1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else here shooting with M.S.???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kong, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kong

kong TS Member

If so I was wondering how you are coping with it? I hurt my back at work back in November, T5 and T6 in my neck and L4, L5, and L6 in my lower back. When getting an MRI on my back, the neurosurgeon spotted an ugly black spot on my brain stem so ordered an MRI on my brain. She sent me to a neurologist for a 2nd opinion, and after having a look at my brain scans, came back to me that not only did I have a lesion on my stem, I also had 5 more lesions on my brain. Multiple Sclerosis was the diagnosis, which isn't real good news. I had went numb in my left hand but soon it had worked its way all the way up my arm. I just thought it was a pinched nerve from my back injury, but within a week it had worked it's way all the way down through my left leg. By the time it was done, I lost feeling in both arms and legs and was numb in the hips and working up my back. Needless to say, walking had become a chore. After high dose steroids (prednisone) I slowly regained feeling in all my extremities. Anyway, now the numbness comes and goes and after just a round or 2 of trap I am exhausted. The MS robs you of all stamina too. Just wondering if others on here were dealing with this and if they could shed some light on this as to any tips or tricks to get around some of these symptoms so that I can continue shooting? Thanks for reading and sorry about the long winded post..... Brian

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

PM sent. I'll post it if that is your preference, or you can post my PM if you like.

Shoot well Brian.

Jack

3. peavine

peavine TS Member

I'm sorry you've got the diagnosis. Did you have any symptoms prior to the back injury? I'm 32 years old now, I was diagnosed with M.S. when I was 16. I was lucky I guess because Betaseron was on the cusp of F.D.A. approval at the time when I was undergoing testing. My neurologist started me on Betaseron immediately. I first noticed something was'nt right when I woke up one morning and my entire right side was as if it was asleep, or tingling. Some of the more serious relapses were extreme virtigo(like if you're really drunk), difficulty moving extremities i.e. arms or legs, to affected vision in my right eye, which happens to be the dominant eye, resulting in learing to shoot left handed. Every time so far the relapses respond favorably to high dose steroids(I.V. prednisone followed by pill form). Don't know about you, but the prednisone made me super hyper, super hungry, and as result super fat. The trade-off however; quite worth it. Sorry this is so long, but right now, fatigue kicks my ass. The fatigue is really bad during a relapse but I don't know if it's the M.S. or the lack of sleep from the steroids. Luckily I haven't had a relapse for about 3 years(insert knocking on wood sound here). Some tricks I have learned is to stay cool. Heat tends to exacerbate symptoms. If you have to, take a break. My neurologist also is hammering home watching my diet and implementing a exersise program which I have. When I shot the last week of the grand in 2007 I thought the heat would be too much. Turned out I made it through,(even made a shootoff in the nitro 27 hdcp). Stay in contact with your neurologist, get started on one of the therapies, they are injectable and sticking ones self can be daunting but you can handle it. Check out some websites like nationalmssociety.org I hope this helps I know it's long winded. Take care Jonathan Taylor

4. kong

kong TS Member

Thanks for the reply Jonathan. I'm so sorry to hear that you were diagnosed at such a young age. I guess I am lucky in a way because my diagnosis came at the age of 51. I had no symptoms before this except for dizzy spells when I stood up. I have a very good neurologist that is genuinely concerned and is going the extra mile to make sure I am taken care of. He immediately started me on treatments of Avonex. He gave me a choice of 3 drugs but the Avonex is a weekly injection instead of dailey or 3 times a week and that was enough to sell me. I am lucky tho that my wife is an RN and gives me my injection in the butt every thursday night after work. Takes about 8 hrs. and then get sick as a dog for the next 24 or so. This should lessen with time as this was just my 10th injection. Glad to hear that you still can shoot more than a round or 2 at a time. I am getting stronger and did shoot 3 rounds this week but the last round was doubles on a short squad and it took its toll. Good luck to you and break em all..... Brian

5. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

Try the Betaseron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.