1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody tried Hevi-Steel ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slide action, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried the new Remington Hevi-Steel. Supposedly this is an alternative to Hevi Shot at a lesser cost. I save Hevi Shot for wary mallards over River Bottoms asnd large Geese, but shoot steel for everything else. How does Hevi-Steel compare in price etc. Just wondering, thanks.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Steel should be banned....especially in the hands of pilgrims, bunny busters and skybusters....

Curt

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Hevi steel is a mix of hevi-shot and steel. We have great luck on big ducks to 40yrds with #4 and Geesse with B's pattern your gun and use the most choke you can.Jeff

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

What is Federal "Black Cloud" and how does it compare ??

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

miketmx, It is my understanding that the two about the same in density and kenetic energy . While they are SLIGHTLY less expensive than Hevi-Shot, it is still fairly pricy. Prices seem to run abot 5 to 8 bucks per flat less over all from what Iv'e seen compared to Hevi-Shot, at least in the catalogs I have seen. It may be better in stores buying it per box. Not many people around here using it yet. bigbore, I'm with you on the choke selection. I never got great results with "opened up" chokes for steel. There were still some holes in the paper when patterened with #2s and larger of the steel/iron shot. I usually stay with IMP-MOD or at the very LEAST modified.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have tried hevi steel- its 3 times as expensive as some steel shot- I dont think it is any better

I have tried Black cloud- its 2/3 of heavy steel and I think it is superior to regular steel and hevi steel- its good to 35 yards or so in a 12 gauge load- further with large shot sizes

So bottom line- Maybe Black Cloud- I kind of like it

Save your money on hevi steel

There is no cheap alternative to bismuth or various tungsten blends though

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

I like the Hevi-steel for ducks. At $28 to $35 per 25 vs $28-$35 per 10 for hevi-shot. I save the hevi-shot for geese.

jh

8. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I once saw a goose. It was flying. Uncle Sam, Pa.

9. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

We use heavy steel 3.5" "b" with good luck on long range canadas. I like 3" heavy steel 2's for ducks and SODAK pheasants where non tox is required.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

If you hit them with the center of the pattern, anything works. Find the cheapest shell/choke combo that patterns well and shoot it at everything. Don't get too hung up on shot size - but stay with #3's or larger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.