1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody shooting a KX-5 with a Wenig stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SeldomShoots, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I have been considering a Wenig New American trap stock for my KX-5. If anyone has a Wenig on his or her KX-5, I would like your opinions as to whether you feel there is less felt recoil based on the design or fit of the Wenig stock.

I really like my KX-5, but felt recoil is an issue and I am not too fond of the idea of cutting the stock to add a gracoil or bumpbuster, (even though they are fine products). I am shooting 1200 fps 1 ounce and 1 and 1/8 ounce loads using PB and 7625, respectively. Even with slower burning powders, I feel it in my shoulders and neck a day or two later, after 50 to 100 rounds. Heck, maybe its just a problem of getting older. I suppose I could slow the loads down, lighten the load, trade guns, or so on, but I would thought I would consider a Wenig.

Any testimonials or thoughts would be appreciated. While a DeVault stock is probably out of my price range, if anyone has a DeVault stock on a KX-5 I would be interested to hear your opinions if the stock minimized the felt recoil.

Thanks, John

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hi John,

I had one of the first KX-5s (bought it in May of 2002) and had a Gacoil LOP unit installed before I ever shot it so I could play around with the stock length. I need 5/16" of offset and Krieghoff's comb hardware allows 1/4", so I eventually went to a Wenig New American. I had a fitting and picked the wood at the 2005 Grand American.

Believe it or not, the gun shot softer with the Wenig stock than the factory stock with a Gracoil! Amazing what fit will do! It looked better, too.

Here's a photo of the original and Wenig wood.

averaged_2008_030315.jpg

As you can see, Wenig's made the pistol grip longer as I had my little finger under the grip on the factory stock. I also had them put finger grooves in the forend like a K-80 has - it was a lot more comfortable that way than the round KS/KX-5 forend.

KS/KX-5s are funny when it comes to recoil. Between our son and I, we had three KS-5s and the one KX-5 and neither of us ever thought any of them kicked hard. But a lot of people do.

Ed

3. SeldomShoots

Thats a great looking unit Ed.

I got my KX in 2007, but a shoulder injury in 2009 has made the recoil more noticeable. I like the look of how the Wenig drops lower at the toe and has more of a "Harlan" style look to it. I don't need that much comb height or offset, but for the gun to shoot the way I like and perform best, I find myself holding the butt stock of the gun higher on my shoulder pocket where the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of the butt pad is in the pocket. I am sure I am taking more psi on my shoulder as a result. A stock with more "meat" lower from the comb to cradle more of the butt pad it in my shoulder pocket would help. Having those extra ounces of wood on the back end should help also.

Do you think there is any advantage of going with laminate over american walnut when it comes to weight or less felt recoil?

Thanks, John

4. AveragEd

I don't think there would be any difference in felt recoil between the two woods unless one was a lot lighter than the other. Mine was English Walnut.

I do like laminated stocks on rifles, though. They look nice without having the moisture absorption tendency and resultant warpage of regular wood but that usually isn't an issue on a shotgun.

It does sound like your stock doesn't fit you. An adjustable recoil pad adapter might help, as it would permit the pad to be lower than the wood like I had my Gracoil set.

Ed

5. SeldomShoots

Ed,

I thought of a pad adjuster, but I shoot #6 Kick-eez on it because I am about a 14 and 1/4" to 14 and 3/8" max LOP shooter. Plus I have a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. I think the open area of the stock plate will allow the recoil reducer to move back aginst the adjustable plate, and I can't add another solid filler in front of the stock plate without really screwing up my length of pull. I am not sure that would be good for the pad adjuster. However, I could try it for a short period of time and see if I could get the correct fit and then shape/fit a stock according to that dimension.

I wasn't sure what type of walnut you had. I like the darker finish on it. I would cut my wood if it looked like a lot of standard grade KX-5 wood, but it is somewhat dark with lots of figure and contrast. Its the nicest standard wood I have seen on KX-5. I think I would be better to keep the original wood unmolested and go with Wenig, even if it is their standard wood. However, I think they run sales on their wood at big shoots.

Thanks, John

6. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I have a KX with an American Wenig stock also. I have the green Laminate. I think th e laminate helps a liitle on the recoil as it is heavier. My gun with the laminate wood weighs 91/2 lbs. I dont seem to have a lot of felt recoil. I have had two of the KX's over the years. I got one of the first ones that came into the country few years back, from Guns Unlimited, and I shot it with the factory wood and really didnt seem to recall any difference. It really does help though if you have someone fit you properly. It really is a fine gun so I hope that you can solve your recoil problem. Good luck alex Kotter superior wisconsin

7. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I just bought my first K gun and it is the KX-5 it was a estate being liquidated. I have had two very soft shooting guns in my life this KX-5 and a Beretta 682.
    You do not mention whether or not you have a adj. comb and butt? Mine does and I think these help over all more than a fixed stock even though I am not a guy who likes too tinker and tweak things but it does open up flexibility and most likely less cost of a custom stock??
    Jim Z

8. AveragEd

John, you gotta use some imagination! I've held things in place inside gunstocks all kinds of ways, including wadded up paper towel for a temporary trial run. One of my favorites is a piece of wood dowel cut to the length needed and inserted between the item and the plate or pad. A wood screw run into the floor of the opening holding the item from sliding works, too, as shown in this shot of my son's Beretta stock (left) and my Wenig stock.
    averaged_2008_030316.jpg

You can't see in that photo, but there is a reducer in the Wenig stock's hole to add some back-end weight. To hold it in place tightly, I wrapped it with the blue underlayment used under hardwood floors and shoved it in.

I agree with not butchering decent factory wood if you might be replacing it but Krieghoff charges so much for new wood that I was able to sell mine on here quite easily - in fact, different people purchased the Gracoil unit, the forend and the stock!

Ed

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I agree on not cutting original wood. If you take it off, and sell it you will recover a pretty good amount of the cost to replace it. Especially, if it is of upper grade looking wood. If you cut it and add the mechanical devices you would lose alot more, because you are eliminating more than half of the market, due to the fact that most people do not need, or like the look and function of those devices. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kx 5 stock