1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have a 20ga. goose gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have been hunting canada geese this year with my o/u 20 ga. and it has been very impressive. I use imp.mod and full with Remington steel #4 and have shot doubles with it. I don't see any handicap using the 20. A couple of them have been long shots too. I just shoot for the white band on the head and it does the rest. Anyone else use a smaller guage?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Using a small bore is a function of range. Nothing more and nothing less. I have killed triples with my 28ga guns on Great Basin Canadas but the birds were less then 10 yards when the shooting started. As a rule the small bore guns will not put enough pellets of a size to kill birds at typical Canada ranges. That said... Hunting canada geese in Canada is not typical Canada good shooting.

I remeber when the Final approach blinds were first marketed they showed hunting with them in wheat fields in Canada. They had birds that were pillow cased that they shot with 20ga guns. 10 yard geese do not require much gun. 40 yard geese are another story. a 20ga ( any gauge) shooting steel #4's will only kill a goose if it is hit in the head. At 40 yards #4 steel pellets won't even stick in my pattern board.

I don't need to be in Canada with you to know that you were shooting close birds which is what a small bore does best. Birds less then 30 yards can be just hammered with a 20 or a 28ga. Jeff

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

You are right Jeff, With the exception of 1 they have all been shot at about 30 yards. The one last night was probably about 50 and I should'nt have shot but dropped it with one shot. I always shoot for the white band on the head and head shoot alot of them seems to be the only good way to bring them down. And I'm in WV not Canada so most of our geese stay here all year and are not as big as the Canada version. But I just really like shooting them with the 20 ga. It's light points fast and so far kills good. We have guys around here shooting the 10 ga. and 3 1/2 12 ga I just don't like all that recoil.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Head and neck shots as well as broken wings are what steel #4's do best! I am sure you have seen what they do to the breast.. Not much. Jeff

5. roger8918

roger8918 Member

The year my youngest was 12 he used his 20 gauge 2 3/4 Remington 1100 for everything. Trap, Sporting Clays, Pheasant, Ducks, Geese....whatever flies. He took down his share of honkers using #2 steel with that gun.
    [​IMG]

6. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Roger-nice picture, his smile says it all.

7. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Has anyone ever tasted a good goose?

Not me,
    Not he,
    Nor, not she

Not Dr. Suess

Although his name rhymes with goose

We would all like a good recipe

My mom, my dad, and me.

Nice pictures and have fun hunting them big winged flappin honkers!!

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I have a Marlin 55G goose gun with a long Barrel on it got it from my Dad who got it 49 years ago from my Mom the first year they were married. He shot 1 6pt buck with it and put it in the closet I used it for squirrel for a few years and now it resides in the corner of my Gun room as it is too tall for the cabinet. Never used for birds of any sorts it kicks like a mule.

Jerry Lewis

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Occassionally my daughter will use her 28 ga., #2 Bismuth. Over the decoys it's very deadly.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.