1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone chrono Nobel sport primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

and compared to winchester with the same load?

They are supposed to be same but I see slower by 50 fps in limited tests and by load performance/timing.

comments?

thanks

2. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I found them in summer to be close to winchesters. Much more inconsistent though especially so in 410. I use them for practice only.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

At one time, Hodgdon stated that they could be safely substituted for Winchester W209 primers. I don't remember them stating they were the same. I haven't seen any public statements from Alliant or other powder companies claiming that they were the same either.

My results were all over the place and dismal in some loads in cold weather. I don't use them. For the extra penny, I can have the real Winchester and not worry about size differences or data compatibility.

4. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Oh boy here we go again........I have shot over 20K with no issues what so ever I guess my 20k were special ones..........................

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Chip king

I have reloaded 70k+ of Noble Sport primers without problems.

Tom

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

What who me I didn't say nothing to nobody. I swear Tom that weren't me. But from what I remember from info published in various magazines they either were within a few fps of winchester 209s in head to head testing and the differences were within the range of variances in the loads themselves or weaker by a detectable margin depending on which reputable tester (and the load) you were reading that day. So what does it mean. Pretty much HOG SPIT. I use them as a sub for the win 209 and the birds break just as well summer and winter, I have not had pierced or leaky primer problems with then, I have never had a misfire with them and I can buy a bunch more for the same price than I can Winchester primers. I think I'll keep using them.

--- Chip King ---

7. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Chip I use them most every time I go to shoot in practice. I did see a good deal more variance in FPS when the nobles were compared to winchesters with MY loads. More so the smaller the gauge for some reason. I do not use the nobel sports at all in 410. With that said I find the wolf/pmc a better primer than wnchester or nobel sport.

8. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

CBX
    How did you perform your testing between the primers and what was your variance?

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Please see thread title; what are the facts maam?

10. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Groups of five and ten. Compared to exact same load only with winchesters. Variance in nobel sports was in the 100fps range many times but most within 50-60. The winchesters routinely stayed well under that. Although its a cooler primer the PMC/wolf does very well on the chrono. I have heard others with poor results with them. I guess if it goes bang safely,you have confidence in your load and breaks the target that is most important.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My testing was very similar 100 fps but usually less.. 800/900 psi.. and not to good in cold weather.. In weather above 50 degrees.. plenty good enough for me and my Promo.. I have about 15,000 under my belt..

I will say..many years ago I bought 20,000.. and they were pure TRASH.. Hangfires..misfires.. pure trash.. I threw them away.. and took the beating..

12. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I load NS primers 100% in the 410 now. Several years ago I used Winchester primers and had an occasional off sounding shell. That ended when I began using NS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.