1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Ever Shoot 9 Shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

How did it work from the 16 yard line?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Turns the bird into dust.

Not recommended for 27 yards.

3. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

I like #8 1/2 for 16 yards. But I'm not the only one who uses #9 for the first bird in doubles. - Mark

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

9's will work if you shoot fast. If you want small shot better to use 8 1/2's.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

#9s will work for singles but I have seen targets get a bunch of dust knocked off them with #9 shot and not break. You always wonder if a larger shot size would have made the difference or if a bad shot is a bad shot and different pettet size wouldn't have changed the outcome.

I like #8 up close and #7 1/2 on the back line. The #9s are great in the small gauges on the skeet field. Nothing wrong with sticking with what works.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used 7/8 oz of 9s for 16 yards, 1st shot of doubles, skeet, and many, more than half I'd guess, of shots at Sporting Clays, including rabbits. For skeet and trap I have a history of more than 15 years with that load and then with sporting, much less. I've soundly convinced a couple of A and AA class sporting shooters and they'll never tell but call it their secret/magic load. I take a great deal of heat on this forum for those facts but firmly believe in what provides confidence will bring success.

Numbers? My 16 yard average in most recent years, and before serious problems with the right arm and hand which has caused me to cease registering Trap birds, was either on the cusp of or just into AA class with several 100 straights; far better than with heavier loads. My skeet and 5 stand is all for fun and work on proper swinging of the gun and quoting averages has never been a concern. Sporting is still pretty new to me but I've shot in the 70s and low 80s routinely whether shooting 1 1/8 oz, 1 oz, or 7/8 oz loads. I'm told here the 9s simply can not break rabbits but will attest to the fact that if they are pointed at, they are demolished. When we speak of pellet count, the 7/8 oz load of 9s has roughly 512 of the rascals, more than an oz of 8s or 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s......do, breakemall.....Bob Dodd

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

USAMU at FtBenning GA, used to shoot Intl Skeet with Federal T-123s, 3.5 dram,1&1/8 oz. of #10 shot. I've still got a box, got them in 1977.
    Winchester used to load something similar with 2mm. shot, slightly smaller than #9s. Both kicked like mules !!

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I shoot it and have no problems until like mentioned be ahab your at the 27 it may or may not break a target

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

9's have the energy at 20 that 8.5's have at 30 that 8's have at 40 that 7.5's have at 50. A quick shot will break targets at 30 yards in 16 yard trap. 8.5's work good. 9's will dust some targets you let get out a little too far. 9's are best at skeet, a 20 yard game, and very close sporting clays shots.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have shot number 9's from the 27 just for yucks and missed a target so I know they are a disadvantage from there ... You have to shoot fast, very fast or you will be toast ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You can push 1 ounce of 8.5's to 1300 fps and get another 5 yards to 35 yards. Now you have a workable 16 yard trap load.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd like the source of that linear 30-40-50 yard energy too!!

Hap

13. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I have used one ounce nines for 16 yard, skeet of course, occasionally 1st doubles shot, etc. They destroy 16 yard targets. I've also seen dust only from 16 yard targets with 1 1/8 ounce 71/2's with fringe hits. If someone will give me a good price on 9's I will use them for singles the rest of my days. Now then, 9's at 27 are a different story.

Per Bob Dodd above, I have witnessed at least several 100 straights with his 7/8 oz. nines while on the same squads. For curiosity I have loaded a lot of 7/8 oz. #8's and #9's for use in practice and skeet and doubt if 16 yard scores would change very much if 7/8 were mandated for use. Also I would support the use of one ounce maximum for all three trap games as I already use one ounce for singles and doubles, but can't make myself use them for long handicap unless everyone had to.

JMO

Larry

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I've been making my own shot for three years now. Exclusively 9's, I shoot 9's for everything. and dont seem to have a problem. I shoot it at the 22 yard line and get decent scores. Of course I am not a great shot but I personally dont think that a bigger size shot is gonna increase my scores. At this point I think its all personal preference. We all seem to have our one great day in the sun.

15. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have not used #9s much, but a couple of years ago I had four boxes with me and four boxes of #8s at the 200 singles event of the Florida State Shoot. I shot the 9s in the morning (no wind) and the 8s that afternoon and won my class with a 199.

I have used them twice since, but have not had that level of success.

I still have a few boxes which I have been using for the first shot of doubles.

I think I will stick with 8s and larger.

Bob

16. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

I have used 9's for singles & doubt that they would cost you any targets compared to 8's, especially if shot at any altitude. I accidently took a couple of boxes of light 9's to a turkey shoot & thought I had grabbed light 8's. I like to use light loads for my shot & 3 dram for back up shots or even heavier at turkey shoots. Anyway back to my story, I grabbed the nines thinking they were 8's & crushed targets from 27 yards. Then I noticed it & immediately changed to 8's. I have also shot light 8.5's from 27 yards with very good results.
    jim

17. checker

checker Member

Use your favorite 1 oz load at 1250 FPS with #9 shot....bump the speed up to 1325 FPS...Lighter recoil than 1 1/8 oz loads by 32%. Drill a 1/8" hole in the center of your plastic wad.....this is the secret along with a drop of ZERO FRICTION oil spread evenly in the inside of the shotcup. The pattern is shaped like a "U" or unbrella.....smoke from 16 YD Line everytime you hit them.
    [​IMG]

18. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

All I use on 16's and 1st shot doubles unless it's cold out. If you point it right, it works.

Ron

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I prefer Kentucky 9's myself along with many shooters I know. They work at every distance.

Don

20. Agitator

Agitator TS Member

With all the yea and nay responses and all the advice, I'm pretty sure Bernard Kalapach from northern Indiana won the Clay Target Championship at the Grand American some years back (early-early 60's), before some of the 'experts' started shooting or were even born. He was shooting Canuck shells, 2 1/2 dr. eq. with #9 shot. And by the way, shooting 3 hole targets. Those shells were optional/available at the shell house back then! As Elmer Keith once said, and named his book, "Hell, I was there".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.