1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone drives a Ford EDGE?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grunt, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Louisville, KY has two Ford plants (F250-350-450 trucks and the Explorer). The Edge is made in Canada. The local newspaper carried a review of it some time ago and the review was all praise for its build quality, fuel economy, roominess and ride qualities.

The Ford Louisville Assembly plant makes the Explorer which is scheduled to cease production next year. The hope around here is that Louisville Assembly will get a vehicle like the Edge as it looks like a winner.

The Edge platform will also be stretched to create a seven passenger crossover “people mover” that was also recently reviewed. I don’t remember the name of the new vehicle.

Ed Ward

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ah, another imported Ford car made by foreign workers.<br>
    <br>
    Buy an American built Toyota or Honda instead.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I got to ride in one.

I was not very impressed. My friends Trailblazer rides better.

Maybe it was a "Monday" car.

Don

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

There are no profits to talk about, because Ford's passenger car division hasn't made a profit since 1996.

6. Brian in Oregon

Rich, do you think profits for stockholders and corporate officers is more important than wages for the workers?

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

...or payments to the suppliers...or tool shops...

8. cls

cls Member

Dodge has a great vehicle in the crossover segment, the Journey.

[​IMG]

cls

9. cls

cls Member

It's a lifetime "Powertrain" warranty yes. The Bumper-To-Bumper warranty is 3/36. It's available everywhere in the USA. cls

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

EE and all the rest of you whiny losers, MX is asking for first hand experience not a bunch of whiny political CRAP. WAAAAAAAH. Ford is at least still an American company and they have built cars in Canada forever!

Yes, MX in my opinion the Edge is a good vehicle. I don't own one but I am a technician at a Ford dealer and I don't work on too many Edges, which means they don't have many problems. Owners I have talked to love them. Gas mileage isn't a whole lot better than the Explorer unfortunately but the car overall is excellent.

Good luck
    Steve

11. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Just because they are hurting right now does not mean that they are not building a good product! Fords quality according to JD Powers has now surpassed Toyota. People just have this misguided perception that US cars are junk. GM is also in trouble, maybe worse than Ford. Their stock just happens to be higher right now.

Steve

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Just to issue a correction...GM is NOT in worse condition than Ford...or even comparable...they are much better-positioned for the long term. GM is not where they want to be, but have a decent plan, supported by booming sales overseas. Ford is in real trouble.

13. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Since Ford is losing money, the whiners should be happy that they are exporting their losses to Canada. LOL

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

MX8B... I test drove both the 2008 Ford Edge, and the Ford Escape. I can honestly say that both cars had exactly what I was looking for: Plenty of cargo space, lots of interior leg room, well appointed interiors, lots of custom options, and more than enough motor to do the job. After testing and comparing both, I opted for the Escape for a couple of reasons. For the price, the Escape came with all the Edge options as standard equipment. I got the Escape fully loaded for less than $22,500, out the door, including tax and license, and got 1.9% financing. I have put 2500 miles on the Escape and just love the car. For the difference in price, and features, between the two vehicles, going with the Escape was a no brainer for me........Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

My wife has an Escapt too and loves it. It's now got 25,000 miles with no problems and no recalls. It must be though because Brian and EE say it is and they know everything about nothing.

16. Brian in Oregon

Delbert, tell us how your Escape is doing at 250,000 miles.<br>
    <br>
    I can tell you that when I was in the market and compared vehicles, that the 2004 Escape was a noisy and tinny, with excessive road vibration, and a dash that looked like it was an import from the 1970's. And then Ford had the gall to price it up with better vehicles. We bought something else. A year later, Ford had substantially dropped the price to something more reasonable. I hope the newer Escapes are made better. I have a neighbor who is happy with his.<br>
    <br>
    As for Ford making a quality turn-around, I'm not looking at short term results. I'm waiting for long term results. Like 100,000 miles and up. Vehicles are too expensive for most people to trade them in every couple of years, before they start having serious problems. We keep ours a long time. So 25,000 miles does not tell me how it will do in the long run. (Though it can tell you if there are serious problems in the short term.) It is encouraging that Ford is ranking higher in short term quality surveys, though.<br>
    <br>
    GM is still using pistons for many of their engines that are "universal". Supposedly GM has the pistons and cylinder bores machined so accurately that they can put any piston into any bore and it will fit without extra honing having to be done, saving time. (And allowing under skilled labor like in Mexico to build it.) Unfortunately, this does not work 100% of the time. Many of complained to their GM dealer about piston slap and noise. GM used to honor this as a warranty claim. Now unless there is an engine failure (meaning pieces of piston skirt in the oil pan), you're SOL. I will never buy any GM product because they will not build the engine right, and worse, they will not stand behind it when it does not meet spec. And owners with very noisy engines are taking a ding when they try to sell them, because those buying them aren't suckers, which is what GM is taking their own buyers for. I haven't checked GM's short term quality rating, but around 2004 to 2005 one of the Korean car makers ranked higher. WTF is up with that, GM?<br>
    <br>
    As for "knowing everything about nothing", all I can say is it sounds like you purchase vehicles without bothering to check long term quality issues. So does that make you "knowing nothing about everything"?

17. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Actually Brian I have no need to know how a vehicle will operate at 250,000 miles, however, if anybody tells me that they drove a vehice 250k miles with no problems I'd think them a liar.

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Delbert, I have a 1994 Explorer with 287,000 on it with no motor, trans, or rears repair. Balljoints, shocks, brakes, drums, rotors, and the thermostat were replaced. I ran those miles up in 9 years going back and forth 80 miles a day before I retired. In 2003 I got a new Explorer and that one has 76,000 now with one brake change and a windshield wiper motor that was under warranty. I guess it all depends on how hard you drive.

19. Brian in Oregon

If Delbert doesn't care about how a vehicle does at high mileage, that strongly suggests he is trading them in sooner and not keeping them for the long term. So his idea of quality - lasting until trade in - is different from someone who wants it to last a decade or more and go 100,000 to 250,000 miles or more.

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Brian- The piston slap problem was only in the small cu. in. truck motors. I had one that was in a 2000 Silverado. It went away after well less than 30 seconds, and other than that, the truck was flawless and it hauled serious ass. 300hp and it averaged 20mpg. Used no oil. The "slap" was truly a non issue, and yes, I'm a car guy.

I've never heard of piston slap in any other GM vehicle besides the 5.3 and 4.8 V8. By the way, that truck was built in Ft. Wayne.

The 2008 Malibu that I just purchased is nicer than either the Accord or Camry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.