1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody shooting 7/8 oz loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

I'm loading STS hulls with 16.5 grains of 700X with winchester primers and Clay Buster wads.I haven't shot any of them until heart doctor tells me I can shoot again.I'm wondering if the felt recoil will be substantialy lighter than the Winchester Super Target 2-3/4 grain 1-1/8 oz I was shooting before heart surgery?

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

To me it is a very mild shooting load. One of my friends also shoots a 686 SP and uses that load due to a problem shoulder. At one point he loaded 15.5 gr. and had some off sounding loads that still broke the birds though. Jackie B.

3. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I shoot 7/8, STS or AA, Nitro 100 at 1200 fps, Win 209 and Clear Dusters. The difference between that and 1 1/8 is like night and day. Recoil is very much reduced and they break the targets just fine.

Dan

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

IMR doesn't list a 7/8 oz load for 700x, but they do for 1 oz. (see link above) Sending less shot down the barrel creates less pressure, so you should be OK. I have found that using 7/8 oz rather than 1 oz usually adds about 50 fps using the same amount of powder. I load 7/8 oz of shot with 17.5 gr of Red Dot and gray Clay Buster (CB-0178-12) wads in Remington hulls, at around 1250 fps. Light loads seem to perform better with a little velocity. I use these for 16 yard trap, 5 stand, and skeet. They have enough poop to cycle semi-autos, but are light enough that they don't beat me up at all. If you are shooting an O/U, you could back off on the powder a bit and still break targets. Mark

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah! Enjoy!

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The recoil will be substantially lower.

These shells will still break targets just fine.

Note, all of the international trap and skeet disciplines shoot 24 gram loads, which are just a smidge less shot than 7/8 ounces.

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Yep - pretty much all I reload. 17 gr Clay Dot, clay buster wad, fiocci primer, remington hull.

Much less recoil - but I do think you need to be on target better. Basically you're shooting a 20 gage.

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am using the same load as you and when I miss, I miss, not the load. I am using 8 1/2 shot though. I use it for 16 yards as well as skeet.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use 7/8 oz shells for skeet,trap, and sporting. I like 7/8oz for 1st shot in doubles and singles. I run mine out to 1200fps using Promo or Titewad.

ss

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Charger,

There will be a significant reduction in recoil. Google "Recoil Reduction Calcualtor" or follow links posted.

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Shotgun_Recoil_Calculator.htm

Don Verna

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I cobbled that load for skeet birds many years ago. I found by accident that with a halacious number of #9s, that load would kill the first shot of doubles, produce 100s at singles, and even a lot of birds as far back as 24 yards. I've given them to beginners who broke birds, few, at the 27 yard line when just experiencing the difference yardage makes. I currently load with Clays, keep the printed velocity up to around 1220 fps for a reliable burn, and shoot skeet, singles, and more 5 stand and sporting birds with it than heavier shells (1 oz). I've declared myself "inactive" in trap for medical issues but still use those weenies in the fun shooting I dabble in......breakemall

12. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I like to shoot the 7/8 oz load, at around 1200 fps. Been using #8, and when that is used up, I will switch to #8.5 at 1200 fps, lots of pellets with enough energy to break birds.

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The recoil reduction is evident. That you can break the same scores with less shot does not stand to logic. If it were so, one could fire only one pellet and not suffer a drop in score.

Buz

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Buz, the claim is made based on MORE pellets, just smaller size. I never claimed it breaks more targets but I will say that, up close, 544 #9s or 420 #8 1/2s does a stellar job on birds, certainly as good as 388 #7 1/2s, in 1 1/8 oz. The benefit that "may" improve scores for the average fellow is the reduced recoil making shooting a bit easier to deal with. Then there's always, "If you're confident in your shells, you'll likely shoot better scores." We all know what results if there is no confidence.......breakemall

15. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

For the last 6 months I have been experimenting with 7/8 oz loads with varied success. Started with AAhs hull,Fio 616 primer, 17gr Red Dot AA12SL wad and 7/8 oz of hard #8s. Crimps were too deep and produced shot leakage. This load made some off sounding loads and was dirty. Recoil felt extremely light. Moved up to 18gr RD, crimp was better and a little cleaner. The breaks seemed a little better.Recoil seemed to be the same. Moved up to 18.5 gr RD. Crimps are perfect, Chrono says 1276fps over a 10 shot average from 32" barrel Perazzi full. Breaks are good, recoil is still soft. Tried #8.5s, was not as good as the #8s. Next tried #7,5s. What a difference. When I do my part, I get as many ink balls on first shot doubles and 16s as I do with 1oz or 1 1/8 loads. Although a little light, I have even managed a few good scores from the 27. For me, the #7.5 were the ticket. I figure that the distance that I break first shot doubles and 16s, the pattern size and density need not to have more shot and I really like the big reduction in precieved recoil. Bill Hom

16. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

I was using 17.5-18.2 grs of Promo in a 7/8 oz load. Recoil was slim to non. Using a TGT 1 oz. wad with a Fiocchi or a Federal Primer was a pleasure to shoot. I found using a 1 oz. load with the same recipe was no different in recoil than a 7/8 load and you had another 1/8 oz of lead to throw.

Terry

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You will definately notice the reduction in recoil and your shoulder will apperiate it. Don't let your mind trick you into thinking you have a weakling of a load - essentially you are shooting a 20 gauge equivelent load and it will break targets just fine if the gun is pointed in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.