1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever seen a backdrop/curtain to catch shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunner, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Our gun club has a problem with shot falling onto an area we do not lease. Most of the shot falls within our leased property but some does fall outside. We were considering putting up a "curtain" that would catch the shot and keep it on our property.....ie. some kind of material hung between telephone poles.
    Has anyone ever seen this done at other clubs....ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I haven't seen it in person but saw it online. It looks like crap but you have to do what you have to do.

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

try this?

Dave Eberhart

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen them in person, but a couple of years ago a club posted info here on Trapshooters describing them and what their club did to put them up. They are VERY expensive and you need really tall poles to attach them.

You can do a google search for "shot fall curtains" and see what you get.

Kevin

5. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

As a bonus, I would think it would be pretty easy to construct a swale or ditch under the curtain and catch most of the shot. Around here they are selling recycled shot for 22 bucks a bag...might help pay for the curtain.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Used at many ranges in Italy. Will pay for itself many times over. I believe the cost is about $4,000 to $5,000 a field. Shot rolls down the curtain into a gutter like fixture and is harvested periodically. HMB

7. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

think Oakdale, CA gun club uses them - saw an article someplace....

found it: http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/incredible_shot_barrier.pdf

8. williamkelly

williamkelly Member

try pine glen gun club in nj they can help you out

9. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

thanks to everyone for your responses.............!

10. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Bear in mind that the curtain needs to be 80 yards away, otherwise it will be damaged.

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I asked about that after seeing pictures of Lonato. What I heard was they bulldozed the dirt up to make the field and then put the tarps down. There is a ditch/gutter at the bottom of the hill to catch the shot. Also a way to keep the environmental crowd happy. I would also think it would help with sound suppression. Munich did something similar at their range as well. Hal Hitchcock

12. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

It helps that Renato Lamera's family owns the largest earthmoving/excavation firm in Italy. I imagine they did this fantastic landscaping during business downtime.

BTW - the European Championships are being held here next week. I have a friend who is going over there to shoot. (***JEALOUS!!!~)>

[​IMG]

13. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The Billerica Gun club in just outside of Boston Mass has one and I have seen it in person and shot against it myself. SLICK!!!! Their 100 yard range is behind the curtain which can be used while trap is being shot. I have posted one pic I was able to find right quick but I have several others somewhere if you want them. Send me a PM.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.