1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Hunt w/a Release??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I know I'll hate myself for asking but does anyone hunt upland birds, waterfowl, rabbits, etc. with a release trigger?

Serious responses please...

sissy

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Nope, I have shot a release for over 20 years but my field gun has a pull trigger. I did flinch in the duck blind for a while but found out my Browning had about a 7 lb pull so I had a gunsmith (Phil Crenwelge) change it to just over 4 lb and I haven't had any trouble since then. I just never forget that the field gun has a pull trigger; it is so different from my trap guns. Flinching on the trap range seems so related to the gun mount and call for the target and the timing that it is a completely separate phenomena than field hunting.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I hunt clay birds with a release.

Pat Ireland

4. fly

fly Active Member

see the pheasant, or whatever bird you are hunting, mount, set, release. I do it for sporting just like that.

5. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Yes, I use a release in a 391 to upland hunt over pointing dogs, as long as they don't figure it out I will continue.

Fred J

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just take a look at the back of the trap house before answering the question. HMB

7. fly

fly Active Member

This isn't all caused by release triggers! What would be the problem with setting the release after the bird is up?

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ask your dog. HMB

9. fly

fly Active Member

I'm not getting the humor here?

10. fly

fly Active Member

I don't see how it would be unsafe if you didn't set the release until you were ready to fire. In Trap shooting, most guys set their trigger, and then call for the target. I believe it wouldn't be unsafe with this method.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

With trap shooting you don't use your safety, in the Field you do, or at least you should. Taking the safety off then trying to set release and focusing on a flushing bird is too many things going on. It just seems more natural to move gun to unsafe and pull trigger. JMO.

Wayne

12. fly

fly Active Member

did you ever see a really bad flinch? some of the ones I have seen and had are borderline unsafe. Mine were in a shooting box however.

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I am being serious. I wouldn't hunt upland birds with a realease nor would I hunt with anyone who does.

Steve

14. William681

William681 Member

AAtrap;

I wholy agree with you.
    Bird up, gun up, release trigger set, Grouse ducks behind trees.
    Now what?
    I, nor my dog, certainly do not want to be a part of your hunting party while you fumble around to make your gun safe.
    Late season upstate PA hunting is cold, gloves needed, think that might complicate the issue?
    I have never used a release trigger so can not fully appreciate their function, however, if I must keep the trigger pulled while I either break open the action, or engage the safety with my other hand, there is far to much potential for disaster.
    Don't want to step on anybody's toes, ..but.., I have been lucky that I have never seen a pull trigger shooter blow a hole in the ground in front of them, I cannot say the same for release shooters.
    At least with a traditional pull trigger, if the shot does not come off, simply remove your finger from the trigger, reset the safety, and everyone is happy and lives to hunt another day.

Fly;
    You made me laugh.

Sporting clays may emulate hunting situations, but once around the course, if you have paid attention, you have a pretty good idea where the bird is coming from and where it is going.

I cannot for the life of me remember once while hunting Pheasant, Grouse, or Woodcock, mounting the gun, setting my focus, and calling for the quarry to fly. I am sure the bird would also help me by staying in a 2-hole flight path.

det131;
    I'll be up 11/22 to chase some Grouse, could you warm things up?
    72 degrees when I left home, not looking forward to waking up to 27 degrees.
    I developed "southern blood" very quickly.

Bill Boston

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dumb Idea.

HM

16. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Bad idea. The trapshooters I hunt with that use release for clays all use pull in their hunting guns.

Rich in Indiana

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have hunted with a man who has a serious trigger problem. When shooting trap he must set the trigger before he mounts the gun. He still shoots a pull when hunting.

Like others here, I would not be anywhere near a hunter using a release.

As with most questions of this type: if you think it might be unsafe - it probably is. Trust your common sense.

Don Verna

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I tried it a couple times dove hunting. I won't do it again. The problems is not setting the trigger for the shot - it's not firing the gun after it's set. If you have to hold off on the shot, like the bird comes too close to a dog or another shooter. Just relaxing your trigger finger a little can cause the gun to fire.

19. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Seems like it would be downright dangerous?

20. det131

det131 Member

Bill:

Unfortunately your first transmission came through garbled and I have inadvertently scheduled much colder weather, starting on Thanksgiving. If you want to chase grouse in your shirtsleeves better get out early this week. For your enjoyment I have cranked up the speed on the grouse traps and set them to wobble. Shot absorbent trees have been planted to heighten your overall experience.

I was getting concerned as we had not seen the monster buck since the first week in October. I left you a picture on the table to drool over. It does appear that he managed to outwit the archers as he was sniffing after several doe's this past Saturday along the power line that crosses the driveway. Perhaps another big dollar pool is in order? Payout to the hunter that gets the monster, if he escapes another year, or is taken by someone not in the pool, monies go to the seed and fertilizer fund. I recall last time we did a big money pool you were already spending the cash until you saw what I had on the ground. I am pretty sure I did spend it wisely.

See you soon.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.