1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody interested in brass inserts for pad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Anybody else interested in these for installing your butt pad to your stock? Thinking of putting together a package with/without the insert driver. Would come with 3/4" screws. Buy them in pairs. So much a pair. Not everybody needs a package of 25. 3/8" drill needed to install. Wood screws directly in the wood never seem to last. Tired of using toothpicks?

Let me know.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Midway USA already sells them for $15/pair from 100 Straight...made of steel and require only a 1/4" hole to install...comes with hex driver bit and socket-head screws.

MK

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought a handfull of different sizes at Lowes for $5. You are correct, they are the cats meow but I prefer the stainless because the brass strips easily and are just a few cents more. I do remember the toothpick days LOL

4. Unknown1

That's the problem... closest Lowe's is 40 miles!

MK

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Inserts, both brass and steel, and screws available at most ACE HARDWARE STORES. I believe they call them "FURNITURE INSERTS". Available in several sizes and with screwdriver or allen head insertion slots. Very inexpensive. Marc

6. joe kuhn

Lowes, Ace, Home Depot in my neighborhood don't have them. Will look into the stainless ones on line.

Ed Y tipped me off that a cap head screw can be used to install them. It won't take them out, but hopefully you won't need to.

I must admit this is mostly based on Ed Y's info. Thanks Ed.

Above is the link to the Midway USA product. Will try another Ace, for Furniture Inserts, that is close to my office.

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Hmmm, $11.40 for 25 or $15 for two...hmmm...let me think about this some more. No need to drive all over the place, just order them from McFeely's.

You may only need two today, but you will buy another gun down the road. Or share them with your shooting buddies. This is a great idea and should come in every new gun.

8. Unknown1

McFeely's also sells what are apparently the same steel inserts Midway sells but for considerably less money... made specifically to be installed in hardwoods like gun stocks... link above ^.

Two hangups:<ul><li>they are made in Germany and require a metric hex drive (Allen wrench) to install<LI>it costs $7 to ship a $3.80 pack of 10 (cheaper than Midway but the Midway kit includes driver and screws)</ul>
    Do you wonder why a company like McFeely's that specializes in square-drive threaded fasteners would sell something that like the brass inserts can only be installed with a flat blade screwdriver?

MK

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Who sells the best toothpicks?

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Here's a link to the place where I get mine. I bought a bunch a few years ago and they worked quite well. Prices are similar to other suppliers, but they have a much wider variety than most. I have some that were selected for hard woods and I cut some shallow threads before turning them in. I have a special tap made just for that. I have never split or damaged a stock with these. I also use the installation tool made for the inserts. Mine are mostly stainless, but I also have some of the brass inserts as well. Size 10-24 is my usual choice. 1/2" to 5/8" long, hex or phillips head fasteners work fine. I have some with a hex, domed style head that worked well. They aren't too wide to get into a pad and damaging it. I believe I got them at Reid Supply as well.

They have some made for plastic type stocks as well. I am thinking of a set for my Jack West.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Brownells sells Gun Nut inserts that work well in end grain. You need a little more length on the insert when it is used in end grain (stock). I have used these and they work very well.

Jim Skeel

12. joe kuhn

Got this specific part number from Quack.

13. joe kuhn

Another. Thanks Quack. This one looks like the inserts Ed Y and Dennis DeVault use.

My favorite hardware store had some in the fasteners isle, but they were all wierd sizes. Too small or too big.

Where are the stainless steel inserts I keep hearing about?

14. joe kuhn

Here's a stainless insert. Pack of 5 is $10.

15. joe kuhn

25 are $11.24 at McMaster. Part 90192A114.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The STI-120 at Reid supply is stainless.

17. joe kuhn

McMaster order came in and I installed 2 inserts, Part #90192A114. Problem is getting them to go in straight. I need to rig up an M5 allen that I can put in a drill or a screw driver handle, put the stock in the vice, and drive it straight in. I've tried the 'T' handle allens and they give too much. This is a tight fit with the recommended drill size. I dare not go larger.

18. checker

checker Member

Use level and "T" square to line up properly if no lathe....buy the Brownell's package.....
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.