1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

anybody own a Winchester Model 100 rifle?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jetson, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetson

Jetson TS Member

I have a chance to buy a Winchester 100 in .308. Good shape, good price. However I'm hearing that they are not a very dependable rifle. Any comments?

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

very dependable as long as internal are kept clean and not overly lubed

3. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have worked on several. Acion bar tends to break, parts are almost impossible to get. They have not been made for quite some time. Better get a good deal and make sure it is working properly prior to buying it.
    Bob

4. Jetson

Jetson TS Member

Given what the potential problems could be, what's the most I should pay for a rifle like this? It is post '64 and the condition is about what you would expect for a rifle this age. If you could buy it for $250 without a scope, what do you think?

5. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I would think it would be a good buy @ $250. I hunted with one in 243 for years without any problems. My cousin still has one, no problems with his either.

6. nogunracks

nogunracks TS Member

i had a winchester model 100 in 308 it eas the worst piece of cr-p i ever had it would not hit a pie plate at 50 yards. when i finially did get a shot at a deer it jammed the bolt slipped off the fired shell and tried to feed a fresh one in the chamber got rid of it that day.

7. plumbcrazyjr

plumbcrazyjr TS Member

I have owned several of them and they are a good shooting deer gun. Not a benchrest gun but not meant to be. Try to get an extra clip if he has one as the originals are expensive
    Eric

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Make sure it has the firing pin up-date. If it hasn't, it is a no-charge
    modification.

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

There was also a recall do to a firing pin defect that when the firing pin broke the gun would slam fire full auto.

AND all of the negitives posted I have seen many times.

Al Lingham

10. gnprts

gnprts Member

You may want to check this out....
    Winchester Model 100 Recall number at 1-800-852-5734
    go to this site for more information...

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/winchesterl_88_100.htm

11. Jetson

Jetson TS Member

12. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

It's not a great gun but $250 is a good buy. You would get more then that for trade value if you don't like it. I had one and never had a lick of a problem. I went to bolt actions for better accuracy and quit using it. Mine shot about 6" groups at 100 yards.

Mark Zauhar

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

To throw in my 2 cents...I've had a couple come into the shop with bad chambers. I kind of doubt they were ever shot with handloads, but the chambers appeared to be buldged just enough to not give up the empty case. One of the M-100's would tear the rim trying to eject the empty.

Doug

14. tulsey

tulsey Member

I have a .308 and I do not shoot it very often. It never has had a functioning problem. Take your time to sight it in letting it cool down between shots and it will shoot where you aim for that first shot in a hunting situation. If you warm up the barrel on mine the groups get larger and larger.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Does not make a bit of difference what problems they have. At $250 you are safe. After all it is a Wichester and the name alone has collector value. I have sold a ton of them at gun shows for a lot more than that

16. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

I have two. One is a .243 the other a .308. If you reload for it, avoid the slower powders as they cycle better using the faster burning powders. Each of mine will group 2" or less. Usually less. If you plan to shoot factory ammo, try several brands with the bullet weight you want to use, as you will usually find a Model 100 likes one brand better than others.

Unless the rifle is really a dog in appearance or has a function problem, don't be afraid to give more than $250. One big objection to these rifles is they all have mushy triggers. These were made with two different barrel lengths. The longer barrel is more desirable as the short one is quite loud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 100 winchester recall website

winchester model 100
winchester model 100 does not cycle well
winchester model 100 not cycling
winchester model 100 not cycling shells properly

winchester model 100 recall

winchester model 100 trade in value
winchester model 100 valuwe