1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody seen a silver ATA membership card?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vatrap, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

It looks like a sterling silver ATA membership card from 1922 and a high singles award for the 1921 Balboa, Canal Zone.

Both were for a gentleman named A.C. Carlington the high singles award has 1891x2000=94.55. They are about the same size as a membership card and the standard wording (presented by the Amateur Trapshooting Association etc.) is outline engraved, and it's getting a little hard to read and the name and state are deep engraved or stamped.

Anybody ever seen one of these?

Thanks, Mike

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

No. Are they for sale?

3. vatrap

vatrap Member

I had not planned on selling them, I offered them to Kenny Ray for the ATA Hall of Fame if they have any historical significance.

Mike

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- They do have some historical significance and I am sure Kenny Ray will be excited to add them to the ATA Hall of Fame. I also believe that the inquiry made by pheasant marksman (M.W.) was made with the goal of getting them into the Hall of Fame.

Thank you Mike

Pat Ireland

5. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

MIKE GREAT FIND MORE HISTORY SAVED

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Mike, Pat is correct in that I was asking strictly for the benefit of the ATA museum. Please stay in contact with either Kenny or myself if consideration is given to selling.

Martin Wilbur

7. vatrap

vatrap Member

No worries, I emailed Kenny last night and got a response this morning.

He has never seen one either. I don't have any intention of selling them, if the HoF wants them, I'll happily donate them.

I was thinking about using them to entice Kenny into joining us at the VA state shoot again this year, but that would just be a side benefit.

I started this thread, because I have never seen or heard of one before, and I hoped somebody on ts.com could give me a little history about them and maybe how you earned or were awarded one.

I surmised the one with the singles average was for high singles average for the state or zone as this one was for the Canal Zone, I can't tell what the other one is for as it looks like a membership card.

Mike

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Mike, do you have any pics? I'd like to see what they are as to my knowledge I have never seen such...

9. vatrap

vatrap Member

I tried to take a picture, but as they are sterling silver it just looks like a silver business card size rectangle. I can't get any pictures show the engraving.

Mike

10. vatrap

vatrap Member

This gets even more interesting with a better magnifying glass.

The card from 1922 is from The American Trapshooting Association and the 1923 card is from the Amateur Trapshooting Association.

With a little further study it looks like both of them are high singles average awards for the Canal Zone. The one from 1922 actually has the average engraved into the card while the 1923 card has "Winner of the High Average"

I'm sending them to Tami Daniel at the Hall of Fame this week and asked Kenny to let me know what he finds out about them and the shooter they were awarded to.

Mike

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- Nice stuff. Last year of the American Trapshooting Association and first year of the Armature Trapshooting Association.

I will have to miss the H of F this weekend but will see you at the state shoot. Let me know if I can help.

Pat Ireland

12. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

First may I thank Mike publicly for considering the Trapshooting Hall of Fame Museum as a home for the membership and High Average award of Mr. Albert C. Garlinton.

Our preliminary research shows that Mr. A. C. Garlington was born in Newberry, S.C. on November 29, 1890. It appears that at the age of about 21, he ventured by ship to the Canal Zone where he worked as an electrician. I have not identified the company he worked for but perhaps when I locate his obituary many more details will be available.

Albert was a member of the American Trapshooting Association (representives of manufactures) in 1921 & 22 when Elmer D. Shaner was President and Stoney McLinn was Secretary-manager. Elmer Shaner had managed all the major tournaments (including the GAH) for the Interstate Manufacturers Association since about 1892. The organization changed its name in 23 but the Amateur Committee which had been involved in decision making since November 1919, was actually legally entitled to representation on the General Committee at the annual meeting of Drectors held in November 1921.

In 1921, Mr. Garlington won the Singles Championship of the Canal Zone. In 22' he was the Singles Hi Average Winner, Doubles Champion and Doubles High Average Winner.

I believe the ATA established trophies for Yearly General Averages of Amateurs and Professionals that were computed on 1000 or more singles targets shot from the standard distance of 16 yards. This would have been about 1921. Trophies were awarded to amateurs credited with the High General Average on registered targets in the district constituting each State Association, each Canadian Provincial Association and the Canal Zone Association. It appears that the trophies were silver High Average Cards.

Albert Garlington married and he and wife Mary had two daughters and a son, all American Citizens born in the Canal Zone. The son was named Albert C. Jr. and we will try to locate him for additional information.

I believe Mr. Garlington came back to his hometown in Newberry County, S.C. in the 1960. I found his name in the Social Security Death Index as he passed away in 1981. Tami will be doing a little more research on Mr. Garlington when time permits. This might make a good story.

Kenny Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.