1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Anyone else have an outrageous trap gun? (photos)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

This particular single-barrel Harrington and Richardson 'Hammerless' shotgun was the subject of a thread a long time ago where I elicited suggestions as to its optimum use. Briefly, the barrel had been cut to 20"(a good job, though) by a prior owner, so it came to me more or less 'free'. Well, it promised too much fun to worry about getting my money back, so I went ahead and re-blued the barrel ($70), had the barrel threaded for choke tubes ($110), bought a Colonial Arms modified choke tube ($34) and added an old Jenkins recoil pad which cost me zilch. I tried it first on the Trap line using Remington Gun Club target loads (lead) and shot absolutely horribly! But switching to Winchester steel target loads made all the difference! So far, at three different clubs, my lowest score at 16 yards has been a 22! I admit that it looks weird, but it ain't that bad on the shoulder and I'm having fun shooting against (and sometimes beating) other shooters with their 'expensive' guns (meaning anything over the $214 I have in this gun). Sorry for the long post.

Anyone else have an 'outrageous' trap gun?

LA in MA

porcupine_2008_030342.jpg

porcupine_2008_030339.jpg

porcupine_2008_030340.jpg

porcupine_2008_030341.jpg

The 'line' in the stock is in the wood, not a crack.
  2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Heres my BT99 the comb posts have been since changed to steel and have added an adjustable butt and kickezz rocker. Its a 1976 I bought all beat real bad had new parts put in and didnt want to spend alot on new wood. I made the rib so its not perfect but close.

I call it the "RAT ROD" its for sale too!!

Jerry Lewis
  3. MR870

MR870 Member

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.My gun is a 870 Express 30"(the cheap version) with a Remington adj.comb Trap stock.The stock is worth more than the gun.I did some serious horse trading for the stock.At a recent shoot,Bill"the Batman"Mayer shot it and with a smile on his face only said one word,"Sweet."
  4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

My 1187 camo field gun has a monte carlo stock to match the POI of my 1187 trap gun. No one as far as I know has batted an eye at it. And I do practice with it from time to time. Works just fine for trap and sporting clays.

Also have an old beater Winchester Model 24 with the barrels cut to 18". Use it for cowboy shoots. Have practiced with it for singles. Bought a dirt cheap set of beat up 30" M & F barrels for it at a gunshow a few years back. I think I paid $10 for them.
  5. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

A little nickel, a little wood, and a diamond on top.
    bullettheturtle_2010_2304127.jpg

bullettheturtle_2010_2304128.jpg

bullettheturtle_2010_2304129.jpg

bullettheturtle_2010_2304130.jpg
  6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Your gun looks better than what I shoot. I bet it's a smoke machine.
    Steve Balistreri
  7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Hey Bullet!...I hope for your sake that the stone in your better halfs ring is bigger than your bead..or I'd be sleeping with one eye open every night : ))
  8. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

This is Mrs. Bullettheturtle,
    No, I don't even have a diamond. My gun, however is prettier than his. :)
  9. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

This is my daughter's gun. BT 99 plus.

bullettheturtle_2010_2304134.jpg
  10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

The Kuhner:

joekuhn_2008_030358.jpg
  11. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Member

My Beretta 390 "semi-automatic over and under" LOL

Project of my late gunsmith and myself to make it "look" somewhat like my K-gun; with no side ribs, added barrel hanger and even added a choke in the bottom (fake) barrel. Gets lots of people scratching their heads when they see it at a shoot. Mostly for sporting clays.

mikehessongmh_2008_03034.jpg
  12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Innovative. But the Nervous Nelly's will think you have an extended magazine assault shotgun!

And Joe's shotgun probably bunches up their panties.

Keep up the good work, guys.
  13. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Mike, that is a unique gun. And you know the Latin words that are the root words for "unique".

Charlie
  14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Very cool 99 Plus! love the paint
  15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

A little detail about how mine came about: With a ribbed gun my left eye was picking up targets and I was firing when I 'got there' based on that eye even though it is 'off gun'. In other words I had a bad case of cross firing.

My theory is with the bbl up under my 'on gun' eye, my other eye was trying to help out, especially on left handers on station one. Now that I've gotten older, I wasn't able to switch eyes in time to make the shot. So the scope well above the barrel gives me a full view, with my right eye, all the way down to the house. Then there's no need for my other eye to pitch in. The cross firing is gone.

The rest of the gun is built around this visual solution.
  16. BillJ

BillJ Member

billj_2008_0303.jpg
    Outrageously Beautiful.
  17. jbmi

jbmi Active Member

Tron needs to post pic's of this H&R trap. Now there is a trap gun.
  18. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Mike, that is one "Cool" looking 390 beretta. !!!!!!!! Joe joe90t
  19. docbombay

docbombay Member

This is a gun the boys have been working on down at the club. It is kind of thrown together from various guns and old John Deere combine parts. The only thing really "high tech" is the radar sighting system.

We can only shoot it during the spring and summer as Stinky needs the barrel back to harvest his bean crop in the fall.

docbombay_2011_020146.jpg

docbombay_2011_020147.jpg

docbombay_2011_020148.jpg

Doc
  20. curt025

curt025 TS Member

Doc, too awesome. 8 gauge? 6 gauge? Does it have interchangeable chokes?

What is the POI for that particular model?

Wonder if White Flyer will start building a little homing beacon in to each target for that fancy radar!!

Curt
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.