1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else never sell a gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I may fit into the hoarders catagory..lol.. for the last 30 years or so I have somehow managed to aquire 2,3 or 4 guns a year.. just filled up my second gun safe.. not sure why but once I buy a gun and shoot it a couple of times I just cant bring myself to sell it, I did trade a .22 single shot for a cb radio once,.. I know.. great trade, and I did trade a ruger m77 22-250 for a browning bow.. i know great trade..and I did sell a glock .40 for $650 right when obama went into office, only because I had 2 of them.. other than that I just cant bring myself to sell a gun.. I may need mental help.... any other weirdo gun hoarders out there?? lol///

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Thought about giving any away? I'll take a couple is you want.

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Patient tells the doc that his wife sent him in because he likes pancakes.

Doc says "that's okay, I like pancakes too".

Patient says "good - come over to my house for breakfast, I've got trunks full of pancakes in the attic".

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Over the last 30 years I’ve bought two for every one that I sold, and I have regretted selling most of them at some time or another. In my opinion you’re smart for not selling any, they’re one of the best investments you can make.

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Hushy44, I got to show your post to my wife. She is of the opinion that it is only an investment if it is sold at some time. I told her she could reap the profit after i am gone.

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I don't know the meaning of "buy and sell." I am quite familiar with the term " buy and hold" though.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Slowdp-

Don't make the same mistake as the guy who said, "I hope when I die my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them."

Ted K.

8. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

husky44 add up the money you have in guns and figure 4 or5 or6 percent interest per yr.very poor investment.only 1 out of 5 or 6 will sell at a good price then only if its the right time.1 went over the 100 mark that means only maybe 20 will will bring good price,interest comes every month like clock work. thats called intvesting.

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box... but if I was given a choice.. 50k worth of guns in my safes vs 50k of cash in the bank drawing interest... I'd pick the guns..lol ...

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I'm glad I didn't trade any guns for the gm stock I bought!!!!

tony

11. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

I'm with black cloud. You can't put a price on the enjoyment factor of just owning something that makes you smile to have it. I believe I'd like to have back every gun I've ever sold - not many, I've got the "buy and hold" disease too, but there have been a few.

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i think it comes down to - what do you really enjoy??- i heard a wealthy lawyer being interviewed, he had one of the most extensive baseball collections in the country--- the reporter said " this must be a very good investment for you?"-- i will never forget what he said--- " collect what you love and then it will always be worth something to you"----- i have a very good friend who hunts with me, he always has to have guns i seek out and buy-- he views them as an investment and boasts " i got one of them".--- i myself, love the feel , the find, the story behind them, my memories of why i wanted it--NOT becuase it was a deal or a hard to find gun!!!! i personally feel sorry for him , as he veiws a mdl 12 as an "investment" not the love and knowledge, of their rich history.------------when you open that safe, what do you see inside? guns you want to take out and feel ?? is oiling them a chore or a good feeling ?---- if not SELL the darn things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I am not sure how I classify, I sold an sp10 to pay for 1 semester in college. I recently sold a mossberg 835 and winchester 1200 because I just never shoot nor want to shoot them. However the others I like and probably wouldn't sell. I however don't go purchase guns either, don't even have the urge, plenty happy with what I own. Last gun purchase was a Super Sport for sporting clays 4 years ago. The older I get the more I understand to purchase the gun you really want, it's simply cheaper than shooting something you hope shoots as well while you save up money.

14. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Maybe I’m just a glass half full kind of a guy; In the future I don’t see money or even gold being tradable for the necessities in life to survive. Guns and ammo will always have a value in the new America. Besides watching my 457 and 401 accounts just causes stress, going shooting always brings me happiness.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"....somehow managed to aquire 2,3 or 4 guns a year...."</i>

Before kids came along I was buying two or three guns a month.

16. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Every gun I own was either given to me by a family member or I saved up and bought it because I really wanted to have it. I have 21 total and will never sell a single one. The most valuable one is a parker double, but the most valuable one to me is a toss up between an 1100 skeet gun that I have carried with all the bird dogs I've owned on many cold mornings or the 20 gage sears my mother bought me when I was 12 years old. Don't know how she afforded it, but I did kill my first rabbit on the run with it and shot my first dove out of the air with it. I still remember each shot like it was yesterday.

17. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I got over it long time ago. Down from 6 safes to 2. Most of them are collectable, got more than what I paid for originally, but FAR from what I can make in other investments.

Selling the first gun was difficult, but ever since that, all my guns in the safes can be sold. I don't get sentimental with these toys and tools. That's sissy.

18. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

But Brian....dont you like the warm touch instead of the feel of cold steel?

HEHEHE

19. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

In approx. 1970 I decided to let a Winchester Model 21 Trap slip out of my fingers. I did not realize how unique it was. I have never had a second chance to replace this firearm. some of us have had unique memories with our trusted firearms. Merry Christmas

Joe Woods/Ontario

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Can't stand selling them, have sold a few but always have regrets. The problem is I have a big safe packed full of guns and no room left if I were to get a new one ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.