1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anybody use an Americase for airline travel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by samthompson, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samthompson

samthompson Member

there are a lot of threads about people who have had bad experiences with an Americase for airline travel... has anybody been happy with their Americase for airline travel.

IMO - there are a lot of advantages to these cases and (while other cases may be good or better PURELY for airline travel) I am trying to determine if there are folks out there who are happy... but seem to be silent on the threads.

Thanks in advance.

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I use an Americase or Nasco case. I will wrap receiver and barrels in bubble wrap, to be sure it will not move inside the case.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've got 6 of them, been all over the world with them, NEVER had a problem. I've seen baggage handlers actually throw them. Sure, they come back from every trip with new scuff marks, but never damaged a gun. None better!

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I use the Americase for the Kolar, 90-T and the old Beretta. Bill Malcolm

5. mooney

mooney Member

Americases are junk. I wish that Nasco would rise from the ashes and begin to provide shooters with a quality product. I have had my Nasco double combo case for thirty years and never had a problem. I flew with the Americase once and the interior dividers were broken in three places.

Mooney-Glenn Wedding

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I use mine, don't think they are junk. Travelled via airline with it numerous times, never a problem.

I also know they will take some pretty good punishment. At this year's Grand I had my Americase sitting in the back of my SUV and as I was leaving I didn't realize that the rear hatch didn't latch. As I pulled onto Cardinal road and accelerated, the case slid to the back, pushed the rear hatch open and fell onto the road as I was going about 30 miles an hour. No damage to the case or to the gun inside.

Scott

7. RAScott

RAScott Member

I have flown several times with my kolar in the Americase. Excellent case. I stuff additional cloths or rags around the forend to tightenit up. The only problem is NO wheels and the weight of the case.
    I recently bought a pelican case for travel, Another great case. with luggage and what ever else you bring. it is nice to have the wheels.
    Bob S

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Americase is one of the best cases for airline travel. I also have had excellent luck with my NASCO. Bad things have happened to me with John Halls and any other plastic case. Often the plastic cases will get squeezed or bent enough to damage the contents and just snap back and look fine as it comes off the baggage mover.

I had three John Halls destroyed along with the gun's inside by the airlines. Mr. Hall made all of them good and I decided they were not good for airlines but I still like them for carrying to the club. Nice and light.

I had a Pelican that got twisted, broke the stock on my Mod. 50, 20 ga. on a hunting trip. The case was un damaged. Never again.

9. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I love my americases and fly all the time with them. I like that they are versatile and can be packed many differt ways with different guns. To me, this makes they better than the lighter pelicans. Joe

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Smashed panels are quite common with Americases. Find an old Nasco and you'll be safe!!

11. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I've traveled with most of them - Nasco, Americase, Hall etc and come to the conclusion that any metal case with a firearm inside it is heavier than I want to lug around an airport and the John Case is better suited to going back and forth to the club in a car or from home to a hunting location if going by car.

The best case, in my opinon, is the shorter version of the Tuff-Pak made for take-down shotguns and/or rifles. It's light-weight, has stout wheels and a useful extendable handle, multiple lock options and there's room inside to stow some things like a ltwt raincoat, a soft gun case, etc.

I have friends who have made multiple trips to Africa with the larger version for non-takedown rifles and like them.

They were originally made to ship photgraphic gear such as lights and big cameras.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.