1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANYONE BREW THEIR OWN BEER?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have tried twice in the past 20 years and both times I failed.. Just wondering if there is a pretty fool proof kit out there now? thanks!

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I used to but haven't for years. I made some good stuff every once in a while, but I also made a lot of awful crap. It just wasn't worth the trouble, when you could go buy beer better than what I made.

The fun part for me was drinking the factory long necks dry so I had bottles to bottle. The hard part? Washing the bottles.

Saying that I've been toying with the idea of brewing some again if I could find a kit where you bottle it in a keg, and didn't have to mess with 50 or 60 bottles.

Hope you find a fool proof kit.

3. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I used to have a trap range yrs ago. I alsol brewed alot of my own beer. Made many different kinds. You can have alot of fun once you begin to make good beer. On Friday nights after the shoots were over some of the fellows would stay and help me put things away. After we were done we would all hit the brew. Just a coulple of bottles cause my brew usually went from 7 to 9% or 14 to 18 proof.

The main thing of making brew is everything needs to be sterilised and stay clean. everything you touch and use must be free of any contanimation. If you don't it will spoil or kill the yeast. Yeast is a bacteria and it can go to pot very quick if it gets some strange bug in your batch. If you can get buy that then you got good beer.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

b12,

Not to be a "baXX buster,' but yeast is a fungus...

5. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

No but I do have a meth lab in the garage. LOL

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have in the past and am getting ready to start again. I just finished building a roller mill to grind the malted barley. You can brew some of the best beer there is for about a buck a gallon by mashing your own malt.

It sounds like a major job, and can be if you make it, but really it can be very easy also.

I haven't used bottles in years as they are a major PITA, I keg it using Cornelius kegs, the kind they use to put soda syrup in, then just chill it put CO2 pressure ion it, when the beer gets cold it will absorb the CO2 and you don't have to wait for carbonation to build as you do when you prime it in bottles.

It's easier to just buy malt extract, but that also costs more, there's some web sites that cover it real good, Homebrew.com is one, that will give you some good info, and also has suppliers

The Joy of Homebrewing is a pretty good book by Charlie Pappazian, but as said before keeping everything sterile is very important, any bacteria that gets in the brew after it starts to cool down can get some real wierd results in the finished product, as it will affect the yeast.

Try it out, it starts as a hobby and can grow into an obssesion, and nothing can live through the brewing process to make you ill.

If you get some buddies together drinking your last batch of beer while you brew the new ones, you can come up with some damn good variations, one I still like is Jalepeno beer, sounds weird, but it heats you up while it cools you down

Good luck

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Jalepeno beer??

do you have to pee in the creek after drinking it??

I have ate some Jalepenos before that I had to sh*t in the creek to keep my rear end from catching fire..lol..

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've brewed a lot of it. Only ever made one bad batch...all the rest of it was better than I can buy, regardless of what I spend.

Maybe i'm lucky, maybe its the Anchorage water.

Keep your stuff CLEAN. Super clean, even.

Our brewer store has recipes you can get, and then you buy the stuff you need and go make it. The only bad batch I ever made was was when I tried to make raspberry wheat - we didn't know you were supposed to have the grain cracked before you brewed, so we just put the whole kernals in.

It was really, really good - and it would get you drunk, there was enough sugar from the berries. And it looked like a glass of Budweiser, it was so clean and pure - because the grain wasn't cracked. There just wasn't any beer in that beer - it was like drinking raspberry flavored carbonated beer colored water.

I gave it all away. The neighborhood wives LOVED it.

9. Catpower

I only have brewed two batches that were pretty bad, the first was when I was about 13 or 14 my buddy came up with a recipe to brew it, and I found a can of Blue Ribbon malt extract in our basement, hell probably left over from the prohibition days, we brew it up the way the recipe called for but it said we needed some lemon juice, for some unknown reason, but we didn't have any so we figured we would use grapefruit juice, we bottled it, waited, and finally opened up a bottle it smelled just like beer so with baited breath we tasted it, most God awful stuff tasted like fermented grapefruit juice, but what the hey, we drank in and got pretty gassed

The other was a batch of Dopplebock, not sure what went wrong there, I think too much beer being consumed when brewing, it was pretty rough, I gave to a buddy that said he would drink any beer,he said he drank his fill of it got his head right, but will never drink anymore of it

Really the jalepeno beer was good, not real hot but had a bite to it

10. jdomas

jdomas Member

I brew regularly and it is absolutely necessary to steralize anything the cooling wort touches before you add the yeast. As stated above, Charlie Papazians book is an excellent source of info and recipes. Start with something simple (brown ale) and go from there. There is no such thing as a foolproof kit so just clean and steralize everything. Good luck.

John D.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is just like canning, ev erything has to be very sterile. I made some good beer but now my wife works at the beer dist and I get a lot of Micros cheap. Ninkasi is my all time favorite. I cannot afford to brew for what she pays

12. Catpower

Cuban that isn't fair

And you even get home delivery, Dayum LOL

13. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

My best friend does (I don't), and after a few years of practice, he makes some fine brews. I now prefer his beers to whatever I could buy in the store coolers. He enjoys doing it, and I enjoy testing his latest recipes....

Jack

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Yes I do. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing in home brewing your own beer is sanitation. Sterilization is not necessary. Buy the book "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. Read the whole thing. All will be revealed.

Prost!!

Jeff

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

That jalapeno beer sounds interesting. Care to share the recipe?

Jim

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

not anymore. especially now that you can get great, high gravity beers for as little as 2 bucks a bottle! but i brewed my fair share in college. true, it takes a lot of preparation; and clean up. but my biggest thing was my inability to consistently reproduce a favorite recipe. i think the attention to the details/variables required more than i was interested in. it's like a precise art. anyway, never made a batch i couldn't drink. but i did make some pretty big messes in the kitchen. if you find something foolproof, post back, i might give it another go. good luck with it

17. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

blkcloud

There have been so many changes in 20 years. You can now buy about anything that you want to help you. It is alot like trapshooting in terms of money if you want it all. I started with a 100 dollar kit and now have well over 2000 dollars in equipment. I'm bragging, but I can make darn good beer.

I suggest that you look for information on the web. I would direct you to midwestsupplies.com This is an excellent outfit and they would include their free DVD about brewing with any order.

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

catpower, how did you make your roller mill? Any plans?

19. Catpower

I was bored one day, and have a few shops full of machines, so I just built it I used 1 1/2 1050 cold rolled for the rolls, knurled them and just some 3/4 inch bronze bushings for the bearings on it

I was going to just power one roll, but tried it and decided to power both of them, so I turned some small pulleys and made a serpentine system using a flat belt to power both rolls, now it rolls the malt really good.

I Have the rolls spaced at about .040 apart, they are adjustable but that's about where it does the best job, but I do need to experiment a little

A roller mill works better than a burr mill like the ones you can buy that kind of look like a meat grinder, it crushes the malt instead of grinding it

To cook the wort, I built a small 7.5 KW electric boiler, that I hook ut to a copper coil I put in the mash tun, that way there is no chance of scorching the wort while cooking, I have a Johnson Controls A 419 elctronic thermostat to control the temp so I can follow my recipes better

Someone asked how you make jalapeno beer, it's real eay, just toss some in the brew pot while you're cooking, you'll have to experiment to your taste though

Good Luck, beer brewing is fun and easy

20. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Drop a cup or two of raisins in the brew when you think the yeast has almost stopped working. Give it another couple of weeks before going to bottle. That is called raisin jack. The proof will be more like 15. One bottle will do most folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.