1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone driving a Ford with new 6.3 liter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tgene, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgene

tgene Member

Looking to replace my 2000 F-350 diesel truck. Have any of you purchased the new 2008 Ford with the new 6.3 liter diesel. I'm interested in any comments you might have with regard this new truck.

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I have a 2004 6.0L F-350 and I haven't heard anything about the new engine. Try Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum. I haven't been on there in a while. If there is anything about the new engine you'll find it on there.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I believe you mean 6.4 liter. I did look under the hood of one and there is no room under there at all, it is packed tight. Ford has some issues, check out page 33 of the June issue of Diesel Power magazine.

Full disclaimer; I have owned two Chevy with the Duramax/Allison and love them. Currently own a 06 LBZ CC SB. With PPE programmer and Magnaflow 4" exhaust and Allison 6 speed auto trans. Big power.

Tom Strunk

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

I've been waiting almost two years for this darn thing to arive and now hear they've already got a recall from flames shooting out the exhaust. No foolin.

I agree with Tom by the way about it being TIGHT in the engine compartment. What a nightmare if anything ever needs to be done -- are Ford mechanics up to that?

Anyway, I'm going to hold tight for a while longer to hear more. Toyota is going to be coming out with a diesel too.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

RE the crowded eng. compartment, even with the 7.3 models of yore, my dealer just removes the cab and works on the engine anywhere he cares to. I've seen older rigs in there for major work and treated in that manner. Mine? an '01, 7.3 PSD, and all I've done in 6 years is change oil, fuel filter, and clean an aftermarket air filter - oh, well, yeah there was the brake light on the back of the cab that burned out.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

If the International 6.0 Diesel powerplant was any indication, I'd stay away from the 6.4, too!

Do an Internet search on the warranty issues...Ford & International Truck & Engine are currently suing the bejeesus out of each other over who's going to pay for the warranty failure costs on these things.

7. BMC

BMC Member

The flaming thing probably has something to do with the new recirculating exhaust system which is supposed to make the engine burn cleaner. AND, if you remove that exhaust system from the vehicle, you completely void the warranty, and I suspect will have to get the ECM recalibrated. Ford effed up big time with their new "innovation".

8. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

Hope you have deep pockets these trucks are junk.

9. DB3006

DB3006 Member

All the diesels have problems. The Duramax had injector problems, the Cummins had supply pump failures that led to injection pump failures. Oh and letsnot forget about the transmissions! The fact that you hear so much about the Powerstrokes is that Ford sells alot more trucks then the other two brands.
    As far as the flames out of the tailpipe on the 6.4L that was caused by a problem in the ECM of a few trucks during regeneration of the diesel particulate filter. The problem has been taken care of. All three are very good engines it is all up to the person who is going to spend that 40,000+ on a new truck. As for me I hope everybody out there buys one... its like money in the bank for me! 20 years in the diesel fuel injection business.

Dave

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

My experience with the Duramax has been excellent. I have owned two, an 03 and now a 06. I know at least 15 guys that also own Duramax's and only ONE has had any problem of any kind. The one was a 03 with injector problems that was repaired under warranty.

I sold my 03 ( 120,000 miles ) to my best friend and we both have PPE programmers installed on our Duramax's, no problem of any kind. One out of 15 does not sound like a injector problem to me. No other problem of any kind with the drivetrain. I have heard of some overheating problems with the 05 Duramax. There was nothing wrong with my 03 but I wanted a crew cab and the 03 was an extended cab model, plus the o6 LBZ has the most stock horsepower and torque avalible ( 360 hp & 650 torque )

I don't know of any problem with the Cummins and have heard that the older Ford 7.3 is a reliable engine. BUT the later 6.0 engine has some crankshaft issues as well as main seals that cannot be repaired and the engine must be replaced if leaking. This is what I was told by the son of our local Ford dealer.

The fastest diesel pickups in the quarter mile is the older Cummins 12 valve and the Duramax is getting close. The fastest Fords have Cummins 12 valve engines in them. Check out Diesel Place.com for more info.

I also change my own oil and filter, air cleaner, and fuel filter. I don't have any problem with space under the hood and that is where you change the fuel filter. I would not be to happy to have to remove the cab from the frame to work on my truck, as stated by Bob Dodd. I'd hate to see the labor bill.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.