1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody use TightWad for 1oz @1180?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipking, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

Just out of curiosity does anyone out there use TightWad for 1oz @ 1180. I have a lead on a bunch pretty darn reasonable and since I have never tried it I thought I would ask before I spent a bunch of money (novel approach I know). It looks like according to Hodgdon with my current components STS hull, DRRT12, NS primer I could use 16.6 grains to get about 1180 with about 8,600 psi. I'm looking for a picture of the powder as well as I would like to see how far they went with the "flattened spherical" thing. Some times it is almost impossible to tell the difference between that and flakes.

Thanks --- Chip King ---

2. oz

oz Active Member

I could not get clays about a year ago. I bought titewad (cheaper) and I like it. I use sts wads though. I have had no problems with it. see no reason to go back ot clays. oz

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Shot it for several years. Makes a fine 1 oz and light 1 1/8oz powder. Burns clean and economical to load.

Jim

4. leadvail

leadvail Member

I loaded thousands of 1oz.8's estates/w209/cb tgt 12 with 18.5gr. of TW for my doubles load. Clean,soft recoil, meters perfect. Only issue I have with it is the spillage from my adjustable charge bar on my 9000 because it is so fine grained.
    Bob

5. RRA

RRA TS Member

I have been using TW for over a year. I load 1180 fps with 1 ounce windjammer wads and AA hulls. The fine granuals do create a slight mess as they do migrate out of the charge bar. It does burn clean. I used Clays for years and only switched to TW because it was less expensive.

I have not had any problems, but I have not shot them over a chronograph to see if there is a difference in cold versus hot temperatures or what variance there is between shots. What I can tell you is I can't duplicate the charge weight the MEC chart suggests for bushings. My actual weights are always less than what the chart says they should hold.

Rod

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I've loaded and shot a bazillion 1 oz at 1200 and it works fine. I RTV'd a little piece of mylar sheet with an appropriate sized hole in it to the bottom of my Mec bar to stop the powder spillage. The end of the sheet sticks out past the bar so I can see if it comes loose from the glue. So far it has worked well.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

STS, TGT, TW. 18.0 gr. woofs 16 yard targets, and using it for skeet too.

HM

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have, at times, substituted Titewad when I couldn't get Clays.

Works great. Powder is finer than Clays, and as noted above, can be a little more messy than Clays.

Its a much denser powder, and does not take up nearly as much space in your hull as Clays does, so there might be some adjustment required to your machine.

Performance-wise, it works great!

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I tried it when it first came out. Almost gave up on it because of the powder migration on my MEC 9000 even with the brass washer. But then I tried the Pattern Control (PC) red plastic baffle for MECs and that solved 96% of the migration problem.

Also, crimps were a little dished in with no hole so I did not bother adjusting the machine.

I did not feel that it was that much of a savings so I went back to Clays for my 1 oz loads. The PC baffle works even better with Clays only 1 or 2 flakes of powder per 100 shells.

Jason

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Did anyone try 7/8 using TW? or 3/4 with 8's. I used TW in my Dillion the powder was always messy, along came VV 320 burned the same rate as TW but metered perfect and cleaner, was thinking to use 320. Opinions

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

slic

Hodgdon has data for 7/8 ounce loads and Titewad, but the lowest velocity is 1250 fps.

There is no data for 3/4 ounce loads using Titewad.

If you're looking for something slower than that, have a look at Clays or Winchester AA Lite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1oz loads with tightwad powder

tightwad for 1oz target load

tightwad one ounce loads