1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Else lLost Height

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bruce Specht, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Went for a check up because of a recent auto accident that left me sore and questioning if I'd broken my thumb. As a routine they check height and weight and vitals. Turns out I'm a 1/2"shorter than my last check up a year ago anyone else shrinking height wise? Weight, that's not a place I'm shrinking; in the words of Normm from the tv series cheers " I'm at my persfet weight if I was 6'11"

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bruce, years ago I was 5'11" (many years) last doctor visit I was 5'10". My wife was 5'5' and is now 5'31/2'. According to my doctor lots of people shrink with age. Bulge.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yes, 1/2" shorter than in High School and I'll lose near that any day I'm involved in backyard labor.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. willing

willing Member

Just back up to a wall and try to tuch it all the way up and down and you will see how you shrunk. It's called posture.
    The arthritis gets you!

bill

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used to be 6' 2 1/2 inches. Now I am 280#.

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I was 6'4" until I did a honey do for my wife in the early 90's. I was moving on a hand truck a freezer full of meat. Now in my younger days I was plenty stout at around 220 lbs, and figured I could move this weight with no problem. Well after the third try of trying to get this freezer over a 8" step, I had a disk in my spine collapse. Took a long time to recover. I still can't run.

A few years later I found out that I have shrunk, I'm now 6'2". Present weight is 215lbs. 72 years young.

Tom Strunk

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Your loss of height comes with age. I have lost almost 2 1/2 inches since 68. It also doesn't help that I work as an ironworker. We carry heavy weights a lot and it just tends to mash you down:) It is a natural thing though, preachers and accountants loose height also and they don't carry heavy weights on a full time basis. It's called getting older. Dan

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

At 21 I was 5'10". At 65, I'm 5'almost8". I discovered when trying to figure out why my left leg was going numb that my right leg was an inch shorter than my left and was throwing me off balance. Also, discs compress and the cartilege in the joints also compresses. I was worried that my wife was getting taller.

I guess I have to hold lower on the traphouse as my center of balance is lower and thus my gun would point higher. I prefer 7 1/2s.

9. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

I also lost 1/2", it was due to 2 crushed disks in my neck, they fused c4,c5,and c6, they put spacers in place of the disks so I regained that 1/2".
    The crushed disks were caused by whip lash, you may have experianced somthing simalar with your accident.

10. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

I used to be 5' 11 3/4" now I'm 5' 9" that is short.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

If I could just find a way to apply the loss to my waste line I would be all set.

Bob Lawless

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The average height of an American male is 5'-9 1/4" (plus or minus 3/16", depending on whose statistics you believe). Based on that, I'm not sure I would consider 5'-9" to be "short." It's certainly true that we all lose height with age but, as mentioned above, some of it undoubtedly has to do with posture.

Also beware of measurements taken by your doctor and his staff. I used to get a kick out of a registered nurse's measurements of my boys' heights. She used the contraption on the back of the Health-O-Meter doctor's scale and would record preposterous "measurements" without a second thought. One of my kids shrank an inch one year according to this knucklehead. In reality he grew about 2".

Finally, ponder what a tall female coworker once told me about her short boyfriend: "No man seems taller than when he's sitting on a really fat wallet." LOL! Ah, women!

-Gary

13. shooterguy

shooterguy TS Member

I'm not short. Both feet still touch the ground.

Fred

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Disc problems can cause this. Also you will be taller first thing in the morning than later per my doc.

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a broken disc right between my shoulder blades which accounts for some of my height loss but I've gone from 5 11 1/2 to 5 10. Some things get smaller with age and some get bigger. The only thing on me that has gotten bigger is my stomach. I have a small beer belly but funny thing is, I don't drink beer. LOL Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.