1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Ever Had a Trap Gun Armoloyed?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Chance McCall, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Chance McCall

Chance McCall Active Member

It might be ugly- but it sure would be functional.

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Nope I like blued steel and stainless.

Chance McCall thanked this.
  3. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

No, but I'm dying to get a gun refinished in this NP3® Firearm Finish | Robar Guns
    Just need to find the right gun. I'm thinking of a sub gauge pump for skeet fun once in a while

4. Glockamole

Glockamole Member

Had a 1911 competition gun in the early 80's with an Armaloy frame. One of my favorite finishes which held up really, really well.

5. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Who does Armaloy now-a-days? Was popular with Contender shooters years ago.

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member

I had my Model 19 Smith and Wesson 357 done in that when I was a young policeman back in the early 70s. It held up very well and I still have it. It was a place in Texas if I recall correctly.

Bob

7. Chance McCall

Chance McCall Active Member

I have been researching this. There is a franchise chain of Armoloy operators. The one in Fort Worth, Texas apparently does most of the firearm stuff.
    Protect your firearm with Armoloy® TDC

They apparently no longer have a FFL or gunsmith however. You are responsible for disassembling the firearm before shipping and reassembling when you get it back. You also need to retain any springs, etc that are not suitable for the process. This probably explains why the Armoloy name is no longer out there like it was years ago. They have a great product for firearms, but, they no longer offer an easy way of doing business with the average firearms owner.

I am still curious to learn if any trap guns have gotten this treatment and what the owner thinks about the process for a trap shotgun.

mike-sid thanked this.
  8. Jaxshooter

Jaxshooter Active Member

Cerekote is the best finish available today. It will not wear and comes in just about any color you can think of.

9. RideTriumph

RideTriumph TS Member

There is Armoloy of Illinois as well located in DeKalb. Have had a pretty quick turn around with items I had done for work.

10. mac1

mac1 Active Member

I have had several TM1's recievers and iron and trigger armorloyed by Mahovski's in PA. works perfect and looks new
    and lasts forever. It is more durable than the Cerekote finish as I had a 1911 done and I was not nearly as satisfied as with my Armorloyed guns. You can google Mahovski's in PA. and talk wirh him.

Mac

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  11. Michael Terra

Michael Terra Member

Cerekote is nice when done right! It also helps with glare coming off the barrel. It is a great afforable option. On the other hand, how many people have done this with higher end guns? Perrazi's Krieghoffs etc.? I have seen a lot of Cerakote finishes on Brownings, Berettas etc.

12. Jaxshooter

Jaxshooter Active Member

A few friends have had TMX Specials done in Cerekote. The satin chrome finish looks just like chrome plating. I have also seen a few done in black.
    I have two USPSA Open Division Race Guns done in Cerekote. These guns take a lot of abuse from heat. I have yet to wear the finish on either pistol. One has over 35,000 rounds of 38 Super thru it. These loads are very high velocity compared to factory ammo. With a 121 grain jacketed bullet the velocity is 1375 FPS.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    mike-sid thanked this.
  13. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Sounds great, care to share a picture or two? Thanks, Mike

trapp2012 thanked this.