1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Caseharden the reciever of their Super X 1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4andy10, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Has anyone ever had their reciever Casehardened??? Thinking this might be the way I go. Have seen any that way yet. Keith

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

maybe case colored, NEVER case hardened....

3. Bridger

Bridger Member

I would absolutely never have a gun case hardened unless it was someone like Doug Turnbull and then you will pay dearly for it. I had a nice Fox re casehardened by someone who supposedly knew what they were doing. He ruined the gun. NIckel, hard chrome or case coloring perhaps but never case hardening.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Doug Turnbull would be THE GUY for something like this. The SX1 would probably be an ideal candidate, since you can unscrew the stock and mag tubes (they aren't brazed in like the 1100).

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I always thought that "case coloring" was the result of "case hardening". That is the heating and quenching of the metal gave it the color.

Am I wrong on this?

6. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

You would be correct Baron. the colors are the result of case hardening. Keith

7. Bridger

Bridger Member

While coloring is the result of true case hardening, some guns today are only case colored, a chemical process that does not involve the traditional heating using bone and charcoal. Ruger revolvers are an example of case coloring. If its not done right, the frame can warp, become brittle and weakened and then some day when you are standing on station 8 of a skeet field and when the smoke clears from your last shot you are left with a cracked frame. This is another, don't ask how I know this situation. Stick with Turnbull and you'll be okay. Anyone else is suspect no matter how many they say they have done

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Now, call and ask the question about your SX-1 to Doug Turnbull....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.