1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Use Titegroup For Handicap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KenC, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenC

KenC Member

Does anyone here use Titegroup for handicap?

If so, how much for 1 1/8 of #7 in a Nitro 27 hull w/a Claybuster 3118-12A (the figure 8) wad to get it to a 3 dram equivalent?

Thanks,

Ken

2. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

17 is what I drop for sporting clays and trap games.

The books says that you can drop 18 @ 1250 fps and 11,500 chamber pressure.

I personally do not like 18 grains, I think it blows your pattern and no stream.

17 works for me off the 27 just fine.

It loads fine in any Remington hull with a tapered wall.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Use Hodgdon Data. 18.5 is the max, I think that is around 1250.

TGT or Figure 8 wads, and REMINGTON primer. (I pay big for them but they work better than the cheapies in this load.) Of course a Nitro or STS hull.

This is a very dense powder, so you may need the TGT if you don't want to do a lot of adjusting.

Not since the days of Federal papers and 12C1 wads with PB have I had such a fine load for caps.

HM

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Titegroup makes a great handicap load, use Hodgdon data and the TGT12s wad and a remington 209p primer.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yes. Titegroup works great for handicap loads.

See wolfram's post. You can very nearly duplicate the Remington Factory Nitro 27 shells using that combination, using 18.2 grains of Titegroup.

Back off to about 17.1 grains for a nominal 3 dram load.

As noted above, the Figure 8 clone may be too short for Titegroup, since it is a very dense powder. You may get dished crimps. Hodgdon advises the TGT-12 or its clone can be substituted for the Figure 8 in their recipes.

The TGT-12 or Downrange DRRT wad works well for this combination.

Excellent powder.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought 4 lbs a year or so ago and loaded up a bunch of 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz but never shot them until last weekend and I was really amazed. Very fast but soft

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I used up 8 lbs. duplicating the Nitro-27 load. I would have bought more if it had been available. One nice thing about it is I can get by with one wad, the TGT-12. Use Clays for the 1 oz loads, and Titegroup for the 1 1/8.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Once the secret get's out on how nice this stuff really is it'll get as tough to find as CLAYS. 16.5 grs, with an 1 1/8 shot and a TGT wad makes for an outstanding 16 yd. load. I wish someone would chronograph a few combinations and re-assure me the very low felt recoil is not the result of faulty loading data. The only downside is bushing availability for such low volume powder drops!!

9. agbubba

agbubba TS Member

17.1 grains of Titegroup (that's what my MED #19 bushing drops) with the Remington 209P and the TGT-12 wad gives light recoil and great velocity and the reload looks like a factory shell. I cut open a factory STS Handicap shell and the powder looked just like Tightgroup. Again I offer a word of caution: A double charge of powder will fit, and almost be not noticable. Be extra cautious should you have a shot or powder spill and need to interrupt your loading procedure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fed papers with titegroup