1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Pattern DRHF8 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1100 REMINGTON MAN, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

Was woundering what kind of performance people were getting with this wad looks like it would make a nice 16yd Wad.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No difference between it and the 4 petal version, nor is there supposed to be according to the people at Downrange. Five each F-8 and HF-8 shot at 4' square paper from 30 yards...not very scientific, small sample, but visually nothing to choose between them. It's a response to requests from shooters who want to believe that there is a difference. The 8 petals are a lot better behaved in the press than those on other brands of 8-petal wads, though.

Keller

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I once did extensive patterning of my standard handicap load using different wads. Specifically, I wanted to see if the claims for the Spolar Wad were true. Wads tested were the Rem Fi-8, Windjammer, Spolar and DRm Windjammer clone.

Load was STS hull, W209 primer, 19gr Green Dot, the wad and 1 1/8oz WCM shot. Even with 20 pattern tests of each, results were within 2%. As far as I'm concerned, that's meaningless. BTW, the Spolar claims for increased velocity were bogus.

For my handicap load, using a Fig-8 or one of the Windjammer clones resulted in essentially, equivalency. So I'd bet that using a DRM Fig-8 clone with the 8-petal Windjammer wad style petals will result in equivalency. At worst, I'd say the 8-petal design would be up to 2% more open than the 4-petal wad.

4. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

No difference between the 4 and 8 petal on the patterning board. Petals stay open and in better shape on the 4 petal better then the 8 out of the bag. Tried 5000 of the 8 wasn't worth the hassle. Like the windjammers just not as bad. Went back to the 4 petal. Jmo

5. creek

creek Member

I have gone through 1/2 a case and I didn't see any difference in the 8 petal vs. 4. I too will be going back to 4 petal after 5 more bags are used up.

CREEK

6. morepowder

morepowder TS Member

So how do they compare to the Fed s3 or claybuster clone?

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Hard to say... one wad is for tapered wall hulls and the other is for straight walled hulls...they aren't both used in the same type of hull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.