1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Anyone bought a new table saw recently?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Member

Going to be moving into a new house soon that needs some remodeling and am looking to pick up a quality table saw without breaking the bank. Right now, the candidates are the portable Bosch and Dewalt models at Lowes that are around $500. Is there anything out there that is just as good but cheaper? I don't want Chicom knock-off garbage.
  2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Feb 2012 issue of Popular Mechanics has an evaluation on them...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/power-tools/portable-table-saws-we-test-11-to-find-the-best#slide-1
  3. warren

warren Member

I bought the Bosch with that collapsible stand and haven't regreted it. Nice accruate saw especially like the soft start. Be sure and get the extensions for long cuts.

warren
  4. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

You're in the right ballpark at $500 bucks if you want something decent.

Another possibility is a RIDGID portable from Home Depot, also about $500.
  5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My son is a finish carpenter and has tried them all and uses a Dewalt with the fold out leg stand. He also has a few Bosch tools but since they have a repair center for Dewalt in Panama City he pretty much sticks with them. Jackie B.
  6. Bentley998

Bentley998 TS Member

I find no fault with the recommendations made earlier - Bosch makes quality tools- that having been said if you want a quality saw which almost never needs realignment I suggest Delta Unisaw or Powermatic with a 2 hp motor, get a Bisemeyer fence -I have a had a Powermatic with a Bisemeyer fence for 40 years and very rarely do I have to realign
    You might also look at Sawstop which has a feature that reduces major accidents to a minor inconvenience - the test is to push a hotdog into t he spinning blade. The blade on this saw only takes a nick out of the hotdog before stopping the blade. This is not a cheap saw but will prevent you mitering 3-4 fingers or cutting off a thumb. Table saw accidents are among the most common power tool mishaps.
  7. 320090T

320090T Active Member

I bought a Delta contractor table saw and love it. Took an hour or so to adjust it in. I am happy.
  8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Well that's a new one for me. I looked up SawStop and apparently the blade carries a small electrical charge and will detect conductive material (like skin) and shut down.

I confess I'm a little skeptical though as to how often it might shut down erroneously (woods vary in moisture content after all and can be conductive).

I'm a trim carpenter too and can say that the first thing most guys do with a new saw is take off all the "safety" junk. It just gets in the way and won't save you from being stupid anyway. If you're working with small stuff and/or there's any chance your fingers will get near the blade, there are simple precautions one should use. Like hold-downs, feather boards, push sticks, not raising the blade any higher than necessary, you get the idea. If you won't take simple precautions you will have only yourself to blame when something goes terribly wrong.

Anyway, the cheap little direct-drive portables are real b@st@rds. But on a job site sometimes that's what you have to use. Typically I'd nail it down to the subfloor in the work area to keep it stable and was always leery of it. One doesn't have unlimited space in one's work truck for tools, what with compressor, hoses, nail guns, miter saws, sanders, hand planers, etc, etc.

For your workshop, that's a different story, you should get something decent. I've used a Delta contractor's saw for many years, but it sure isn't portable. A lot of the newer saws mentioned would be fine though.

Good luck.
  9. ric3677

ric3677 Active Member

What ever saw you get, make sure you get a "good blade" The saw is only as good as the blade.

Rick in MT
  10. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Just my 2 cents but, every power tool i have that has PORTER-Cable on it Are Great. Do not know about table saw ???? joe90t
  11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

You mean someone other than the Chicoms makes table saws?
  12. Ross

Ross Active Member

As retired finish carpenter (missing 2 fingers) the SAWSTOP is the only one to consider, it has a replaceable cartridge, not cheap but I sure would rather replace the cartridge than lose a finger. I have used them & they are very good. The cartridge can be bypassed if necessary. ie used lumber with nails etc. As ric3677 said use good blades, with the correct hook angle. Ross Puls

PS If you would like more info PM me your phone # and a time to call, I'm in Ga. eastern time zone.
  13. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Active Member

Grizzly, I wouldn't buy anything else.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/530020|530002|530000

SW
  14. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I recently bought a used Enco off of Craigs list. So far a great saw.

Mike Adcock
  15. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

The place where I work has two SawStop Table saws. They really work! One fellow one day slipped when he was doing a cut and got nothing more than what looked like a scratch on his fingertip. Not even a Band-Aid needed! As was already stated, the machine can be overriden if cutting wet lumber or something that may have nails in it. The override ends when the saw is shut off. It will automatically go back on. If you see one somewhere, just touch your finger on the(stopped) blade and you'll see the green light on the front along with the blinking red light. When that red light is on, it cannot be started. The cartridge that stops the blade is actually fired off by a small .22 cartridge.

As for other, more affordable saws, I am not a fan of Powermatic. The reason is that the arbor is on the left side of the blade. What this does is if you put in a thicker kerf blade, the fence will have to be re-adjusted. That and the up and down blade adjustment is not very friendly when it comes to making a minor height adjustment. This is a real pain when you're trying to get a dado cut just the right depth.

I know for some of you that I may be splitting hairs but I have been a cabinetmaker for 35 years and have found what is and is not good for equipment that makes my work easier to do.

Tim
  16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

Bosch is hard to beat....I personally own a Craftsman I bought in the 70's...it's got a cast iron table but I added a Bisemyer T-Square fence on it and it MAKES the saw twice as good....
  17. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I own a Delta cabinet saw, 10 inch blade, right tilt. If you can afford one, you won't be sorry. The only thing I would change, I would rather have a left tilt. Raised panels would be easier to make.

Chuck
  18. surfcitydude

surfcitydude TS Member

The rep brought a SawStop to my buddies cabinet shop. He used the weenie to demonstrate. I asked him to use his finger and he passed. So did we!
  19. BobKatz

BobKatz Member

Where are you located? I have a couple table saws in the Cincinnati area I seldom use.

Katz
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.