1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Here Support the Boy Scouts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JBrooks, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Our Club lets the Boy Scouts use our facility, free of charge, for a week each summer for their day camp. A great group of people building good young men. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees.

Democrats Stick Anti-Religion & Anti-Boy Scout Provision In Stimulus

Posted by Erick Erickson
    Redstate.com

Tuesday, February 3rd at 8:15PM EST

"Barack Obama was the first President to recognize unbelievers in his inaugural address. He is also advancing the secularization of America in his stimulus by prohibiting the use of federal funds in building projects that might touch on religion.

The Boy Scouts has been a target of the left for a while. Though non-denominational, it has a strong sectarian influence in its rules, teachings, and beliefs structure.

According to the Supreme Court, the Boy Scouts can deny employment to gays because of the private nature of the organization. Ever since that decision, the left has tried to shut the scouts out of public buildings. The Democrats in Congress have taken up the shut down the scouts.

In both the House and Senate version of the stimulus there is a provision that is tailor made for the ACLU to shut down more boy scout troops, divinity schools, etc.

As Jeff Poor notes

Both versions of the bill, the House version (H.R. 1) that passed on Jan. 28 by a 244-188 margin, without a single Republican vote, and the Senate version (S. 336), which will probably be voted on in the next few days – include language that would “prohibit” modernization, renovation, or repair of facilities:

used for sectarian instruction, religious worship, or a school or department of divinity; or
    in which a substantial portion of the functions of the facilities are subsumed in a religious mission
    Such language is regrettable and could leave some institutions of higher learning susceptible to a legal action by organizations like the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) according to a spokesman from South Carolina Republican Sen. Jim DeMint’s office. . . .
    The bill includes $20 billion for school “modernization, renovation or repair of facilities” – with $14 billion for elementary and secondary schools and $6 billion for higher education, which includes the secular string attached.

What exactly is “a substantial portion”? If an organization lets the scouts meet in their facility, will they no longer be able to use government money to fix their building?

Will local school systems scared of losing funding shut down Christian student groups? Will schools that have religion departments shut down those departments lest they run afoul of the provisions?

In fact, the provision is so broad, it will very potentially have a chilling effect on all religious instruction and groups that have a religious affiliation. Never mind that Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion."

2. sbhced

sbhced Member

Proud father of an Eagle Scout.

How can any thinking person believe ACORN is worthy of Gov't "assistance", but Boy Scouts are not?

Ed

3. SAMinWI

SAMinWI TS Member

After several years as Cubmaster and Scoutmaster, and father of 2 Eagle Scouts, I still believe it is a great organization.

Yours in Shooting,
    Sam Gascho

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you were a liberal democrat you would think that is normal.

Don

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I just filled out paperwork to Coach and R.O. Boy Scout shooters. Good group.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My biggest regret is being one merit badge away from becoming an Eagle Scout and quiting. Girls and cars got in the way; greatest time of my life was spent in scouting.

7. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Ed and Sam

I am with you - I was a CubMaster, Soutmaster, Council Comissioner and worked summer camp for 5 years.

My son is an Eagle Scout, and worked at Philmont for 5 summers while going to the University of Nebraska.

My daughter was president of a Venture crew for 2 years She earned Wood Badge when she was 20. (been told at the time that she may be the youngest woman to ever get Wood Badge - the youngest we have found in NE by 10+ years)

I think that it is time to call and write to our Sens and Reps and let them know that we have a strong opinion and that we do vote.

John

8. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

I am also the proud father of an Eagle Scout and will defend the BSA anywhere, anytime. The club I am secretary of, Quinton Sportsmens Club, will be host again this year to several Scout Troops for a day of shooting and recreation. We shoot trap, skeet and .22 rifles until everyone is tired of shooting or we run out of ammo, and we rarely run out of ammo! We have a ball and do not have any problems finding volunteers to come out and help.

Long live the BSA and all they stand for!

Jere Cossaboom

9. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Yes, the left hates people who have morals or who try to promote morality. Unfortunately that includes the Boy Scouts. Somehow the left has come to view the separation of church and state as a separation of state and morality. How sad for our country and our future.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

I have nothing against the Boy Scouts, but I do think that if they're going to be an exclusionary organization (which the Court holds they are, as any private group should be allowed to be)...then they shouldn't pitch a fit if they are excluded from some things, themselves. They are more than capable of finding their own "free" place to hold meetings. If they want to use something like a public school building, they should rent it out and pay for it, at minimum.

