1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody shoot a Perazzi MX-2005

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Would like to hear comments on this gun from all who has shot one.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I shot one, it was not for me---comments don't mean a thing---any gun has to fit you & work for you.

Unless your body conforms to the stock & rib of a 2005, the gun won't work for you. Proof is in the shooting. Try before you buy. Can be a very expensive mistake.

Phil Berkowitz
  3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I haven't shot one but I would agree with Phil. I shoot a Guerini combo with a high rib. I like it and shot Kolar K-gun and Blaser. All good guns. But fit is the key to a high rib gun. I would love to shoot a MX-2005. I knoq I would like it. John
  4. doberman37

doberman37 Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I bought one and am doing good in singles and caps but doing realy bad in doubles. Never was a good doubles shooter. Got some more things to try for doubles this summer. Realy like the way the gun lookes and feels when I shoulder it. I think it will come around this summer. Right now it's eleven above zero so I will wait for a while.
  5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The MX2005 is a one gun show.. You must stay with it.. and only it.. It's easy to shoot.. but you are really disassociated with the barrel.. For me.. That's not a good thing.. The high rib is not for everyone... same as the DB-81.. I will say.. my "short rib" add on seemed to work for me better than the full length MX2005 rib.. There might be something to the new 2005 short rib version.. For doubles I need to be closer to the barrel.. and nothing does as well for me as the old MX8 step rib.. Everyone is different.. Try one and you'll quickly see..

Now.. not that I'm a coach.. or anything close to one..but EVERY coach I've ever had told me NEVER change guns in a slump.. So.. if you're shooting doubles poorly..get that fixed before you start changing the big picture.. AND.. unless you have a 90+ average in singles.. don't even consider doubles..
  6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Absolutely agree with Mike on that. I shot one last fall with a grip stock. Loved the stock immediately, it will absolutely force you into repeating a perfect mount every time. As for the gun, you are completely separated from the barrel and I had a massive problem with overshooting the target. That's the downside. On the plus, you are forced to focus on the target and point the gun. A big plus for bunker shooters, but I think it would be a negative for spot shooting in doubles. HOWEVER, notice how many double shooters use a high rib? I'm betting because your head is more upright and there is a better field of vision. Also, I've heard that some will eyeball below the barrels to pick up the target sooner. Your mileage may vary, but for me I know it would take a year of dedication to get used to it.

Hal Hitchcock
  7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Tiburon, CA
    I have an MX2005 and like it a lot. It's a question of whether a high rib suits your shooting style. For me it does, and it does so very much. The benefit I get from a high rib is that it tends to keep my head more upright. Switching to a high rib made a very significant improvement in my scores.

I'd suggest you try one before buying. For me, the benefit was immediately apparent. If you find the gun hard to get used to, you may want to ask yourself why you want to bother.

FWIW, I also have and shoot a Kolar Max T/A, which also has a very high rib. Again, the high rib suits me and I get great scores with it. Of course the two guns are of different weight and swing characteristics, but from the point of view that you get from a high rib, they are similar. All this means is that high ribs work for me. Your mileage may vary, and a good fitting stock, as always, is essential.

Bottom line, it's worth a try. You may find a real benefit, but if you don't see it fairly soon, it's probably not worth pursuing - there's nothing magical about a high rib that takes years to bring out.

Ted K.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Apr 28, 2006
    NW Wisconsin
    Isn't that what Devon Harris used to win the 100 grand?
  9. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

May 18, 2007
    I have a 2005 perazzi that was given to me a few months back and Mine has a 29 1/2" bbl and I shoot it rather well but the down side is the Factory adj comb sucks. so I have made a rollover and it fits me a lot better. but I am sticking to the MX10RS. so I guess that the 2005 will set in the closet for a while. Bob R
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi mx2005