1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody shot untumbled reclaimed shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I have the opportunity to buy a few hundred pounds of untumbled reclaimed shot for $0.45 per pound. It has been cleaned and is completely free of dirt. What, if any difference will be experienced by untumbled shot with no graphite? I can get the tumbled and graphited shot for $0.60 per pound. Is it worth the extra money? Otherwise, the shot looks great with no foreign debris and not too much deformation.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Dan, it needs to be graphited to prevent shot bridging inside of your reloader. Otherwise you may have problems dropping shot during the reloading process, more so with larger shot sizes. Bob

3. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Get a sample before you buy. Weigh the shot after you have dropped it from your reloader. Reclaimed shot that originally had oxidation on the outside is very light compared to regular shot.

I purchased some that was had the oxidation on it and it was extremely light. My PW 1 oz bushing threw 3/4 oz and my 1 1/8 oz threw 7/8 oz.

Just a heads up.

Michael Stephenson

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I wouldn't bother with the untumbled, ungraphited stuff. It's worth having it done before you purchase it, or doing it yourself if you have the facilities. Untumbled and ungraphited, it may flow poorly through your loader or even stop flowing. You might also notice a "trail" of dust when you fire a load. That dust is what concerns me. It is most likely a lead compound and when it's airborne by firing or handling, it's a potential hazard.

5. brownk80

brownk80 Member

get a screen that will take out anything bigger than a #6 and it should be ok, but if it is $.45/lbs to buy and $.60/lbs to graphite = $1.05/lbs = $26.25/25 lbs. You can buy new shot for pretty close to the same price and not have to do anything but load it and shoot it.

Brownk80

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Graphite is a lubricant. The lubricant makes the shot easier to size at the factory. Shot without graphite should flow through the reloader drop tube fine. If you look at lose shot and the size of the drop tube, it appears to be impossible to form a block with unlubricated shot. I used home made shot without graphite for many years.

Tumbling is another step in cleaning shot. It could get rid of some lead dust. You could tumble and graphite the shot yourself. Partially fill a two liter soft drink bottle with shot and shake it. Then put in a very small amount of graphite and shake some more. Use care when dealing with lead dust. Do not do this in the kitchen.

A full two liter drink bottle will hold 25 pounds of shot when filled to the neck. They are very good for storing shot.

Pat Ireland

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes and I did have many instances of the shot hanging up in the drop tube. I use a 366 pacific which is normally pretty reliable. The ID of the drop tube looks like it would pass a Mack truck but somehow the bridging happens anyway. Getting a light shot charge isn't so bad because you can just cull that shell out but the next drop will leave a mess on the loader which is a big PIA. Also it is common to find pellets that are lumped together, sometimes 3 or four which can't be good for patterns.

Pay the extra bucks for the graphited stuff or get yourself a vibratory case cleaner and graphite the stuff yourself. If you do end up using a vibratory case cleaner, keep your batches fairly small like under 10 pounds as this high density material really puts a load on the motor.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat Ireland

I've seen plain, ungraphited reclaimed shot bridge in several loaders. It usually does not happen with really clean and "polished" shot, but if it is like some of the stuff I've seen around lately, it's very rough and does not flow well. There is a difference between "Home Made" and "Reclaimed" shot.

The point is if you think it's worth the extra 15 cents per pound to have it tumbled and cleaned. I would pay the extra, if it were me. If I were to tumble and lube it myself, I'd be taking precautions with the lead compounds that would be produced in the process.

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

What what is worth............I make my own shot for leaque and club shoots, and in the beginning, I bought the small tubes of powdered graphite used to lubricate door locks and used to squeeze it into my homemade shot, which I had in a 5 gallon bucket. I then shook it up and my shot came out nicely coated and went through my reloader without any problems. After a while, I quit the process and my shot still does not hang up in my reloader, but I take great pains to produce the best rounded shot I can under crude conditions inside a garage. If you want to try the powdered graphite, you might want remember, this stuff will get all over everything, as a little goes a long way. The reason I put around 25 pounds in a 5 gallon bucket at a time, was I found just a couple of shots of the graphite deep down inside a bucket would contain the powder pretty well. I would put a lid on the bucket and shake the bucket best I could.

10. new loader

new loader Member

I have used unpolished shot and it will eventually get stuck in the drop tube and then make a big mess on the next drop. I mix new shot and unpolished shot 50/50 before pouring into the shot bottle and now no more problems. The new stuff gives it just enough "slip" to drop completely.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

12. virg

virg Member

I bought a couple of cheap cement mixers that had never been used for cement, [new clean inside,] put about 200-300 lbs. inside, put in a tablespoon of farm corn planter graphit and tumble for about 1 - 1/2 hour, works good. done over 30,000 lbs. that way. People love my homemade shot, cannot keep it in supply. Virg

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My partner and I bought a 55 gal drum of it.

We washed it off in a new cement mixer, let it dry, then threw in some graphite again in the mixer.

Best darn 16 yard stuff around. I have even reload3ed with it ungraphited and found no problems in the P/W.

Unfortunately, we sold the balance of the drum when lead was getting high.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.