1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever cast any aluminum pigeons?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by whiz white, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

One of our now-deceased high school shop teachers cast some clay targets 25 years ago using aluminum pistons.

I've used many of them for awards for various occasions, and am down to my last one.

Would be nice is someone could cast some and offer them for sale here.

Whiz White

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Do you realize the fun you could have with some paint and flour. The look on a buddy's face to see a bird dust that hard and not break, priceless.

ec90t

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I know I have shot at a lot of them but can't tell you who is making them.

4. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

I had one turned on a CNC lathe. Probably easier then casting. Used it for a trophy.

Mark Zauhar

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

When I was a kid. I shot with the Hansen brothers at Dover Bay gun club in the 1960's. The inventors and manufactures of the quick release pneumatic and hydraulic couplings. The same couplings that you see in shops and gas stations. There was a guy(I can't remember his name now) who was a great shooter that rarely missed a target bit*hed a lot about this and that. The kind of guy you really don't like to be around. bit*hed, bit*hed, bit*hed!!! Sound familiar? Well the Hansen brothers decided to machine up 2 aluminum targets on one of there lathes in there plant and painted them just like the New York style targets we shot at. All the traps then were the winchester hand sets. The Hansen brothers went to the kid who was setting targets in the last trap with a chart describing when to set the aluminum targets on the arm, the two targets and a wad of cash. Sure enough the guy hit all of his targets including the 87th and the 95th ones ending up with a score of 98. The first aluminum target went into Lake Eire and the second one they were able to retrieve. The targets kinda rang like a bell when hit. The guy bit*hed a lot and then left and we didn't see him for like 3 months. He amazingly didn't bitch as much about things and never found out about the targets. An old but true story. Todd

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Waukesha, Wis. had a Breath of Life Charity shoot (skeet) and they gave aluminum targets out. the one I have says 2001 on it. Jon Myers might know something about it. The shoot was in memory of his son Jeff.

HM

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Whiz, give Tilden Trophies a call.....see where they get the ones they sell for trophies.

Ken Rucker

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Great story Todd!

ec90t

9. whiz white

The pigeons I got from the shop teacher were the result of a bet.

He (shop teacher) was a pretty poor shot and at a my club's annual fun shoot, and after a few beers, he challenged me and my 27-yard shooting buddy to $20 a shot if we could break them in a buddy shoot.

Back in those days you could fire a round into the ground prior to the first bird being called. Knowing that something was a-miss, I called for a target and fired into the ground-my "test shot."

The kid in the traphouse knew I was the squad leader and thinking I missed, so for the next shot, the shop teacher's was a normal clay (kid thinking that the shop teacher was shooting) I shot the target. Next target was painted aluminum unknown to me. The shop teacher shot, and missed and his back-up buddy missed as well... at that time I still was not aware of what was happening because I broke all my targets. And because the challengers were not ATA shooters and not very good shots, I attributed their misses to poor shooting. With ear plugs in, I did not pay attention to the sounds...my buddy and I were laughing so much when they'd miss and we (thought) we were collecting $20 a miss.

Finally after continued misses, they stopped the charade told us what they had schemed.

I stood on the 16 and shot a very tightly choked Perazzi as fast as I could and hit the targets. Boy, they'd change directions, making a twang sound, but none, of course, broke.

I picked up about a dozen of the aluminum birds and kept, but over the years I given all but one away.

I could easily machine some on the lathe here at the shop, but I'd prefer cast if some are available. Pretty easy to cast in casting sand, and using old pistons would be an inexpensive way to geterdone.

Whiz Whtie

10. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I am sure glad you asked this question. This subject brought up some great memories. A very dear friend of mine, named Whiz (I swear) Longley, had metal shop while in High School ( mid-sixties) and decided to cast some aluminum clay targets. He made about 25 of these. Well, all the neighboe farmers always got together on the Longley farm every Sunday before the Pa. small game season. When an outsider (someone other than a neighbor) was having a good streak going
    all the neighbors would look at each other and give the NOD. No outsider would win this game! The trap mounted on a car tire was then loaded with the aluminum target. The guy could hit this thing dead on, it would go head over tin cups but no pieces and no dead target. We had many years of laughter with them but then through the years you'd would loose one and then an other. Today they are all gone. Fond memories.

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I am sure glad you asked this question. This subject brought up some great memories. A very dear friend of mine, named Whiz (I swear) Longley, had metal shop while in High School ( mid-sixties) and decided to cast some aluminum clay targets. He made about 25 of these. Well, all the neighboe farmers always got together on the Longley farm every Sunday before the Pa. small game season. When an outsider (someone other than a neighbor) was having a good streak going
    all the neighbors would look at each other and give the NOD. No outsider would win this game! The trap mounted on a car tire was then loaded with the aluminum target. The guy could hit this thing dead on, it would go head over tin cups but no pieces and no dead target. We had many years of laughter with them but then through the years you'd would loose one and then an other. Today they are all gone. Fond memories.

12. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

It seems to me that you could build a mold and stamp these out of sheet metal or aluminum. If you had the pieces, you could do this in your garage with a press. Quicker and cheaper than CNC. Less hassle than casting them. Just my $0.02

Shawn

13. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

There used to be a Sporting range South of Pratt,Ks (Sawyer), called Pleasant Valley-----great people (the Kellers). For grins the owner turned several targets out of aluminum and threw them occasionally. Though they were a dead givaway, especially air birds, as they would ring loud and clear. The rabbits would just slam to the ground, might even scoot them several feet with a hard hit, this about 1990.

A few years later, Mr. Keller was shooting trap at Medicine Lodge, had a heart attack and passed on doing what he liked to do. What a great guy he was.

14. bmagnie

bmagnie TS Member

Here is a picture of the awards we gave out last weekend at or first shoot. I made the birds on a cnc at work and another member did the woodworking.

15. whiz white

BMAGNIE: Nice looking work!

Rick - thanks. I'll try to make contact with them in the morning.

The story about the farmers was fun. Kinda reminds me of the evening money shoots over at Troy OH, during the Grand. I saw Hiram Bradley or Bueford Baily "ALMOST" run 25, but I swear the one missed was hard rubber.

After watching a few rounds, I felt it was rigged, so I never lost a dime there.

Whiz

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When I was a kid(long ago) I set targets at a local skeet club. One of the members worked at a local rubber company and produced a few made from hard rubber. Every once in awhile one of the shooters would request so & so should get the rubber bird for a high eight target and usually made the request with a buck or so in his hand. When they hit it, it usually went almost straight up and everyone got a good laugh out of it. The rubber targets had a lot of hits over the years. When we recovered them they were no worse the wear, just a few more shot stuck in them. I have an aluminum one setting on my desk right now, makes a great paperweight.

Big Jack

17. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

A pressed target is one thing but a turned one is another. I would rather have a turned aluminum target then a pressed one. To me it is better quality then a press one.

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

bmagnie, Nice work. I am sure people appreciate the effort and the nice looking awards.

If you are interested in turned wood targets, Jeff Stiefvater from Beatrice Nebraska does great work. I saw some of his "WoodRock" at the Nebraska State Shoot and it was impressive. I saw rocks in purpleheart, african rosewood, bubinga and other exotic woods in addition to many in native hardwoods and softwoods.

I do not think he has a website. Perhaps some one here has some contact info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aluminum targets that look like clay targets