1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody watch the Indy 500?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, May 27, 2013.

1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

After I took my noon time nap yesterday, I woke in front of the TV. I started flipping through the channels and came upon the Indy 500. The race was already 100 plus laps into the race, so I thought I would watch it until the finish. Wow, what a race. It seemed like there was a lead change every 3 or 4 laps. Those guys were zipping and passing. The race ended under a yellow, which I don't like but it was still a great race.

This was the first race I've watched in years. I know this race doesn't have the same attraction it did in years pass when you had AJ Foyt, Rutherford, Unsers, Andrettis, Mears, etc... This race I couldn't even name but a couple of the drivers, but it was still a good race.

I might have to actually go to the race next year. Used to go years ago but it was just for the party in the infield. We would load the camper up with a couple of kegs and camp in the Coca-Cola parking lot.

Still it was a good race with a bunch of no name drivers passing, and weaving, and racing.

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Personally I thought the ending Sucked! Why would they finish a race under caution when there was still 4 laps left to run?

3. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Have to agree with both of the above. Has been some years since I sat in front of the TV and watched -- only 90 miles southwest of Indy -- but have a terrible cold and was stuck inside. But all the lead changes did make it interesting for me, but I also agree that the green-white checker would be a bit more interesting. Attended only once in 1969 -- what a beautiful event and particularly the festivities the morning of the race and immediately before the start.

4. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I watched the whole thing. Record number of lead changes, and I thoght it was a good race. I agree with Rick that it has become to high tech, with all of that foreign crap involved, but I'm just a racing nut. I watched the Coca-Cola 600 also. Have a good holiday. Charlie

5. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

You knew the makes of the engines, sponsors & drivers. They were all regulars.
    Foyt, Unser, Rutherford, Jones, Andretti, Penske, Donahue, Bettenhausen, Vukovich, Pollard, Walther, Mears, Ruby etc. It was the Greatest Spectacle in Racing. Truly Americana.

Now????

6. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Buzz kill to watch the checkered flag waving at cars going 80 mph!

7. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I guess we all complain about NASCAR, and then find out we are spoiled with the type finishes the green-white-checkered provides.

All the good racing to the end then a backmarker crashes, and they coast under the checkered flag. Sort of spoiled what looked to be building to a real memorable ending to the race.

8. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I was there frist time for me. I drove a motor coach for one of the Firestone groups. I went in watched the frist 50 laps. I was on the straight strech comeing out of the last turn. It was unbelievable how fast they went buy. About 41 seconds for 2 1/2 mile lap. It was to not my cup of tea so I went back to the coach. I was glad to see it but I sure wouldn't pay to go back. I saw cars for a couple of seconds then wait till they come back. Much more fun watching the people. Tom

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I too watched the race,,,After I watched the formula 1 race from Monaco which was actually a race.

This roundy roundy stuff has got to go. These cookie cutter cars buzzing around a circle for 3 hours is about as boring as watching paint dry. But really erked me was ALL of the CARS had the exact same chassis and bodies! The only things different were the engines and the paint jobs, and the only way you could tell the engines were different was by the name of the outside! Tehy might as well raced Go-Karts.

I was told by one of my dedicated race friends that they changed the cars after Dan Weldons crash last year and they were also looking for more billboard space on the cars. They damn sure got the billboard space. The only sponsor I didn't see was Kotex!

These new cars are no longer "Open Wheel" cars. The back wheels are almost totally enclosed. This is to prevent hooking wheels at 200+ mph,and make them safer, which is a good thing. I guess, since I don't want to see anyone get hurt. But surprisingly they raced open wheel cars for a century before this year, and still do everywhere but the IRL.

But really all they need to do is cut down on the engine displacement which would cut the speed back to below 190 mph or so.

The cars looked like they were pooped out of a cookie machine.

Also I was taken back by how slow the pit stops are.

In F1 they don't allow refueling so they don't have to worry about fires. but they do have to use at least two different tire compounds which means at least one pit stop. Usually it is more like 3-4 stops during the race as the tires degrade quickly.

At normal pit stop in F1 is 3.0 seconds for all four tires! A fast pitstop is 2.1 seconds!

These two events used to be very similar and the cars were also very similar, but they are two completely different worlds now.

I used to love Indy because the cars were special. Teh Offenhausers were some of teh most awesome machines ever created, and all built on manual machines.

Now they are less interesting than NASCAR cars. So much for the usefulness of political correctness.

Luckily F1 is still the best racing out there, with the possible exception of some dirt track races.

Randy

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

W.R" did you see the Indycar race at Sao Paulo? Helluva show! Oval races are boring regardless of the type of cars. Too bad Indy ended on Yellow, but that has happened before. The GWC finish at NASCAR is just so the rednecks can see more crashes, just a two-bit thrill show.

11. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Before I pass my total observations, need to check everyone's birth certificate, I enjoyed the race, but first I had requests to get the grass cut.
    Yhe list was longer but, the Indy , saved. I enjoyed the race, likely got more excited in the past, I oftened attended the Great Lakes Grand in the past .

