1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else notice this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

From the 16yrd line I can point my gun just about at the target leading just a little and break most all. Now, back at the 27yd line I find ( of course) I must lead a little more, BUT, I find myself actually making sure I'm just under the target to break it. Seems wierd as you can 'cover' a bird from the 16yd line and still break it. But move back to the 27yd line and I'm having to make sure I'm under it just alittle. Opitcal illusion? Jim

2. Clay Target SSE

Clay Target SSE Active Member

I for one would like to hear some comments on this.

Jim

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

your gun shoots high and you are not adjusting at close range because it makes little diff but at 27 it makes a bigger diff

4. Maurice

Maurice Member

The further back you go less gun movement is required because the angle is less. It is not an optical illusion. Maurice ( The Brit. )

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I shoot them the same way... sorry to say this, but subconsiously, I am sure I am doing what you are doing.

I cover the targets in both and I shoot 27 yards.

This means that your gun and mine shoot differently, and I FOLLOW THROUGH EACH AND EVERY SHOT!

Whiz

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

As the Cigar man says. You need to be under the bird because the rise in your POI will put you over if you don't. The distance is coming in to play like when you pattern your gun. 2" at 13 yards equals 6" at 40 yds.

Don

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Well, it DOES make sense that at 27 yds you will be shooting flater. If you were to draw a line on paper comparing shooting from 16 yds to 27 yds you WOULD see a more level line from the 27 yd line. From talking to one person I have been informed that shot doesn't fall from 70 yrds. It's more like 80 yds. Now, these are hot loads we're talking about. What I'm finding out is that out to about 20 yds you can pretty much shoot a target just barely ahead of it and make a nice break. With ANY gun. Between 21 and 25 you need to hold barely under and a litter more ahead. And at 26-27 you need to be under and ahead just a bit further to break 'um. I shoot 1oz loads traveling at about 1275fps. Jim

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Please explain covering targets.. when I shoot, I mount the gun, close one eye to make sure I have my head down and lined up with the rib and then I never look at the barrel again, I focus on the target, I 'm guessing covering the target is covering it with the barrel? thanks!

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whiz, when you said the guns shoot differently, maybe you, or he, is shooting a hotter load than the other of you. Hotter load will get there faster. Bulge.

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Shoot a sliding handicap event moving two yards back - or forward - when you change posts after five shots and notice where you hold your gun at each yardage. Mine shoots higher as I get to longer yardage so I hold lower on the target as I move back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.