1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Reload Estate Hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KenC, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenC

KenC Member

If so, how close, dimension wise, are they to STS or Nitro 27?

What are your recipes?

Thanks,

Ken

2. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ken:I have reloaded thousands of them.I use Win. 209`s- 19.1 grains of Clays-11/8 oz Rem mag 71/2`s- and either 12S3 DRF3 or CB2118-12 wads....KS-OKIE.

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I load Estates with federal gold medal recipe. Straight wall hull so use a wad designed for straight wall hull as opposed to aa or sts for best results.

Regards

W&W

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I load the 28 gauge ones - treat like Federal shells (after all, they are).

5. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Also have loaded plenty of Estates. I only load them ONCE ; then give them a heave.

However -- if you use a straight-wall type wad, your other component recipes should work quite well in the Estate hull.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've loaded thousands w/o any problems and refer to the manufacturer's spec's for powder, etc.

My Recipes:

1 oz: Fed. 209A primer and 12S0 wad, 17 grs. of 700X (1200 fps) Singles and both shots of doubles.

1-1/8 oz: Fed 209A primer and 12S3 wad, 19.5 grs. of 700X (1250 fps) Long yardage 'caps.

Curt

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Typical, cheap rolled paper base wad, so make sure they are still in the hull and DRY! I will not pick them up unless I know they were just shot! Use Fed data.

AndyH ;-)

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Estate hulls are Reifenhauser type hulls (straight walled) and require a wad designed for this type of hull. Federal and Gualandi wads are designed for reifenhauser hulls. Remington and Winchester hulls should not be used as there will be inferior sealing characteristics resulting in powder migration and poor sealing during firing.

The Estate hull has a thinner case wall than a Federal Gold Medal so the proper wad is even more critical.

The Gualandi wads work very well in the Estate hulls. The Super G H22 works in the Estate for a 1 ounce load with Clays powder. Just use the data for the Federal Gold Medal hull.

Jim Skeel

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

You know the general consensus is you have to use a different wad when loading "straight walled" hulls vs "tapered walled" hulls. Well I load mostly STS or Gun Club hulls. However, I wanted to experiment, so I obtained a number of Top Gun hulls. ( "straight wall") I used the same formula that I use with the Remington hulls. 1 oz shot, DRRT12 wad, (similiar to the Target 12) , 17 grains of Promo and a Fiocchi primer. I have loaded these hulls 5 times each and can find no difference in performance. Ed

10. gold40

gold40 Member

I reloaded a bunch of orange NOBEL hulls. They were only good for 2 or 3 reloads. After that, it the crimp was inconsistent. They were free hulls; but I went back to W-W and REM.

gold40

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

This has been covered in depth many times before.

18.2 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Federal 12S0 wad or Claybuster clone, Federal 209A primer or Rio 600, 1oz of decent shot gives about 1200 fps over my chronograph. 18.7 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Federal 12S3 wad, Claybuster or Downrange clone, Federal 209A or Rio primer, 1 1/8 oz of decent shot gives around 1200 fps over my Chrono. These loads have been tested at fairly cold temps and have given good results. The Downrange clone of the 12S3 works pretty well. All pattern testing was decent for all of these loads. The Federal wads seemed to be marginally better, but the 12S3 and the Downrange DRF8 seemed about equal. Testing was done at different times, so the results were within a reasonable margin of error, considering only ten samples were fired of each load. I don't have pressure data for these loads, but data for higher velocity loads using the same components and powders were well within limits, so I'd expect these to be under 9500 psi.

I load the Federal Primer on the first loading and then the Rio for the second, since it is oversized. It will help seal the case better, since the paper base wad seems to allow a little gas leakage after the first loading on many of them. I toss them after the first or second loading.

I have had issues with some wads designed for tapered hulls like the Remington or Winchester. I settled on the Federal type wads since they worked rather well. They are designed for a straight wall hull. If you want to avoid a lot of experimentation and possibly poor results, the loads I listed above will work well. I have also used Clays powder and several others with decent success. I settled on Red Dot and Promo, since I have/use a lot of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cb1138 12 wads for straight walled
loading stright wall 12 gauge hulls
reload estate hulls
reloading estate 28 gauge

reloading estate hulls

reloading winchester estate hulls
what wad to use to reload estate 12 gauge shells
what wads for estate hulls