Joe Woods/Ontario

12. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I took a group of senior and junior SCTP kids to the Grand in Vandalia, in 2003, that had won the Texas Junior and Senior Titles, and on our way back, we stopped at the Indy Motor Speedway. What an experience. I went through the museum, and the kids took a ride around the track in the sightseeing bus. It was something else. It was really something to be in the place of history, especially if you are a racing fan.

13. oz

oz Active Member

more interesting than nascar.... go fast---turn left---go fast--- turn left---repeat for 500 miles.

14. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I watched the F1 race, the Indy 500 and the Coke 600. All were good races. I DVR'd them all and watched them, less commercials.

I have never been to an Indy 500 or F1 race(I want to though) but I have been to a lot of Nascar races.

What makes these races so special is they are all on Memeorial day and the Indy 500 and the Coke 600 go all out in supporting our current and past service personnel.

If you are a true motor sports race fan, last Sunday was a great day. I do not miss cars winning by 2 to 3 laps ahead of everyone else, now that sucked.

15. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

The IRL and NASCAR is trying to make the racing more exciting by making the cars closer to the same therefore promoting closer racing. This is a throwback to IROC racing which everyone drove the same Camaros. It was boring beyond belief.

When you have cars that are so aerodynamically sensative and when the Cars set up changes literally by the lap, and you add 200+MPH and then 25 cars in one pod on the same lap, it is exciting.

But it is also dangerous and promotes more Crashes. And all of you have seen how any hiccup can cause a catastrophic event. Just look how Dale Earnhart died.

Road courses have crashes too, but they seldom happen at 200mph, and F1 hasn't had a fatality since 1978.

There should be exactly one race for IRL cars on an oval tracks per year. That would be Indy. The rest should be on road courses. Then the cars could go back to a proper open wheel design, and maybe there wouldn't be 26 cars on the lead lap <3 seconds apart.

Close racing is not necessarily good racing.

Just because someone can catch a good draft on the last lap does not really mean he should win the race. It really only menas they won the last lap!

I want to see technology advance in racing, but I want that technology to come from individual teams of men not one corporation that controls the entire sport down to the number of lock washers on the back side of the steering wheel.

In F1 we have several teams that are not connected in any way. Red Bull, McLarren, Ferrari, Mercedes, Lotus, Williams, Force India, Caterham etc. In the first 6 races of the year, each of the five most dominate teams has won once and one team has won twice. ALL With Completely Different Cars, and three different engines. On Road Courses, that have turns in both directions. and those courses seem to favor different types of cars, so nobody has the perfect car for every course, and any driver has a decent chance in every race, because there is 22 cars on the grid not 44.

The technology evolves continuously in F1. All this year Mercedes has struggled with tire wear. They have had three poles, but Sunday they won their first Grand Prix at Monaco EVER! It took them 3 years to do that since they reentered racing in 2010, and they have only won one other race since re-entering F1. They even had Michael Schumacher driving for them, and still only managed one victory since Nico Rosberg won in China last year. They stopped in 1957, and had a lot of catching up to do.

Like I said earlier I loved the Indy Roadster. I think they were some of the most awesome cars ever to grace the asphalt. However they had only one place, and that was at INDY!

Randy

16. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I watched the last 30 laps in the clubhouse at Redlands.I hate seeing races end on a caution. What I saw before the caution was good racing.

I have always liked open wheel racing more than stock cars. It seems to me that it takes more skill. If you bump somebody in an open wheel car there is going to be a wreck.

The Indy 500 is on by bucket list.

Darr

17. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Been following it since I was ten. (58 years ago). This was one of the best in my memory since the 1959 duel between Rathmann and Ward. I suspect that Franchitti might have hit the wall to put a lock on the yellow and his buddy's win (TK) but probably not. Tony makes a good representative for the sport.
    Used to like Foyt and Unser and the rest...more of a in your face, slambang style and a fist to the face of some dumba** who causes a wreck through stupidity. I note that all the women were still runnning at the end and a few placed higher than some of the big boys.
    How many starts have the Andretti clan had for their one win? True curse. Must be cub fans also.

18. dougp

dougp TS Member

Like the Indy , my favorite race ,Nascar is good too so the rule Nascar has regarding the caution or yellow flag , .use it on the Indy ,Makes for one hell of a finish .

Doug

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Randy,

(2) things:

(1) Michael Schumacher was real good until they took traction control away from F1, at that point he became obsolete.

(2) Mercedes was given a 2000 Kilometer tire test under the pretense of being a saftey test for the tire manufacturer. Just seems a little coinsidental. Rule in F1 is no testing during the season, but, there is a clause that lets the tire manufacturer pick any team to do a saftey test, thus skirting the rule for all others.

20. riggs

riggs Member

Thats why I don't go any more wouldn't want to pay all that money to go
    and watch race finish under caution if it was raining I could see it.

stupid stupid stupid

Riggs