1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Hunt Pheasants With A 20 Gauge?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

My interest in pheasant hunting is picking up again. I haven't been in a few years. I never hunted with a 20 gauge. Been thinking of buying one to go with. Any advice on gun-choke-load? Should I stick with 12 gauge?

2. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

I hunt over dogs with a 28 gauge using 1 oz of 6's.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sure- it is the size of the shot- shoot 4s and they will drop

I have a couple of 20 gauges I use

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Pen birds and early part of the season, you're okay with a 20. Later part of the season those birds get a little flighty and then the big artillery comes out.

ss

5. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Merkel Side by Side 20. Mod choked and 1 oz. of #6's puts them down nicely if I do my part.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

A 410 will reach just as far as a 12. You just don't have as many pellets in the pattern.

I've always used a 20 gauge with copper coated #5's.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes but the 16 and 12 are much better. You want to be able to shoot 1 1/4 of #4 or #5 shot at about 1,300 Fps. The smaller gauges have pretty thin patterns with the bigger shot and you really do need the bigger pellets to get the penetration required for consistent clean kills.

As to the gun, you want something that carries well and shoots where you look. The o/us are nice but you may want the extra capacity of a pump or auto. Here is my short list of Rooster guns, M37 Ithaca 16 gauge, 686 Beretta 12 gauge, M391 Beretta 12 gauge. Most of the time a modified choke is about right but there are times when a skeet choke might be just the ticket like when working dense brush with good dogs or on the other extreme you might want a full choke if you are shooting at driven birds.

If you are talking about pheasant shooting as in canned birds then the smaller gauges will do fine with most any load. But pheasant hunting aka wild birds is more about the hunt and not a good place to have some kind of a sub gauge handicap.

8. SI

SI TS Member

I hunt almost exclusively with a 20 ga. for pheasants in SD. No pen raised. Have labs and that helps. Use #5 premium lead shells, copper or zinc coated. On lands requiring non-toxic I use #2 or #3 premium steel or Hevi Shot. The gun carry's better, swings easier etc. I currently use either a Beretta 3901 or 870 LW 3inch. Usually modified choke works for me.
    Dan

9. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

In our group there are more cripples from the guys with 20s even using 3 inch 1 1/4 oz shells.

They sure carry nice but I'd stick with a 12 personally.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time I hunted with anything other than a 28 gauge.

Typically #6 shot. Never felt under-gunned.

Often take friends out to hunt over my dog - politeness dictates they get the fist shot - often they will miss and I get the 'last shot.' Never missed that many birds... Like the light gun after 4 ~ 6 hours walking in a field too...

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

6 shot backed by 5 shot in my O/u which is improved over modified

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

For Oregon mixed bag hunts for quail and pheasants, over dogs, I use a 20 gauge O&U. I normally load up with #8s for quail with imp cyl under modified. When I think we are approaching pheasants cover, I reload with 3" with 1 1/8 oz. of copper plated #6. Over pointers, I don't have any problems with just wounding birds.

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

Use to hunt with aan old single shot 20ga.,I believe it was im choked until I blew the end ogg barrel(another story) better thanoc after that,swithed guns after that,I think pheasants learned to fly between shot LMAO>

Doug H.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

3 inch 20 O/U, and I don't think I am giving anything away.

Good dogs keep the birds close, and we get very few runners.

HM

15. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Last year I tied something, To see which I coild kill more canada geese with a 20ga. or 12ga? I took each one the same amount of times and I killed 2 more with the 20 than the 12. I know there are more limitations with a 20 but if you put the shot in the right place it does'nt matter what you shoot.

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Benelli Ultralight 12 gauge. Carries like a 20 (6.1 pounds for 26" barrel), shoots like a 12. That's right, it is a 12 gauge.

17. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Some people get so hung up on gauge they forget about good shooting. I duck hunt at a place that has man made blinds and ponds and when you check in of a morning you get one assigned to you. Mostly all there is to shoot are wood ducks and pintails, I see guys with 3 1/2" 12's and even 10 guages, These are small ducks are these guns really needed?

18. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

The link below is a good article on this issue.

http://hunting.about.com/od/shotgun/l/aapheasantgunsa.htm

19. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Carried only the 20ga. last year. 29 roosters in Ia, ks, sd. Never lost one. Ok, I would have lost a number of them except for a, better than I deserve, English Setter. Thank you Lily. Late in season you can use 3 inch ounce and a quarter of 5's. Figure the only thing I'm giving up is the weight.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've used a Browning Model 12 in 20ga with 3" #4 steel shot (non-toxic shot zone) through a fixed mod choke. It patterns full. That's a pretty hefty load for close flushing birds, which I resolved by simply waiting for them to put a bit of distance between me and them before firing. Anyway, I see nothing wrong with a 20ga for pheasants. None of the ones I shot complained. that I was undergunned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 gauge shotgun pheasant hunting

best nontox 20 ga pheasant quail combo

hunting pheasants with 20 gauge