1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody remember this guy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiv-c, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Old but interesting read about Elgin Gates. 1008 consecutive hits - in International trap, no less!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1092676/index.htm

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This will make it a little easier to use.

ss

3. Butler

Butler TS Member

Used to shoot an 1100, owned Gates tire and rubber company I believe, spent the summers someplace In Montana if I remember correctly. I think he was an awfully good doubles shooter for the times. Butler

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Barely remember him as he was going out as I was coming in. Yes he did shoot an 1100.

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Google him. Elgin was an African trophy hunter and prominent (vs. famous) trapshooter. He had the first .9700 ATA annual doubles average, with his 1100, and was known to withdraw from a shoot if the conditions were less than perfect.

I believe he was in the outboard motor business and sold out to Mercury.

He moved on from trapshooting to compete in silhouette shooting.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Founder of IHMSA I think.

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

He shot his 1100 at the US team bunker tryouts at Chardon, Ohio back in '74-'75. That was when we shot on the wobble traps at the Winchester Shooting Center. Ron Renouf

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

that's a name of the past. first time i remember seeing his name was in the 70's as he had a shooting column in the "american shotgunner magazine" boy i miss that magazine.
    steve balistreri

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ironically, a friend of mine eclipsed many of Elgin Gates' records in silhouette about 15 years ago. Don't know whose records stand now. Also, ironically, that friend of mine has not a clue how to shoot a shotgun!!

Specialized sports...that friend is an amazing rifle/pistol shooter in his chosen disciplines. If he were motivated re. shotgunning, he'd likely be awesome. His problem is that he will only listen and work with the very best to learn..not a mere friend telling him how a shotgun theoretically "works" in practice.

10. Hauser

Hauser Member

1) He wasn't the grand daddy of the 357 magnum.

2) He didn't win the Clay Target Championship.

3) He did withdraw from shoots if the weather was bad and on at least on one occasion talked a club into not sending in his score when he shot a bad doubles score.

Jerry Hauser

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hell yes!! Started the IHMSA developed the series of IHMSA cartridges. I used to shoot an IHMSA 7mm back in the early 80's.

12. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Don't know about #1 and #3, Jerry, but according to the Trapshooting Hall of Fame web page he was Int'l Clay Target Championship High civilian in 1971 and overall champ in '72 and '76.

http://www.traphof.org/past_champions/international-clay-target.htm

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

14. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

He designed the .375 super mag and talked Dan Wesson and Seville into chambering guns for it.

15. GR8Guns

GR8Guns TS Member

Yes, I remeber Elgin Gates very well.

SportShot knows his history rather well regarding Elgin and his son Randy.

Randy was a member of the Army's USAMU International Shotgun Trap Team at Benning along with Carlise and Chubb.

Randy (Elgin's son) and I were stationed in the Army together at Ft. Benning during the 70s and 80s and again while in Germany during the late 80s.

For the record, Elgin was the only shooter to break three 100 straights in the International Clay Target Championship at Vandalia. He won the title twice and finished second once.

Elgin accomplished a lot in a life time from Guns, Trapshooting, Hunting, Silhouette Shooting, Boat Racing and Author. He ws regarded by many as a true "Renaissance man."

In 1971, Gates tied for the International with 100x100 but lost in a shootoff to Doug Elson. Gates broke his first 200 straight in singles and won the Class AA title in the ATA Singles Class Championships, his first major title at the Grand American. He also broke another 200 in the shootoff, now having run 400 straight plus the 100 from the International several days earlier. Among those he defeated in the shootoff for the title were the great Dan Orlich, Bueford Bailey and Phil Wright.

Elgin broke yet another 200 straight to tie for the Clay Target Championship. He had a long run in singles now at 600 straight. Again he was involved in another long 200 target shootoff, breaking 198x200 before eventually losing out to Richard Smith.

Gates was the talk of the 1971 Grand American, having won the High Civilian award in the International Clay Target Championship with 100 straight, the Class AA title in the Singles Class Championships with 200 straight plus 200 straight shootoff targets and finishing runner-up in the Clay Target Championship with another 200 straight. He was at the top of his game.

In 1972 Gates won both the Preliminary and International Championship

Elgin won both the Preliminary International Clay Pigeon title and than broke 100 straight for the second straight year to win the International Clay Pigeon Championship after a perfect one round shoot-off with four other shooters, including former ATA president Phil Wright. He broke all 25 overtime targets. ATA Hall of Famer and fellow Texan Larry Gravestock also shot a 100x100 but passed up on the shoot-off.

In 1976, Gates won his second and final International in 1976 with 100x100. That was his third 100 straight in the event, the only shooter to run three perfect scores.

He along with Leo Harrison were the only multiple winner of the International.

Elgin never shot much after that, he turned much of attention to the rising popularity of Silhouette shooting.

The International Clay Target Championship was held the first time in 1967 and by 1981 was no longer part of the program.

Gates became a world class Silhouette pistol shooter. He wrote a book "Metallic Silhouette Shooting" in 1979 and is credited with being the "founding father" of the handgun silhouette game.

Gates was also a world renown big game hunter and champion racing boat driver long before his trapshooting days at Vandalia.

Gates also wrote several books on big game hunting, "Trophy Hunter in Africa" and "Trophy Hunter in Asia".

He was also a (and the youngest at the time) winner of the Weatherby Big Game Award. He is credited with the 7th best Elephant of all time. He also had one of the finest trophy rooms in the America (if not the world).

Elgin died in 1988, his trophy room was destroyed by fire before he died. Some of his trophies do remain in various museums.

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

What ever happened to the IHMSA ranges that were or in the process of being built to be owned by the organization in Idaho, Tennessee or any other place for National Championships? Used to read about their progress in "The Silhouette" each month.

DoubleAuto

17. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Jerry - It's funny how people remember the wins and always seem to forget the bad of a big name. Check with someone from the EC around 1980. Almost reminds me of a great cook I once knew. Jimmy Borum

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The Silhouette!! I kept the ones with my picture in them!! lol

1979-1983 those were fun shoots... bang, clang, gottem..

shooting at Niles, Durand, Hastings, Alma, Looking Glass River, Claire and Lapeer.. Michigan

Jim

19. copper

copper Member

I have and old book on trap and skeet shooting that he is in giving instuction and his history in trap shooting, he guided ducks when he was young . Interesting guy. Dave

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jimmy Borum, That's one of the best or funniest lines of this thread. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
elgin gates

elgin gates death

elgin gates shooter
elgin gates trap shooter
elgin gates trapshooter usa

elgin gates trophy room