1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody tried 1 1/8 oz with #9's on 16's?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tburrey, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

I don't believe this would be a good load in colder climates but what about warm climates? Just curious as to anyone's experience with this type of load. I know if your on them your on them and tight chokes make you a better shooter and stuff but I'm just curious. Tom

2. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

i shoot 9 form 16 17.5 clays 11/8 works great. Dont try it the wind.

3. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

I SHOOT 8 1/2 OR 9 ALL THE TIME FOR 16YD. HAVE A 97.14 AVG.

USE 17GR. OF RED DOT OR PROMO 1 1/8 SHOT

4. tburrey

tburrey Member

Appreciate everyone's comments. I believe I'll load up some and try them at the club next week. Last week I shot a 97 on 16's with one ounce of eights and I couldn't help but wonder if I might have picked up a target or two with nine's and a 1 1/8 oz load. Maybe not who knows. Tom

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I tried 7/8oz of #9 this year at CA State singles. The load crushes 'em out of my .030 Puregold choked 85TSS. Shot 97% and could not blame the loads for my misses. There are over 500 pellets in a 7/8oz load, and I can't imagine needing any more than that. Pushed it with 16.5 gr Nitro100. Really fun at the 16 yd line!

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

everyone will have a different opinion of this. I like 8s, 8 1/2s and 9s. I had 2 bags of 9s and was sceptical of loading them. Try 1 ounce of nines or 1 1/8., You can get a few more boxes of shells out of a bag shooting 1 ounce. Don

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

AA or STS, hull, 1 oz #9s, 18.3 gr Red Dot, Spolar gold wad, primer of your choice. Absolutely smokes birds at 16 yds and 1st shot in doubles.

8. kstwind

kstwind TS Member

I like it. Ran my first hundred straight with #9.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

1 oz or 7/8 oz with 8 1/2s or 9s. Get them going fast enough and you won't believe the breaks. 7/8 oz at 1250+ will do the trick for me. Recoil is tame and the loads will function an auto. I like 8s in colder weather and 7 1/2s for the longer yardages. I'll use 1 1/8 from the 22 back.

10. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I love shooting 1 1/8oz of 9's with full choke. It's so much fun watching the target disappear. It has had me hear lost a couple times as the score keeper didn't see a chip left flying in the air. The squad I was shooting on had all turned around at the same time and said that I had broke the bird. I don't think the score keeper was paying attention. Pretty funny. Todd

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thats all I ever shot for ATA ( 9's)

12. biff

biff Active Member

What are you trying to get? More pellets in a pattern, more shot in the air hoping to get a chip? I used to use the baby sized shot hoping it would expand the size of my pattern which it didn't and all it gave on some of the shots was dust which didn't count! Now I'm using the Manly Man sized shot,7 1/2, and pushing it to the legal limit for 1 1/8 oz loads.....of course I'm not recommending it for the competition which I think should all use 9's! Biff

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

9's play out very quickly after 25 yards and are best at 20 yards. The average shot from the 16 yard line is about 33 yards. 9's will break targets with a good choke and MULTIPLE hits but you would be better off with 8's. If you are stuck with 9's my advice would be shoot fast and don't let the target get any farther out than you have to.

14. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

How about a parfait load?

Say 1/2 oz of #9 3/8's oz of #8 and #7.5 all loaded up ready to shoot ... maybe mix in a few 8-1/2's as well.

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Mr. N. Remington tried that with 7.5's and 8's and didn't work. Dave T.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"I couldn't help but wonder if I might have picked up a target or two with nine's and a 1 1/8 oz load"

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

17. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

I loaded some 10's at one time and shot them from the 20 yard line...nothing but inkballs/dust. And lots of fun. They work great on first shot of doubles.

Phil

18. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Take a 1 1/8 oz load of hard #9's and head over to the pattern board with an Imp Mod or Light Full choke screwed into your gun. Ain't no way anything is going to make it through that pattern if you point the bird correctly. If you are a hacker and chipper, then stick to 8's. If you are normally close to the center of your targets and don't try to break them 45 yards out of the house, you won't notice a difference except maybe more smoke on your breaks. I went from 8's to 8 1/5 for a while years ago and pattern density was phenemonal with an Invector Plus Modified. I have shot some old factory AA #9 skeet loads on 16's and they absolutely disintegrate targets.

Jeff

19. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I like #9 for 16 yrd targets it just smokes them even in the winter.

20. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If you could raise your average from AA to AAA (go from 97 average to a 99 average) simply by changing to #9s, don't you think everyone would do it??

Are #9s effective is a different question. Yes they are and shooting them will not have a negative effect on your average. I cannot vouch for shooting light shot at trap targets in a heavy rain or under cold conditions (less than 40 degrees).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.