Many Americans seem to have lost sight of the difference between what is "private" and what is "public." Anything that sharpens that line of demarcation between the two is a good thing, IMO.

11. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Last time I checked, PUBLIC schools are public facilities.

Locally, many new churches get started in public schools - they meet there till they can afford to buy or build.

The Boy Scouts, Girl Souts, 4H and a ton of others use these public facilities.

The sporting facilities at the schools and local parks are used by church teams, pubic school teams, private school teams, YMCA, YWCA............

I agree with the idea that if you leave a mess that you pay to clean it up or are told not to return, but feel strongly that everyone should have access.

John

12. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I do support the Boy Scouts. The boys are taught values and principles that are lost on the politicians that are gaining power in this country. We would not have the corruption in the world if more people had the principles that are taught in the scouting program.

Arnie

13. randy-s

randy-s Member

Many of my life's fondest memories are the result of scouting. My first trip to Disneyland, camping, fishing and hiking all over California's High Sierras, two summers as a councelor at Camp Verdugo Pines to name a few. One of my closest friends today, 56 years later, I met at my first scout meeting. We are both Eagle Scouts. Our fathers were our leaders. What a time we had. Thanks for the thread and the memories. Randy

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I was a Cub Master for five years, as well as a Den Leader.<br>
    <br>
    This law is anti-religion and discriminatory, because the Boy Scouts ARE a religious organization. Period. They require their members to have a belief in God. They do not specify a particular religion, but you must have one to be a member. Scouts can earn religious merit badges for every major religion in the world.<br>
    <br>
    I've stated before that some of the biggest bigots in this country are liberals. This is prima facia evidence.<br>
    <br>
    As for the suggestion that scouts rent meeting rooms like other groups, our pack did. We cut a check every month to the school. Just like every other group, including church groups.<br>
    <br>

15. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I support the Scouts. I use my United Way pledge at work to direct my contribution, and my company's matching contribution to the Sequoia Council(Central California) of the BSA. It probably drives the United Way nuts to give that money to the Scouts, but they are bound to do it.

I was a Life Scout, member of the Order of the Arrow, and an assistant Scoutmaster. My Dad was involved with Scouting for 30 years, taking 2 Troops to Philmont. The skills that I learned in scouts are still applicable today. It pains me to no end to see the moonbats on the left attack the Boy Scouts. There is not a finer organization for our young men.

16. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

It may make it slightly tougher, but like other things, they (libs) won't be successful in their endeavor regarding this. There's too many people with stroke and $$$ that will make sure the Scouts live on. And wouldn't surprise me if some new support doesn't arrive, once the word is out of how this came to be.

I happen to know some lefties that are big Scout supporters too, this isn't going to set well with them. osamabamabots or not, this may be a good thing in the end.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Yes I do! I started in Cubs and then into Scouts some 50+ years ago. It meant a lot to me as one who had lost his father early in life. My son went through the same attaining much higher status, just missing Eagle, again girls and cars. I am sure his boys will go through the same and hoepfully we will get our first Eagle scout in the family. Many good memories as a scout and as a leader.

I quit supporting the United Way because of their stand on the gay issue with the scouts and the fact the United Way leaders kept taking the money. I now, like many others, support the Scouts directly and always will.

What Scouts teach is opposite of what the Dems want you to believe, so their attitude doesn't surprise me. Support the BSA as much as you can as it is the only good example that some young boys get. In our screwed up society of one parent families it is the only good male influence they see.

Don

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

A great organization. I introduced my son and some of his fellow scouts to hunting. I still remember shooting 22's and archery at scouts. Our troop met in a church. The left hates the scouts because they exclude boy scout leaders that are homosexual and want to take young boys out in the woods on overnight campouts and because they dare to teach patriotism and mention God. All good reasons for the left to hate the boy scouts. Then there are those uniforms. The left hates men, or boys, in uniform. I hate the left. Since the left runs America I don't see why the boy scouts would have any trouble getting a church that would allow them to meet there. I don't think the evil federal government should have ever become involved in public education in the first place. They should let people take their share of the tax money stolen from them and take their children to the private school of their choice. But the left runs America and they are never for choice, with the exception of killing babies in the womb.

19. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Baden Powell would roll over in his grave. The public is all of us. If you dont like a program then dont belong. I am an eagle scout (at 14yrs).Did that in 1957. It is a worthwhile program that sets values and standards that are way above the standards of nearly all politicos. Our politicians could learn a bunch from scouting.

Bob
    Troop23, SES222, OA lodge35.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.