1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Ever Gone With Coating Instead of Bluing?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by IndyShotgun, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Saw these guys at Knob Creek. Looks like a much superior alternative to bluing or parkerizing.

Anyone have experience with this type of finish?

"Whether you have an earlier model firearm that’s showing it’s age, or a newer model you want to protect. Make it a keeper for generations. Never use an oil cloth again! No need to wipe down after use or handling, as the oil from your hands or the elements won’t rust the ceramic finish. Resistant to saltwater, chemicals, scratches, chipping etc. Cerakote™ has a unique ceramic backbone that improves performance and reliability over conventional finishes. This state of the art coating technology is superior in both laboratory and real world applications."

2. Gunsmith@A.A.E.

Gunsmith@A.A.E. TS Member

I agree as we apply it here at the shop with great results. However if not done properly as with any other product- such as not thinning the coats when applying to hinge area`s, extractor/ejectors other internals etc. you will bind, drag, and curse your self for getting it done! Choose your vender wisely.

Ron

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I have one old MX-8 shooter with Ceracote. Done by Kentucky Gun Coating.

The coating is baked on, they completely disassambled the gun before the process, reassambled, and test all moving parts after. It went very well. And the cost is 1/3 of a bluing job. My whole gun in TT color out the door was $165.00

Cerakote is clean, and stay clean after I shot the gun, leaves no finger prints, there're no burned powder residue around barrel portings.

Cerakote will let you name your own private names on the coating, Anyone remember the Sig "factory" K-Kote? I think that's Cerakote too.

Google Kentucky Gun Coating, you'll find Rick's phone #, a real nice guy to work with.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Here's the receiver of the MX-8 Cerakoted:

[​IMG]

5. msmith

msmith Member

I had the Gun Dr. (Doug Braker) put a teflon finish on my Kolar Barrel. It matches the Kolar matt finish. In 1 year, I wore the factory finish off in an area were my thumb rest on the the of the barrel. Now 4 years later with Dougs finish and it still looks great. I wood absolutely reccommend Doug and his finishes. Mike

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Foggy just smeared some white house paint on his M-12.

7. 87AA

87AA TS Member

I have used both Cerakote (on an 1100 receiver) and Gun Kote (on as set of Caesar Guerini barrels). Overall I think that Cerakote with its corrosion resistance is a superior product however unless you're hanging out underwater both products work well. Cerakote also seems to have the edge in lubricity but it's pretty close.

The problems with Cerakote are 1) limited color/size selection for the home user and 2) it's a part A/part B 24:1 mix. While mixing a 25 mL or more isn't a problem anything small becomes a pain. So if you just need to coat a small part like a trigger guard you either mix more than you need or you get the ratio screwed up. With Gun Kote whatever you don't use goes back into the can.

I'm gonna stick with Gun Kote for all my future projects as it's just plain easier to use and works fine for normal target shooting usage.

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of my 90T. It had the factory bluing that was a reddish brown and had completly worn off the bottom.
    Friend of mine did the Cerakote and am very happy with the results. Seems to be much more trouble free than rebluing.
    [​IMG]

9. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I have a Ljutic at Glenrock blue now for Cerakote. They have lots of colors to choose from.GaryL.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Check out the above website. Lots of pics of guns they have done. Bulge.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Rich219" from here does that Cerakote. I saved this ^^^ thread sometime back. I still intend on having some AR parts done.

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If its not a valuable collector gun Cerakote is great but be aware you my considerably hurt the value for future sales and the cost to remove the coatings and re-blue to restore the guns value can be quite high.
    Joe

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Will Cerakote adhere to aluminum receivers and does it fill in fine line engraving like on Beretta A301 autos? Anyone with experience on this type or even AL-2 Beretta autos?

milt

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

milt--It will work on AR15 recievers and they are aluminum. The link i provided shows an AR15 reciever redone with the process.

Matt

15. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Milt,

Works great on aluminum and provided it's not sprayed too thick it won't fill in fine engraving.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Glenrock BLue has done several of my H-S rifles in Cerakota, one of my B/Rest ones done is desert sand, an AR15 in olive drab, etc.

It is not very expensive and I am 100% thrilled with their work.

Whiz

17. high 2

high 2 Member

I sent a customers K80 light weight to be cerakoted. When I got the gun back and reassembled the coating chipped off around the hinge pins and the barrel had to be redone twice before it looked right As gunsmith stated above, choose wisely. Larry

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ditto on work from Doug Braker... had my entire 90T HPAR stripped and refinished in black teflon... looks original...

Jay

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I had NIC do one of my MX8 OU barrel set. After three years of use, that includes my singles and doubles shooting, there is no wear or chipping. The color "solcom blue" most closely looks like "blueing". It's a great product as long as the preparation work is well done.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Milt. Go to NIC Industries web site. Lot's of neat info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.