1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody have diverticulitis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by leftex, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

Started feeling bad mid morning Friday. Stayed at work till noon. Went to the ER. 5 hours later I was told I had diverticulitis. I was admitted to the hospital and stayed till Sunday afternoon. Very painful.
    Any tips on preventing a recurrence.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. ED'S GUN NUT HUT

ED'S GUN NUT HUT TS Member

Don't eat anything with seeds:strawberries,raspberries,etc. Nothing that won't digest:corn,popcorn,lettuce,etc. If you want salad eat one made with spinach. It will come with experience what to avoid. My wife has had surgery twice for it. The initial one and a second one a year or so later for scar tissue from going back to work too early. Good luck. Ed

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ask your Doctor about foods to avoid so you don't keep getting flare ups ... How did they determine you have Diverticulitus, this is usually something they find when they scope your colon ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Eds' right, and stay away from seeded sandwich buns!

5. leftex

leftex Active Member

WPT,
    CT scan. Had a colonoscopy about 4 years ago and nothing showed up. Watching what I eat is going to be no fun.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My dad and brother each had it very bad. Seeds and small pieces of food get trapped in little pockets of flesh in the intestines called diverticuli, form polyps full of blood and burst, often leaving a scar or abscess.

My brother ignored it for years and had to have emergency surgery to remove several feet of bowel. He went to the toilet and saw about a pint of blood in the toilet bowl and drove to the emergency room.

See a doctor and follow the doctor’s instructions. Untreated, diverticulitis can result in several bad outcomes.

Ed Ward

7. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Had a horrible bout of it last month. Loads of fiber each day help immensely and, as soon as you start feeling like something's coming on, get into the doctor right away. The longer you let it wait, hoping it'll just 'go away', the more likely you'll need surgery.

Exercise, extra fiber, and be aware of the stuff that your body doesn't like. Good luck!

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

From the site of the National Institutes of Health:

"Avoidance of nuts, popcorn, and sunflower, pumpkin, caraway, and sesame seeds has been recommended by physicians out of fear that food particles could enter, block, or irritate the diverticula. However, no scientific data support this treatment measure. Eating a high-fiber diet is the only requirement highly emphasized across the medical literature. Eliminating specific foods is not necessary. The seeds in tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries, and raspberries, as well as poppy seeds, are generally considered harmless."

Full link is above.

I have had it twice (never really cleared it up the first time) and have never been in so much pain.

Use Metamucil every day, high fiber is the key to avoiding recurrence.

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Both of my episodes have been rough. I let the first one go for 4 days and by the time I got to the Dr. one had burst. My temp had spiked and my blood looked real bad. They set up IV antibiotics and then went to soup d'jour antibiotics which I was on for 45 days. Got thrush all over the inside of my mouth and it was a painful, tedious ovarall experience. It took a long time for my lower cage to feel normal. It even hurt to pee.

They can easily diagnose "divertic" with an MRI. The polyps stick out like a sore thumb. My surgeon did tell me, however, that the seed issue was an old wive's tale and that in all the operations he had performed to clean up such messes, he had never seen a seed.

When my second bout came along, I went in right away and in 30 days, the antibiotics had cleared it up.

Don't play around with diverticulitis.

My wife just told me to add that it's "All about the Fiber". If you have to strain to poop, the crud just gets mashed into your diverticuli.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

leftex,

Sounds like it might be about time for another Colonoscopy to see just how bad it is ... The Doctor who performs it will be able to give you ideas of what foods to avoid and how to keep it from happening again ... I have had several bouts with Diverticulitis and they are not fun, a change in diet usually helps out a bunch ... Once you are found to have Diverticulitis they usually want you to have a Colonoscopy every 2 to 3 years to prevent the possibility of more serious problems in your colon ... I get one every 2 to 3 years to stay ahead of the possible problems ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. leftex

leftex Active Member

The doc says wait 4 to 6 weeks before the colonoscopy to make sure everything has healed. This is to eliminate/reduce the possibility of a perforation with the camera.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

12. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I've gone through this,and its NOT fun.Went from about 230 to 152 when they finally did the surgury.I was on Cepro for about a year before the doctors finally diagnosted me with diverticulitis(they were treating for Lymes up to that point)The doctor removed 14" of my lower intestines that had eaten through itself,and was eating my bladder in the same manner.Really F'ed me up for about 3 years.I'm just glad that alls well now....Thank the Lord!
    It's sooooooo good to feel normal again.
    Smoke 'em all

D.P.Reynolds

13. dward

dward Member

I went in last November with severe abdominal pains and ended up having 10 inches of colon removed. I might have gotten by with antibiotics, but I asked the surgeon what was the surest way to make it go away. I also asked the doctor what caused it and if it could be heredity. He said no to heredity as there are very few if any cases in poorer areas of the world, which is due to less processed foods and meat ...... ie..more fiber.

The diverticuli are little pouches, like a bubble in an inner tube, that are generally caused by too much pressure in the colon. Like a previous poster mentioned.......if your straining to get through the #2s it's putting too much pressure on the colon. My surgeon also dispelled the nuts and popcorn as causing diverticulitus...stating that recent case studies don't back it up.

If I had to give a reason for mine it would be too much red meat and not enough fiber. I try to drink a glass of Citracell (soluble fiber) and eat more salads/fiber.

All I can say is that in the old western movies where they say if you want to shoot someone and make him die the most painful death, "shoot him in the guts"........I'll attest to that!!

14. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

Aloevin is one of the best things to soothe your digstive track. I use this product. a bit pricey. I know they sound like snake oil salesman, but it does work .Lou

15. drucker

drucker TS Member

after my first bout with it I had 60% of my large intestine removed. Would do it again without question. Don't screw with it, remove it and live life again.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

dward,

I don't think the peanuts, pop corn and such cause Diverticulitis, I think they just irritate the condition according to my Doctor, there again its all in who you talk to ... I love salads but have to take it easy with the intake on the lettuce or I will have a problem ... Popcorn and peanuts are limited but I still like to have some once in awhile ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Go light on the cheese, or suffer. OOOch.

HM

18. dward

dward Member

WPT,

I think you're right in that excess pressure in the colon "cause or create" the diverticuli (pouches), and different foods can "irritate" or cause serious infections in one of the pouches which can burst like mine did.

A little background....I have managed food businesses most of my career and I remember going to food shows back in the early 90s when Dr. Atkins was peddling his first book from a small booth next to ours. And in talking to Atkins, he had me convinced that you couldn't eat too much meat or protein. About that same time my son was diagnosed at age 8 with type 1 diabetes. A diabetics diet is very similar to the protein diet, in that it limits carbs. Well to set an example for my son I basically adopted the protein diet (very low carbs) as my diet. So when I was trying to determine why I ended up in emergency surgery for diverticulitis, I would have to say that that too much protein is the reason.

And in general the much greater protein intake of the "western" countries is the primary reason for much higer instances of diverticulitis. And studies show that most all of us will develop some of these diverticuli (pouches) in our colon as we age, but not all will have one of them become infected and require medical treatment.

So in closing, I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that adding fiber to ones diet (bulk) and reducing the amount of protein, will help limit ones chances of having a serious episode with diverticulitis.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I was scoped three weeks ago diagnosis was severe diverticulos. I'd had some discomfort a week or so before being scoped. It went away after some metamucial. I just went for the scope becauase I it was ten years since the last one. I read these post yesterday and called my doc for a follow up consult.Need to figure out what to do and what not to do. I count my self lucky there were no polps or worse.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

For some really good information and answers to most medical questions about just about any disease or Medical problem go to :
    (www.WebMD.com) ... There is a wealth of information on that site and links to many other sites that some people might find helpfull ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.