a ribbed Ithaca 37 field gun (modified choke or otherwise) for trap?

Can you break enough targets for it to be fun?

What about recoil and face slap?

Thanks
    Lou

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Just put the lead on the target..

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I shot one back in the 1960's. It had a full choke, vent rib, and field stock and it was MY first shotgun. I added a recoil pad after the first few days of shooting. It was a light gun and pounded me a bit, but not bad enough to stop shooting. I broke my first 25 straight with it and eventually broke a 50. Then I got a used Model 12 trap gun and the rest is history. I still have the Ithaca. I got it for S&H Green Stamps. I can still taste the glue from all of those stamps. Somebody told me to use a sponge, of course only after I was done with a few shopping bags full of stamps. My Dad had a strange sense of humor. I've inherited it.

I started reloading and found that I could load a one ounce light load and actually shoot the gun without much pain. Full house 3 dram 1 1/8 oz loads started to get noticed after about 100 shots. Lighter loads were no trouble. By the way, my first 25 was with light 1oz loads. We used the old Winchester paper hulls back then with Card and Fiber wads and eventually used plastic wads and hulls. It was a bear to shoot with the "Baby Magnums" we used for ducks and geese. We were still allowed to use lead shot back then and it was eventually possible to load 1 1/2 oz of lead shot up to near 1250 fps. Thank goodness the daily bag limits were light, since the loads were not.

The biggest complaint was loading the gun with only one shell. It had to be fed and emptied from the same port, but at different times. I just ended up working the action an extra cycle, or putting a shell into the mag before ejecting the last one fired. Just be careful about keeping your finger off the trigger when you close the action. They didn't use disconnectors back then.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Quack. I have a DU 40th. I shot it for a local league back in the late 70's I believe. It was (is) a 30" FC wiht very nice stuff on it. I am going shooting today, but will try and get a pic up of the gun. I never found the bottom load/ejection thingy a problem. Just stuff the shell in the mag and cycle the slide.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The 37 is a fine classic shotgun, John Browning designed. It's a bit light and flat-shooting for trap, but certainly good enough to have some fun with. I always enjoy seeing someone breaking 25-Straights with a modest shotgun, and it can certainly be done with a 37. Do a search and you find instructions on how to load one round at a time for trap, similar to how it's done with a BPS.

Get a good recoil pad and have yourself some fun!

GARY

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've owned one mod.37 and shot everything with it. I had no trouble at all loading a shell with mine? I just pushed the forearm forward slightly and placed the shell directly into the chamber pushing the dual feed arms up.

These guns have the simplest trigger/hammer design of any pump I've ever had too! John Browning knew his stuff! Good shotguns and with heavier wood and weight will break clays with authority!! Hap

7. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Here is the Ithaca 37R field gun I want to try for trap.
    It was made in 1940 and I had it restored nicely by Frank Vallone of Sycamore Hill Designs. Although the metal was excellent, it could not be shot as purchased because of a crack in the head. Now it is like new.

I will let people know how it handles at the trap club.

Lou

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TW2

TW2 TS Member

i have one- i can't hit the side of a barn with it

it probably doesn't fit me right

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It's pretty light for a target gun. It is more difficult to move it smoothly to a target than a heavyer more disciplined gun but I broke a lot of clays with one. It just got to the point where I could no longer discipline the gun to the bird so I went to an XT Trap.

10. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I own a 12 and a 16 ga. 37. The 16 was my main duck gun for years. The barrel had been shortened from 28 to 26 inches and this made it a cylinder choke. I was a kid then and until a gunsmith told me it had been shortened I believed the "Full" choke marking on the barrel. I tried to shoot trap with the 12 (it was in new condition when I bought it and really had a full choke) but it didn't fit me right. My father really liked it though, so on father's day I showed him the 37 and a Sweet 16 Browning. I had recently bought both and secretly had decided that whichever gun he liked better would be his Fathers Day gift. He choose the 37. Is there such a thing as "Brothers Day"? Because my brother got the Browning and I received thank you's from them both.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

We have a fellow at a local club that shoots a Browning BPS field gun. He does rather well with it and never complains about recoil. He's also an "ex" jarhead, if there is such a thing, so he wouldn't complain if it kicked the snot out of him. My 37 is a basic economy grade gun with no extras, except the Vent Rib and Recoil pad, both were added after I got it. The original barrel developed a crack in the chamber, so Ithaca was going to send a replacement barrel. They upgraded me to a Vent Rib when I asked to pay the difference. They never asked for anything, except to get the old barrel back. It was probably a couple of shells shy of a Kaboom. I usually do a thorough inspection when I clean a gun, and there appeared to be something wrong with this one. Couldn't clean the little line out of the chamber, no matter WHAT I tried. Glad I had good eyesight back then. The odd part is that it never had a reload put through that barrel and only a case or two of factory stuff, when a case was actually a case (20 Boxes of 25).

12. henrims

henrims Member

I have a 37 factory monte carlo trap stock for sale, with factory trap style recoil pad. $100 shipped.
    PM if interested.

Mike

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep, We have also a guy at our local club shoots an old field grade, full choke, Ithaca 37... only gun he owns.... Beware the one gun owner... shoots 24/25's all the time. tuff to beat him.

JC

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

When I got out of college and had a real job teaching high school for the grand sum of $5700/year (1967) I bought a model 37 with a 28" modified choke barrel along with a 20" (I think) "deerslayer" barrel. I shot a lot of trap with that gun, won a few local events and had a great time with it. Missed it so much, forty some years later that I picked up an English stocked ultrafeatherlight the other day at a good price. Won't shoot trap with it but will enjoy it on quail and maybe a round or two of (ugh) skeet.

15. coho

coho Member

The first time I shot trap it was with a model 37 Ithaca. The stock was too short so my thumb smacked my nose every time I pulled the trigger. By the time I had shot 25 I was flinching pretty hard. I put one of those leather tie on comb raisers on it so my thumb would fit below my face and I shot it one more round. My thumb didn’t hit my nose any more but then I tried my dads 1100 and that’s the last time I ever shot a model 37 for anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can i use an ithaca 37 to shoot trap
ithaca 37 open to modified choke

ithaca 37 trap

ithaca 37 trap gun
ithaca 37 trap gun for sale
ithaca m37 trap parts
ithaca model 37 trap gun for sale
old ithaca 37 trap