1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Familiar With Tannerite?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I know a centerfire rifle will do the trick.

If a "small amount" is defined as being the size of a restaurant single serving sugar packet, would a shotshell do the trick on a small amount?

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Yes I am familiar with it and it's a good way to ruin a good gun. What you have is ammonium nitrate and real fine aluminum powder mixed together, it does not burn, it detonates. Being caught with the 2 ingredients mixed together is a felony, they say if you want to make exploding targets, mix the 2 there where you intend shoot it.
  3. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Jul 24, 2011
    It has to be a a rifle with some punch behind it.

from their website

Tannerite is a binary explosive used primarily as a target for firearms practice. Tannerite is unique in that it is exceptionally stable when subjected to less severe forces such as a hammer blow or being dropped. It is more than 1000 times safer than ordinary black powder since it is not flammable and can not be initiated by any kind of flame or electricity. It is supplied as two powders which are combined to produce the explosive. Tannerite is a trademarked name, and binary exploding targets are a patented invention by Daniel J. Tanner/Oregon.

Tannerite Company recommends using 0.5-pound (0.23 kg) preparations of the substance, which should detonate when shot by a high-powered rifle. Small caliber rim-fire or slow moving pistol ammunition will not initiate a detonation.

Tannerite detonations occur at a very high velocity, producing a large explosion and cloud of water vapor. It may be useful for persons who are firing at long ranges; in this scenario, a long-range rifle shooter places targets downrange, retreats to his firing position, and fires. The shooter does not have to walk down range to see if he has a hit, the Tannerite will detonate and serve as an indicator.

Since the two components are not explosive until mixed, they can legally be purchased in the USA without a license. They can be legally used for sporting purposes in conjunction with small arms, just like black powder and other exempt sporting powder.

The federal government, not the state, governs the manufacture of explosives. They specifically exempt the need for an explosives manufacturing license in five separate statutes. In the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Publication 5400. Q&A section, question #48 expressly addresses that a license that a license is not needed for personal, non-commercial manufacture and use of binary explosives. (Click here for link)

Got Questions? Tannerite offers an array of Frequent Questions (and Answers) in response to inquiries about our products and the policies that surround them. Feel free to bookmark the following list for future reference and watch for updates:

Homemade Tannerite

Tannerite Exploding Targets

Can you make Tannerite charges smaller or larger?

Yes you can. To make smaller targets, you can simply mix a 1/2 pound target and pour the contents into a container of your choice. It’s best if the container is not brittle, but just about any container will work. Marksmen have good luck using Chew/snuff cans as target canisters. A really good idea when shooting either small targets, or when shooting at very long ranges, is to wrap the target in Duck-Tape. This prevents a spill or leak if the bullet strikes a little low and ricochets into the charge, or is a fringe hit, or hits the lid on the target. To make larger targets, simply tape one on top of the other and by hitting one, it will initiate them both…thus making a much louder target. Common sense and local noise regulations dictate how much you can use without getting cited for disturbing the peace.

How many spoons of catalyst do I mix into a target?

1 LEVEL teaspoon/5cc (one scoop) per 1/2 pound target. If you use too much catalyst, it will be “Fuel-rich”, not unlike a carburetor that is oxygen-lean, and you will get a sluggish explosion or none at all. For one pound targets, you have two options. You can simply double the amount of catalyst (two scoops/teaspoons per pound). Just don’t more catalyst than is recommended.

What if I am approached by an authority and questioned about my targets?

Be honest. Show them your Tannerite, explain what you are doing, and if they have further questions, offer them our phone number and website. We have been educating LEOs on Tannerite for many years. If you are doing something stupid though (like strapping targets to trees or otherwise destroying property on public lands) we will not support you. Tannerite is sold as a shot-indicator for long range shooting. If you get nailed for blowing up a computer and leaving trash on public property like so many idiots on You-tube, you are on your own. If you are told to stop shooting because others are complaining about the noise, then stop. Do not be as ass and taunt the bull.

How could something so fun, be legal everywhere?

Answer: Because Tannerite falls under the same laws as black powder and all other explosives that are exempt for sporting use. Refer to the link in the previous paragraph for more hard information on all binary explosives manufacture and use. Remember though, just because it’s a legal product if used as prescribed, does not mean that you can use it in any manner you wish. Not unlike firearms, you can legally shoot them, but there are places where it is forbidden. It is up to the end-user to obtain local authority permission before using our product unless it’s on private property. Even then, if you live close to others it’s best to contact them and explain what you are doing…the same as you should do if you set out to cap off your bowling ball cannon or shoot your 5o caliber rifle.
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    Yeah i don't think Sissy was wanting to load it in a shell, i think he meant he wanted to shoot it with a shotshell. I know him personally and he is slightly more intelligent than that. :)
  5. ky4some

ky4some Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I've shot at my fair share of tannerite targets. No a shotgun round will not ignite it. Neither will a handgun round. It must be from a high powered centerfire rifle round.

Mike Kamer
  6. locdoc

locdoc Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Antrim, NH
    I think, generally speaking, 2200 fps is the reccommended minimum speed for reliable detonation.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist
  7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's not the mass of the bullet or shot, it's the speed. It takes a certain amount of kinetic energy to initiate detonation. Generally 22 Hornet and up works OK.

Tannerite is perfectly legal as long as you d not mix and transport the mixture. It has to be mixed and used immediately on site.

Because of the difficulty in some areas of getting dynamite for shoots, Tannerite has become more popular.

Common sense should prevail. One guy used 100 lbs of Tannerite to blow an old dump truck to Mars. The shockwave set off a security alert at a nearby nuclear facility and got him in a lot of hot water.

Another schmuck tried to make a bazooka rocket with a Tannerite warhead, which is illegal. He wound up blowing his hand off when it detonated in the launch tube.

Use it as intended, use reasonable and prudent amounts, at a safe distance, and wear safety glasses.

Click the link for the website. Lots of information there.

BTW, Dan Tanner is a good friend of mine, and we've hunted deer together.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much conectic energyto ignight tannerite

large black powder cannon disturbing the peace