1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Have Pictures of Ultimate Fit Comb?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by prairiedog, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

I bought a used PFS with an ultimate fit comb last fall but the UFC looks like it was an afterthought. It doesn't look like it came with all the necessary hardware.

If you have pictures of a PFS with UFC, it would help me to determine how they need to be mounted on the PFS and whether or not I need to buy a UFC toolkit from Vern Brown. I've been to his website and couldn't find a picture of a UFC mounted on a PFS.

2. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

No, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

That's the factory model.
    Why do you think it looks like an afterthought?
    It works really well.

4. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

FFwildcat, I didn't say the UFC looked like an afterthought, I said the way it was mounted on the used PFS I purchased last fall looked like it was just an afterthought. In other words, I don't believe anyone ever used it mounted like it was; it looked like it had essential hardware missing and I couldn't (can't) figure out how it ever worked (as far as using/adjustments) on the PFS as it was as I received it. That's why I'm looking for pictures as a guide to how it SHOULD be mounted and what additional hardware I will need to mount it. I couldn't find anything on Vern Brown's website that dealt with the UFC other than they had them available for sale. Not even a price.

5. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Looks like you have all you need. If your right handed it mounts on right side of stock

jpark

Will take pic in the am if you need it

6. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Mollyone

Pictures would be appreciated. Even a small amount of pressure on the top of the comb will cause it to slide down the adjustment slots on the L bracket. If I could just see one properly mounted, it would be a "I could have had a V8" moment, I'm sure.

7. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

While on the subject, what is the alleged benefit of the Ultimate Fit over the standard PFS comb? gyrine

8. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Right side of stock I bought button head allens for hight adj. reg.allens seemed to catch on my shirt. The ultimate fit comb gave me more cast off

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

gyrine:

The UFC allows more cast without using a severe angle on the standard comb. With the UFC you get a better check to stock fit than laying your face along the surface of the standard comb.

Don Verna

10. zinger

zinger Member

this is mine, RH set up with nylon washers underneath

11. zinger

zinger Member

and the other side. Hope this helps

12. zinger

zinger Member

you might have to turn the comb block around so the screws are on the opposite side of your cheek so that it won't catch on your shirt. It's possible that whoever had the PFS before you didn't know how to mount the UFComb?

13. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Mollyone

It looks like you have spacers underneath the outside (buttonhead allens) screws. If so, where did you get them and what type are they, regular washers or "grip" washers (I forget what the funky lock washers with all the points are called).

Dverna

It looks like the UFC is flush against the split ring assy and that you removed the washers from the inner allen head bolts. That so? And yes, the UFC was mismounted when I got the PFS. It was mounted on the left side, not the right as yours is.

Would it be worth it to go ahead and spring for a UFC toolkit from Vern, do you think?

14. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Wanted a little more cast, when I moved comb over on the left side the angle would rub on my cheek , so moved comb and angle as one, used small washers. I have extra button allens and washers . Send pm with address if you need them

I don:t think you need to buy the kit

jpark

do the grand

15. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Mollyone

Are you a lefty? If so, you can disassemble the top rail from the PFS so that you can reverse the split ring assy (slide off the split ring from the top rail, reverse, slide on and then reverse the comb). That way those pesky allen head screws won't be a problem as they will be on the left side of the PFS. At least I think so. I have enough trouble with 2D problems let alone 3D. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oops! I see zinger already mentioned that. Thought he was talking to me.

16. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Prairiedog

The split ring is bored off center to reverse it will put more cast to left side, and yes it can be reversed. I am right handed shooter. If your a right shooter I think it would going the wrong way for you

17. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

I have a friend that is looking at buying one of these. Anyone have one for sale?

GBEER

18. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Prairiedog,
    There two sets of fasteners where the comb mounts, one set serves to pinch the comb mounting block and the other pair have two threaded bushings that screw into the mounting block. These bushings are threaded to accept the two button head screws that hold the standard comb in place. These are the holes the UFC "L" bracket fasten into. I had the same problem of the comb sliding. When I took a hard look at the mounting block I came to understand I could tighten these fasteners very tight as they would not pinch the mounting block as the threaded bushings bore the pressure and did not pinch the block. In Zingers picture you can see these fasteners. Vern makes differnt length bushings to push the standard comb away from the stock, you can identify these by the slots across the thread holes. The sloted holes must be up against the "L" bracket.When using the UFC you can acheive cast adjustment by moving the comb pins right or left. Vern told me when I bought the comb, the "L" bracket should be away from my cheek. I'm a left hand shooter so the "L" bracket is mounted on the left side of the stock.
    Does this help?
    Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ultimate fit comb

ultimate fit comb instructions