Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone ever make their own version of a PFS?

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  dflo 
#1 ·
Looking for ideas if anyone has tried to make their own version of a PFS? Please discuss.

#16 ·
I can appreciate the sticker shock one gets when pricing a PFS or one of the other "recoil reducing stocks". I have no doubt about the claims made or the appreciative comments made by users of these stocks. Perceived recoil reduction with fully adjustable fit features make this a desireable accessory.
But when the accessory costs more than the gun you wish to place it on, for many, a new plan is required.

If a person is more than just mechanically inclined and has access to necessary materials and machinery, I say go for it. I read this post as one shooter looking for help building one stock for himself. If that is the case, what rational would there be in tooling up (at $30,000) to make an appropriate injection molded grip. I also doubt PFS would be willing to sell parts to another company that would be direct competition

I also shoot left handed and find that my needs/desires are most often ignored by the major manufactures. Would'nt it be nice if every gun came from the factory with at least the fully adjustable features? It seems that every instruction advises a new, and even experienced, shooter about the importance of proper gun fit. When are the major companies going to start paying attention?

Being a left handed shooter myself, I also would like to be able to buy a lefty grip for the PFS for my Ljutic Monogun. I believe they were made at one time but no longer. If anyone wishes to part with one please PM or email me at the above address.

Thanks, Marc

#17 ·
I'm also a left handed shooter and have several left hand PFS grips for a number of guns. Like you,I wanted a left hand grip for the TM-1/TMX and was told by Vern it's unavailable......... It turns out, a left handed friend of mine has converted a number of right hand grips to left hand. He did this by cutting off the right hand palm rest and remolding it with glass filled Bondo to the left side. It feels and shoots like a production grip.

Steve

#18 ·
If someone is willing I can machine any grip out of aluminum or Delrin.<br> Just reverse engineer the original stock with a Faro arm. Generate a 3D model make any changes to grip or checkering. Load the 5 axis router with the material and let it do its thing. But it will be more expensive than a grip from Vern but not nearly as expensive as a new injection mold.

Dale

#19 ·
Dale- A couple questions. Could you make a grip for a gun that a PFS grip hasn't previously been inlet for (say I wanted one for a blaser, or DT-10, and PFS doesn't make grips for either)?

Also, could you replicate a forend in a plastic material (I believe the PFS grips are glass filled nylon, but that may be hard on the cutting tools). I've always thought a forend to match the pfs grip would be great, alot more durable than wood.

Any thoughts on pricing for both of the above questions?

#20 ·
Skeet man~ Yes I could make one for just about any shotgun. And yes could make a matching forarm. Would need the stock to scan and gerante a 3D model and then make any changes. I could machine them out ot glass filled nylon it is not to bad on the tools it is just slower to machine. I am working on a model for a fore arm for my MX-2000 RS and my BT-99 right now. I will machine these out of laminated birch and paint the grip and forearm to match. I could machine the grips from laminated birch as well. The stuff looks good and takes finish great. I use it to make a lot of master patterns for castings.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.