1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody use a RCBS GRAND

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill1269, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

Looking at getting a grand,can anyone give any opinions on one,the good and the bad point's.Also info from RCBS say's it can load 200 shell's an hour,seems a little low compared to the other progressive loader's.Any info. would be appreciated.
    Thanks Bill

2. lewddt10

lewddt10 TS Member

Bill,
    I have two RCBS grands right now. They do not work very well. Seem to have a lot of ongoing problems with them. I am looking to get a Ponsness/Warren. It sounds like this is the loader to go with. Thanks, Jeff

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think RCBS is just being realistic with their production numbers. The Grand is no slower than any other progressive loader.

Grands are great machines and the service and support from RCBS is even greater. I bought one when they first came out and while there were some early teething problems that RCBS has worked out now, I would still be using it if my arthritis hadn't worsened, requiring that I go to a loader with a power operating system. I don't care for hydraulics so I bought a MEC 9000G and power it with an Auto-Mate II. But of all the manually-operated loaders I've owned, the Grand was the best.

As I've said many times, the trick to peaceful coexistence with any machine lies in understanding how it works.

Ed

4. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

The RCBS Grand has worked very well for me. I use it in 12 gauge with an additional 20 gauge conversion head. Takes about 20 minutes to swap heads. The Grand has proven far easier to adjust and maintain than my four PWs were. The PWs were a handful when they got out of adjustment. My big Dillon was a total POS, which surprised me as the Dillon 550 metallic was a good press. MECs are MECs. Built like 1100s, if you can put in the occasional part, they run for ever. The RCBS Grand is far better made than the MECs and seems to be very reliable now that they have worked out the plastic piece on the primer transfer.

RCBS service is A+. Life time warrantee. Just call for a part and they send it free. Never an argument.

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Bill I also have had nothing but trouble with the RCBS THE GRAND!
    Spend the extra money and buy a SPOLAR GOLD the only way to go!Rooferbob

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ditto Ed's comment. I like mine very much. I know how it works. I keep it clean and lubed, and it consistently produces superior reloads.

7. 45er

45er TS Member

I have used MEC's, PW's and the Hornady 366, but never the RCBS. Two friends at my sporting clays club bought the Grand and had a month of misery before they sold them. It's hard to believe a company like RCBS, who I agree have super customer service, would build a shotshell loader so fraught with problems as they apparently are. True, once you really understand the machine and its idiosyncracies, you can probably operate it just fine. But why go through all of that with an expensive machine. I have gone back to all MECs (of which I own six). They have their problems too, but I've found they are fewer and easier to fix. And since they're waaaay cheaper, I find that combination hard to beat. (and BTW, MEC has super customer service too). Good luck in your decision.

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

I have a Grand, and would still be using it regularly if not for a PW2000 I got cheap. The Grand is a nice press once you get it adjusted where you need it. It doesn't take a lot of adjustment either from the factory.

I could do without some of the plastic parts on it, like the doors that open to drop powder and shot. I was reloading recalimed with a lot of graphite and if you got too much build up, they would start to wear from the graphite, go figure. The nice thing though is like JoeE said, in 3 days you have new parts.

They are a nice press for the money. Really sturdy. You may want to opt for the riser stands to get it up and out from your bench.

For a little bit more there is always the PW option. They don't lie when they say they remanufacture a shell. I sometimes can't tell the difference between new and once fired. With a little tuning though, the RCBS will do the same, although I struggle with a Titegroup load dshing the crimps because I didn't have enough fill.

Ken

9. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

Have had one in 12 ga since first year they came out and only had minor issues for which the factory service was easy to contact and they immediately resolved the issue. Parts are free and advice is friendly and readily available. And most importantly makes great reloads.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Wank, on the one that "won't" load PB, you can get around the problem by exercising the powder shut-off bar a couple of times whenever the powder bar starts to get tight. The problem is the size of the cutout the shut-off rides in. If it is a little too deep, the shut-off will be a couple of thousandths lower than the charge bar. That's enough to shear fine grained powders like PB when the charge bar moves. The sheared dust builds up around the shut-off and increases resistance on the charge bar. Pressing the shut-off all the way in a half dozen times clears the buildup and eliminates the restriction. I've only had that problem with PB, especially the new Canadian manufactured PB (finer grained).

11. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have read the above comments and I am sure they are all true. I bought an RCBS Grand when they first came out . This year at the Grand a gentleman from RCBS went over things to look for. I checked everyone. They all needed attention. I have loaded shotgun shells for 40 yrs. MEC600/PW 800 B in 1975.
    In the early 80's I bought a Grabber and Hydraulic attachment.I bought a Grand most recently , I don't think I have successfully loaded 25 shells without wad,primer problems. As I get older my patients wares thin and I have easy access to factory ammo. But some day I am going to master this interesting loader. I am definately a fan of RCBS. I have most equipment for metalic loading.

Joe Woods/Ontario

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have a RCBS "The Grand" in both 12 and 20 ga.. I believe that they are much better than the PW presses I also have. As stated customer service is wonderful. The shells it produces are like new. Ben

13. johnpe

johnpe Member

Like most of the post above, I, too have tried different machines and currently have five MEC Grabbers (one in each gauge), a MEC 600 Jr. for 3" .410's and a 12 gauge Grand. I got rid of the 12 gauge PW 800C I had. I bought it second hand, but it had been factory reconditioned. It wouldn't load more than a couple of boxes with a real screw up and the shells it did load always gave me at least a blooper per box. Most of the problems seemed to be with the wad seating. Another trip to the factory didn't fix it, so out it went. No more bloopers - ever.

There was a definite learning curve with the Grand, even after all of the experience with the other machines. Once mastered, it is my hands down favorite. The 12 gauge MEC just sits in the closet - just in case. MEC and RCBS support is first class, but RCBS parts are cost free. There are some you will screw up and need.

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I upgraded to a RCBS Grand from a MEC Grabber and love the Grand. Excellent customer service, setup was no problem and fine tuning it is very simple. When it is fully loaded with primers, powder and shot and i have my hulls and wads ready to go I can produce a finished shell every 5 seconds - and each one is perfect. I am loading Federal Gold Medals, Nitro's, STS and AA's with virtually no adjustment necessary to the press except for minor adjustment to the crimp and that takes all of one minute.

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Frank, in my opinion they are easier to adjust, have more leverage (allowing easier sizing of steel bases), won't drop powder without hull in place, won't drop shot if no wad in hull, and if you are in to fast, they load faster without problems. I have had mine for 5 years and loaded several thousand shells with out a problem not caused by my carelessness. Ben

16. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

Well I purchased the grand,set it up and Have loade about 700 shells now without any problem's.So far I am very happy with this loader.
    Thanks for all of the input you guy's
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.