1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody use a wire brush on their shotgun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by branwheat007, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. branwheat007

branwheat007 TS Member

Had a guy tell me that he always uses a wire brush to clean his shotgun. Won't that scratch up the barrel? Just curious.
    Brandon

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I can only assume that he was talking about the inside of the gun and not the outside!

I use a phosphor-bronze (wire) bore brush to scrub the bore of all my shotguns. Some people even go as far as to chuck a cleaning rod in a power drill and use the brush that way. I can't see any advantage to that. Phosphor-bronze won't harm the bore; stainless steel will.

Morgan

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The brushes sold in cleaning kits are fine. I usually wrap a little steel wool around them and use with a drill motor to remove plastic build up.

Add a little low sulphur cutting oil to polish forcing cones after reaming.

HM

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use a tornado brush - stainless steel web style, I have never had any issues with it - I thought stainless was softer steel?!

Jay

5. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Not me. Bore snake seems to do a great job of cleaning the barrels.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Please extrapolate a little on what and how this wire brush is used so that we may conjecturize a properly formulated response to your inquiry.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Brandon, I had the same question, and everyone assured me that the brass wire brushes are fine. Then I remembered the Rockwell Scale (hardness testing for metals) that we used in our Mechanics of Materials class/lab in school and I realized that they were correct.

I don't know much about the material used to make gun barrels, but if you know the type of metal and the hardening process used, you can look up the data online for both the gun barrel and the brush. That should ease your mind.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

.50 Cal square cut brush has been on a section of rod for cleaning chambers & chokes for many moons. A dip in Hoppe's and a quick spin with the drill and ..clean & no plastic. They are soft steel and will not mar a barrel.

Big Jack

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I only get to the tornado brush after build up. I use a Tico Tool (Outers) the wooly stick in between a few rounds, the BoreSnake at the end of the day.

Jay

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A regular 12 guage bronze brush dipped in Hoppes #9 works for me. I push the brush down the tube and then pull it back about a half dozen times and then let everything sit for about 15 minutes and then swab with a solvent soaked mop. Then remove the choke tube and shave that clean with a pocket knife. Reinstall and wipe out everything with a clean patch on a rubber jag. Thats about as cavemannish as I get with the barrel cleaning. The entire process takes about 1 beer to complete, power tools only cut into the available drinking time.

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I do the same as wolfram above except when I use a wire bore brush and Hoppe's #9 solvent I use 10 gauge brushes instead of 12 gauge. Hoppe's and others make them and I'll buy 3-4 at a time when I see them. I use the boresnake after each day's shooting & the wire bore brush every couple months.

If branwheat007 is asking about using some sort of wire brush on the outside of the barrel, that's another matter. It will destroy the bluing real quick. Don't go there.

Jon Reitz

12. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Probably not a good idea to use it too often on the wood stock, either. At least not with a power tool!

13. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I was told it is ok to use wire brushes on chromed barrels, don't use them on high end guns without chromed barrels---chrome plating is used to hide cheaper machining imperfections that most mass produced guns have----Phil

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, I use a bore brush with a cordless drill. First, lube with WD-40, run it through, then a patch through it.....like a mirror.

Tron

15. branwheat007

branwheat007 TS Member

I was speaking of the inside bore of the barrel. Guess I need to go and get a wire brush. I always just used mops with a powder solent and then one for oil. Thanks for the info. Brandon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge bore snake will the brass scrub scratch the inside barrel

are wire brushes used for shotguns

can you run wire brush through shotgun

gun barrel wire brush 12ga

will wire brushing a shotgun barrel destroy the choke

wire choke trap