1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone buy there own health insurance looking

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Before I hit 60 & got my military benefits my wife & myself used United Health Care/Florida-we had an open access plan-no group-no referrals--very good service--we were living on a boat & hand no real place that we stayed at for almost 6 years---don't know what current costs are---they were very high back then---good luck--put service & protection first, cost second if you can afford it---Phil

2. Acer

Acer TS Member

Copper, health insurance rates for individual policies and groups are based on gender, age, health conditions and zip code. I have been in the health insurance business for 15 years and we quote every group with every carrier each year as they renew. This is the only way to assure that our group accounts are getting the best plan of beneits for the lowest dollar. On individual policies it is virtually impossible to change them annually because they are not guarnteed issue in our state. If you happen to be in the state of Georgia, I would be glad to see if there is something out there for you with better benefits at a lower price. If you are in another state you need to locate you an agent there that is fully committed to the health insurance business. If they are not in it full bore, they will in no way be on top of what is going on in your state. Hope this helps you. Best regards, Johnny Whidden

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I think your lucky. To keep mine going when I retired from they wanted over $600 a month for me alone. I had to pass because I could not afford it. I'll be watching to see what's out there for less.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Look around and see if you can join some group like Chamber of
    Commerce, Farm Bureau. You might get some rate relief.

Don

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I buy my own. One of the benefits of being self employed. I get mine through Anthem, they are the blue cross/blue shield provider in my state, Indiana.

Click on the above link and see if they are in your state.

I have a high deductible PPO plan.

I would suggest you look into an HSA (health savings account). It gives a little tax benefit and the savings account will build up if you stay healthy.

The state you live in will be a large factor in the rates you pay. The state legislators tell the insurance companies what they must cover. Some state require that crap like "aroma therapy" must be covered by health insurance. If you are in one of those states your insurance is going to be high.

A few years ago I received a letter from my insurance company that my policy would now cover drug and alcohol rehab. The state made all policies sold in the state cover that. I should of had the option of whether I wanted to buy that coverage or not. I guess some state legislator had a brother, uncle, son or some relative who was in the drug rehab business who wanted a good paying insurance gig.

Blah, blah, blah, I'm starting to ramble. Sorry.

Check with Anthem/Wellpoint and see if they are in your state.

6. silverBB

silverBB TS Member

Copper; Believe me, I tried to to go the self-paid insurance route when (many years ago) I found that the group plan thru my employer cost TWICE what I could get on the open market. That worked only for a short time....until it became required to have the company plan for myself, but allowed me to go outside for family insurance. There was no saving there and the individual plan rates bagan to climb. As time went on the rates went up and up and....gone. I finally retired after 35 yrs with the county that I worked for and then the stuff REALY hit the fan! I pay over $1600 per mo. for my wife and myself (the kids are gone). As I am on the verge of the magic "65" age group, I find that (since I was employed as a law enforcement officer and the County doesn't pay into Social Security for cops) I didn't have the requisit quarters for the "free" Medicare plans. I will STILL pay over $1300 per mo. for myself and wife even with the purchase of (the 'affordable' Medicare parts A and B) plus suplimental coverage....after my 65th birthday...and that is the cheapest I can locate! My advice is to stay with the $600 and count your blessings! Mike

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I don't recognize the acronyms RN and CO so I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Biggest issues to deal with - are your provider relationships and the available PPO/HMO networks. If you don't have pre-requisite relationships the issue of networks is moot, but find out from your providers who they are contracted with first if you intend to continue and want to stay in-network.

Insurance is based upon the premise of what risks you can accept and those you need to transfer. Forecast your medical needs - Rxs, routine care and estimate what those actual dollars are and also inquire to your providers what their policies are on self pay for visits and procedures and ask about cash discounts - insurance companies demand them and so can you.

Large deductibles can appear imposing, but in reality they happen rarely. Everyone takes payments ($100/200 month), makes a large deductible do-able).

The HSA recommendation may be a good one - only you can figure that out. Copays are not always a great deal - we pay for those mini deductibles and sometimes when you figure out that you may be paying 30-50% of a visit or 50%+ of a Rx, that can be no bargain.

Take the largest deductible that is appropriate for your family situation and transfer the remainder of the risk to the insurance company. Don't forget about underwriting issues and pre-existing conditions. Do an informal inquiry if you're unsure.

Good Luck

Jay

8. ansvel

ansvel Member

I always wondering, the richest country in the world cannot cover they citizens.
    Millions of Americans have no medical insurance. Delirium!!!

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Forget the insurance, no one goes without medical care unless they choose to. You can go to any emergency room in the United States and they have to treat you and stabilize you. Look at every illegal who comes to the US for free care and drops a kid without insurance.

That's delirium!

Jay

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

You have to be a member of Sams Club but that membership is really quite cheap but check out the various policies they have. Cheaper than actually going to the provided and getting the policy from them and they have a plethora (a word I like to use but rarely have a chance to) of various options and policies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.