1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else in it for the guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I confess that as a non-hunter who likes guns I shoot trap primarily so that I have something to do with my shotguns.

I like the classic American trap guns. I have one SBT, three pumps and and I am thinking about getting an O/U or a SxS.
    My goal is to shoot the best I can with the guns I like.

Anyone else out there who is in it mainly for the guns, and if so, what are your favorite guns to shoot?

Lou

2. philk

philk Member

I just do it so I can smell the Hoppes no9 after.

3. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

If you ask my wife, that is my motto, "In it for the guns". I don't own a handgun and only 3 rifles, all Remington 5mm rimfire models. I do have "some" shotguns, BT-100 for trap, Remington 1100 trap for backup, and some Browning Double Automatics for collecting.

Doug Allison

4. Bushmaster1313

Vern:
    What is your favorite gun or guns to shoot at the trap range?
    Which gun(s) do you score highest with would be a different question, and to me at least, much less interesting.

Lou

"so many guns--so little money"

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

As my wife puts it when asked what does your husband do for a hobby?

Guns, guns, guns and more guns!

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I started out 51 years ago as a hunter, land, sea and sky. Collected a fair amount of hunting guns along the way. Not to many years ago I dawned on me, it was the guns, not the game that I really enjoyed. That was about the same time I got into Trap Shooting. All of a sudden it was more fun shooting a few hundred birds and not having to clean and eat them.
    I still make it out into the bird field about once a year and there still is excitement about being in the woods opening morning of deer season, but the trips to Sparta now take the place of trips to Wyoming and Ohio will replace Montana. My hunting guns are used more by my kids than me, and I already have a few to many Trap Guns but still feel I need more. Maybe it's the fact that I'm just growing older that caused my shooting habits to change.

7. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'd have more guns if Vern made the PFS grips for some other shotguns.

Because of a physical condition, I need to tame the recoil in order to keep shooting. The PFS does that better than anything.

BUT-I'd love to shoot an 870. Probably my favorite gun. Would, I think, be an awesome gun with a PFS to reduce the hit they tend to give the shooter.

But, until he decides to make a grip for it, I'm stuck with my Perazzi and a couple of autos for trap.

Bob

8. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

All of the above plus time with my son and his Labs in a duck blind.

9. Bushmaster1313

Obtaining great enjoyment out of fishing with my kids, I understand the allure of hunting even though I choose not to. To be truthful, I cannot say I have never wanted to go out into the woods with my kids, a gun and a good dog.

With fishing, to me the rods and reels are merely tools. Guns, however, seem to take on a personality of their own.

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've hunted and killed water fowl, upland birds and larger game and small bunnies over the years. I started out shooting (first gun) a Mossberg 500 pump. I know have collected some really nice shotguns (for me) an 1100 Trap gun circa 72 a Win 101 circa 68 a Win Mod 12 Pigoen Grade Trap #5 engraving circa 1929 a matched pair 28 gauge and 16 gauge Huglu O/U several 410's a Berreta 20 ga. Silver Pigeon. Like yourself I just enjoy shooting my guns, my favorite changes based on the game. For Trap my Mod 12 or the 1100 for doubels. Skeet 28 and 410, bird hunting 20 gauge. Sporting clays the 101 in 12 ga or the 28 gauge. The 16's are great for upland birds when hunting wild.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes it is about the guns for me too. I do a fair amount of hunting but that is more about the dogs or the time outdoors and not so much about the guns or shooting. Trap and the other target games are all about the shooting (guns) and that's where most of my free time and money goes.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It use to be all about the guns for me 'til my 15yr old got interested in shooting at about 9yrs old. It has been all about him and me every since that time. I never thought i would wish somebody to beat me but thats where we are at now. It didn't take long for him to catch me though. I just enjoy the time shooting with him and more so watching and helping him.----Matt

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Don't shoot to hunt. I will hunt to shoot.

I love to shoot.

Started with small bore three position, then Bullseye & International Pistol, after a long dry spell got into Cowboy Action, now Trap. Reload and shoot a bunch of different guns.

No favorite gun. Like a woman, a slick new model can be a lot of fun; but I enjoy an older classic too.

Don Verna

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I find the 17 cal rifles ( Mach2 & 17 HMR) are more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I never enjoyed shooting as much as with those. I do love trapshooting and live pigeon shooting too. Don't like to kill animals any more unless they are varmints.

15. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

For me it's all about the guns. I just love cool guns. And they can be cool for just about any reason........rarity, prior owners history, chrome, the model of gun and it's place in history etc. Most folks say I have a bunch of guns and I tell them it's only a good start!! One other felal said.....so many guns and so little money......and that's a FACT!

Matt,

I know what you mean when you say you can wait until your kids start outshooting you. My 12yo daughter shot her first registered birds this year and on Tuesday she shot he first handicap round.........and she tied her singles high score from the 22 yard line. I think she was the happiest kid to ever trod the earth. It was just two of us shooting. It was a grand moment.

It was a banner night all the way around. My 8yo boy clobbered his first two clay birds ever with his .410 hammer gun. Pretty damned grinny.....all of us!

Darryl

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I am a confessed gun nut and often get seen sniffing fired shells and Hoppes is my favorite perfume. I have way too many guns but it is justifiable as therapy for me. I just always need a project gun to dial in or wood to fit or a PFS to adjust or new rib to find a POI for. Playing with guns is my favorite way of relaxing and passing my time until I shoot again. The best part is at my club there are lots of friends with the same addition so help, parts, and bad advice are plentiful. Misery loves company and I am surrounded with this and grateful to have so many inflicted friends.

17. andybull

andybull Active Member

It's all the fault of these shooting related websites, I can't stay off of them. I've got guns I've never shot, heck some are still on order (bad year to order black rifles). I'm now waiting on a suppressor for my MK11, I ordered a JP LRP07 rifle which has a one year back order. Oh wait! I just traded an MX2000 for a Kolar, now I need a left hand stock for it. :-(
    [​IMG]

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dammmmmiitttt boyyyy...

19. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I'm into guns (NRA radical). Shotguns, rifles, and handguns. I'm not a gun collector, I just ended up with a bunch. If I can't shoot it I don't want it. Trapshooting is the only form of competition shooting I do. I'm not any good at it but I enjoy it. I shoot handguns now more than ever. I made up a few falling plate target stands and it's a blast. I got hooked on prairie dogs 10 years ago, go out west one week a year for that. Don't do much hunting any more, SE WI doesn't have much hunting land left. If I had to quit hunting completely it wouldn'd bother me too much. On the other hand, if I had to quit shooting you might as well plant me in the ground.

Joe

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm just in it for the empties.

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.